Quantcast Innoventions - closed?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Innoventions - closed?

I just read on another website that Innoventions was currently closed and the opening date was "unknown". Anyone know what is going on there? My kids actually really like the Great Piggy Bank Adventure and will be bummed if we miss it on the next trip - as it may be our last one for a while. Any info would be very much appreciated!!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Innoventions is closed.

The contracts for most of the companies involved there have expired and not renewed. With no sponsors, Disney has elected to close the pavilion. Disney has not announced what may eventually replace Innoventions (if anything) or any timeline.

Think "Wonders of Life", part 2 (or 3, or 4 depending on how you count things).

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We loved the Piggy Bank Adventure too! We are going to miss it, as well as the Fire Safety game. There are hopes that some new things might go in the space, but there are no plans (at least not public plans).

The other side of Innoventions is still open, including Habit Heroes, Stormstruck and the Sum of All Fears. Not the same ... but we're happy something is still there.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

For the life of me - I don't understand the close it with nothing to replace it mentality that seems to be driving WDW. It's a huge area in the front of the park - and for them to simply close it with no plans on what to do with it (Which is exactly what I heard) is poor planning at best. It's not like they didn't know the contracts were coming up end of life....

We've talked about it many times on the podcast - there really needs to be a 2020 plan for Epcot that re-evaluates the park as a whole and what needs to be done to get it back to the greatness it once was...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    We loved the Piggy Bank Adventure too! We are going to miss it, as well as the Fire Safety game. There are hopes that some new things might go in the space, but there are no plans (at least not public plans).

The other side of Innoventions is still open, including Habit Heroes, Stormstruck and the Sum of All Fears. Not the same ... but we're happy something is still there.
    I walked through there on Thursday and even the open side is pretty sad. If you walk in from the entrance near The Land you walk into a path with constructions walls.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly wonder if some of the "issues" with what exactly to do with Epcot are reflections of societal changes. It seems that there is an unfortunate "distancing" that a large portion of the US population is currently taking away from solid science. Hence the recent push for STEM and such in our schools. (And as a professional visual artist and art professor, I'm an advocate of STEAM, not STEM. The "A" there is for Art.)

Seems to me a goodly portion of the earlier Epcot offerings were based in the areas of the sciences and engineering.

Those kinds of things are not "fashionable" (or even believed in) anymore with an awful lot of Americans. So if you stay with that kind of theming in Epcot....... it is not "commercial" and doesn't have as broad appeal.

So do you go the "Frozen" route....... or do you go more 'climate science'? The business-profits side says to go one way.... the underlying theme says the other. Puts management in a bind.

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

My DD12 asked for a microscope for Christmas. She's an "A" student and I am thrilled she likes science. I told her, "There's a whole section in Epcot dedicated to experiments and technology." We never spend much time there (World Showcase dominates much of our time in Epcot,) but on next trip she and I could spend the afternoon "checking things out" while DW & DS5 walk and shop. She is going to be bummed.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    I certainly wonder if some of the "issues" with what exactly to do with Epcot are reflections of societal changes. It seems that there is an unfortunate "distancing" that a large portion of the US population is currently taking away from solid science. Hence the recent push for STEM and such in our schools. (And as a professional visual artist and art professor, I'm an advocate of STEAM, not STEM. The "A" there is for Art.)

Seems to me a goodly portion of the earlier Epcot offerings were based in the areas of the sciences and engineering.

Those kinds of things are not "fashionable" (or even believed in) anymore with an awful lot of Americans. So if you stay with that kind of theming in Epcot....... it is not "commercial" and doesn't have as broad appeal.

So do you go the "Frozen" route....... or do you go more 'climate science'? The business-profits side says to go one way.... the underlying theme says the other. Puts management in a bind.

best,

..................john
    I am not familiar with either STEM or STEAM, what do they mean?
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I am not familiar with either STEM or STEAM, what do they mean?
    STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics It is a focus on the education of these fields.

STEAM is the same, but with the addition of Art. Quite frankly, I think that art should be incorporated with any good education, especially when talking about technology and engineering. No one wants ugly bridges.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not only about creating beautiful objects....although that is an important aspect. The integration of the A into STEM is also important because what the arts teach a LOT about is critical thinking, problem solving, risk taking, perseverance, giving and taking constructive criticism, collaboration, and that hard-to-quantify "creativity" term.

All of those concepts are needed in the fields of science and engineering. Many companies today are looking for people outside their normal fields of interest holding MFA degrees ..... because of those very attributes that the arts contribute.

Artists tend to color outside the lines .

What would DISNEY be without art?

best,

............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    It's not only about creating beautiful objects....although that is an important aspect. The integration of the A into STEM is also important because what the arts teach a LOT about is critical thinking, problem solving, risk taking, perseverance, giving and taking constructive criticism, collaboration, and that hard-to-quantify "creativity" term.

All of those concepts are needed in the fields of science and engineering. Many companies today are looking for people outside their normal fields of interest holding MFA degrees ..... because of those very attributes that the arts contribute.

Artists tend to color outside the lines .

What would DISNEY be without art?

best,

............john
    AMEN. Without art, we'd have no Imagineers.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more!
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    For the life of me - I don't understand the close it with nothing to replace it mentality that seems to be driving WDW. It's a huge area in the front of the park - and for them to simply close it with no plans on what to do with it (Which is exactly what I heard) is poor planning at best. It's not like they didn't know the contracts were coming up end of life....

We've talked about it many times on the podcast - there really needs to be a 2020 plan for Epcot that re-evaluates the park as a whole and what needs to be done to get it back to the greatness it once was...
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

This is so sad. Epcot is our favorite park(all of us, even my kids have loved Epcot since they were little). So sad that they are moving away from the science/learning aspect.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

A park, even just a section of a park like Future world used to be, dedicated to hands on learning and inventing is exactly what my kids want. They want to get in and play with things. Everything can't be a show or a ride through show. They want to touch and learn.

My DD were there a couple weekends ago and the entrance to Innoventions by the Land has a row of PS3 games set up. It was a nice place to cool off but even a couple of those games were not working right.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

My son has always loved Innoventions and spent many hours there during our day trips to WDW when we lived in Florida. Even as an adult he wanted to spend some time there on our last trip in March, and now I'm glad we did. I don't know that I think it's lack of appreciation for the sciences that led to Disney not recruiting new exhibits for the West hall. I think it's more likely that they haven't figured out how to utilize the space for maximum profit value (who wants to bet on a Mouse Gear West?) Sorry, I'm a bit jaded about these things. Seems like most "empty" space at Disney World either becomes a gift shop or meet-and-greet these days. I, too, would love for TPTB to re-evaluate the direction that Epcot is going and get back it's original vision.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We are so incredibly bummed they closed it. It was THE best spot in Epcot to cool off with our kids. They could safely run around some. We could bring the strollers in there. And you could eat in there. The Piggy game was also a favorite but we appreciated the actual space more than anything.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what the reasons are that it has been closed. What I do care about is yet another closing of an attraction in a park that is already on the light side for things to do. The attractions that they do have are so over crowded and wait times are crazy. All this while they take a poll of who is willing to pay more money for park admission.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I don't care what the reasons are that it has been closed. What I do care about is yet another closing of an attraction in a park that is already on the light side for things to do. The attractions that they do have are so over crowded and wait times are crazy. All this while they take a poll of who is willing to pay more money for park admission.
    Just returned Tuesday from the most disheartening trip ever
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Just returned Tuesday from the most disheartening trip ever

Are you going to do a trip report, Lynn?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember what exhibits were in this side of Innovations?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: