Quantcast Disability Access Service (DAS) Guidelines

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disability Access Service (DAS) Guidelines

If you have previously used DAS, then you will find that very little has changed for the guest. The card carried by the DAS guest, which was annotated by hand by the CMs, has been done away with. Instead, all DAS information (including the photo) is now attached electronically to the guest's magic band or park admission card. CMs will now assign return times by using a handheld device, and DAS guests will return to the attraction and scan their wristband or card as if they had a Fast Pass.

If you have never used DAS, and think you may need to, then here is what you need to know:

1) First of all, Disney's Disability Access service is not a "go to the front of the line" service. If you have a disability that would preclude your waiting in a long standby queue, then you MAY be able to use DAS, which will permit you to enter an attraction via the Fast Pass entrance (and experience a minimal wait time). But you will not enter the Fast Pass entrance immediately. Instead you will be given a "return time" based on the length of time that others are waiting in the standby queue. This could be as short as 10 minutes or more than an hour. It is expected that you will use this time to experience other areas of the park.

2) For those wishing to use DAS, everything starts at Guest Relations near the park entrance. The guest with the disability must go there in person to request the service. You will be asked to explain your disability in general terms. You are not required to show a doctor's note. It is important to understand that a mobility issue by itself (i.e. walking, standing) is not a reason to use DAS. Most attraction entrances and queues are accessible by wheelchairs and ECVs (scooters), and you will be expected to use standby lines or regular Fast Pass for entry if your disability is due to a mobility issue.

3) At guest relations, once you have been approved for the DAS, you will present your magic band or park admission card. A CM will take a digital photo of you, which will be electronically attached to your admission media (NOTE - you can opt out of the photo if you wish). Next, you will be asked to identify by name all of the guests in your party (maximum of six) who will be experiencing the attractions with you. Each of those guests must present their magic bands or cards so that they can be electronically included in your DAS information.

4) So now you are ready to use DAS. Select an attraction that you want to experience with your party. Go to that attraction entrance (or send a member of your party - the DAS holder does not have to physically be there at this time). The CM at the attraction entrance will use a handheld device to scan the DAS information on the magic band or card. The CM will ask who, by name, will be accompanying the DAS holder on the attraction. The system will automatically assign a return time, which will be assigned to the DAS holder and each named member of the party.

5) Return to the attraction at any time after your "return time" (NOTE: the five minute early grace period for Fast Pass does not apply). Go to the attraction and enter through the Fast Pass entrance by scanning your bracelet or card at the scanning post. IMPORTANT: the DAS holder must be the first of your party to enter. The "mickey" on the scanning post will light up blue, which will alert the CM to check your photo and authorize your entrance. The other members of your party will enter behind you, and the scanner will light up green for them.That's it. You continue through the Fast Pass queue and experience the attraction with your party.

6) Others things to know.

You can have only one DAS entrance on your wristband/card at a time. You cannot get another until that one is used or cancelled. It does not otherwise expire. You can use it from your "return time" until park close.

The DAS guest MUST enter the attraction with his/her party. Members of the party attempting to enter without the DAS guest will not be admitted into the Fast Pass queue.

Using DAS does not prevent you from using Fast Pass. You can still hold up to three Fast Pass return times in addition to your DAS time.

If you wish to cancel a DAS return, change attractions, or change which members of your party will ride, you should go to one of the Fast Pass Plus kiosks in the park for assistance. Note: any such change will cancel your previous return time and a new one will be assigned.

Finally, yes, Disney understands that all this is complicated. And it is an additional burden on the attraction entrance CMs. But it eliminates previous abuses of the disability admission procedure, and it is as fair as possible. Hopefully, after using DAS a time or two you will find it to be helpful, and a convenient way to avoid long lines when you truly need the shorter wait time.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the new system capable of handling 2 different kids from the same family requiring DAS? It does not appear to be the case as putting a ride of one child onto the magic band would seemingly erase a different ride that had been put on for the other child? How could our family of 4 split up into 2 groups of 2 if we wanted too? I am confused
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andypooh View Post
    Is the new system capable of handling 2 different kids from the same family requiring DAS? It does not appear to be the case as putting a ride of one child onto the magic band would seemingly erase a different ride that had been put on for the other child? How could our family of 4 split up into 2 groups of 2 if we wanted too? I am confused
    I believe that DAS can accommodate your situation and others like it. Assuming that your family will stay together in the parks and ride the same rides, you would only need to assign the DAS to one of the children. Everyone else would be listed as members of the party.

If you plan to separate then you may want to have DAS assigned to each child, with a parent listed as his/her party.

You might also assign one DAS to one child exclusively, without anyone else in the party. This child could then opt in or out of any ride without affecting any members of the party on the other DAS.

Finally, the kiosk CMs are available to help you add or delete family members from a DAS party to keep your visit free from problems with the system.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

bump
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Length of stay?

Is this good for your length of stay or would I need to go to Guest Services every morning? I don't plan on actually using it but would like to have it attached to my magic band in the event I need it. I have epilepsy and I tend to have good days and bad days related to my epilepsy. I am afraid standing in long lines in the heat/crowds might be a trigger if I am already having an off day. Having the ability to sit somewhere until my "standby" time is up would be wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead501 View Post
    Is this good for your length of stay or would I need to go to Guest Services every morning? I don't plan on actually using it but would like to have it attached to my magic band in the event I need it. I have epilepsy and I tend to have good days and bad days related to my epilepsy. I am afraid standing in long lines in the heat/crowds might be a trigger if I am already having an off day. Having the ability to sit somewhere until my "standby" time is up would be wonderful.
    It is good for your length of stay
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We recently found out information that we had read and had experienced previously upon using the DAS had been incorrect. Severa months ago, we had read that if a posted wait time for an attraction was 10 minutes or less, then you would be allowed to immediately enter the FP line. A few months ago we moved to within less than an hour from the Disney parks and now go a few times a month. We recently discovered that the actual policy is that if the posted wait time is 10 minutes or less, then you are to enter the regular standby line. It is only if the posted time is more than 10 minutes and you are given a return time that you are then allowed to enter the FP line. When I asked some of the cast members if this was a change in the policy, I was told that the policy was always supposed to be this way (enter standby line if 10 mins or less); and that even the cast members had misunderstood this (which is why in the past they did let you enter the FP line with a DAS when the posted wait time was 10 mins or less).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dntccc View Post
    We recently discovered that the actual policy is that if the posted wait time is 10 minutes or less, then you are to enter the regular standby line. It is only if the posted time is more than 10 minutes and you are given a return time that you are then allowed to enter the FP line.
    The reason for this is that the handheld device used by the CM to assign your return time cannot issue return times of less than 10 minutes. Therefore, your wristband will not have a valid return time. Without a valid return time you will not get a green light when you scan the wristband. This can be okay at the ride entrance because that CM knows the situation. But at the merge point later in the queue you will not get a green light and the CM there will not know that you are a DAS guest. Therefore, the standby queue is the logical choice.

Having said all that (and meaning no disrespect) does it really matter? A posted 10 minute wait time usually means that the attraction is a "walk on". And guests in the standby queue often arrive at the loading area ahead of FP users because they don't have to stop and scan.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I was not complaining about the difference. I was just posting about what I had found out. I thought others may want to know this - especially those that may not have been in a while where they would know what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

We have 11 people going to WDW in April. Two of the kids may need the DAS. How would it work for our family? The two kids are cousins, not siblings. They are 16 and 4 yrs old. So when we split up the grandparents may go with one kid for part of the day and the other kid the other part of the day. Ex: They may ride It's a Small World with the 4 yr old and the 16 yr old won't ride that. Or they may ride Space Mtn. with the 16 yr. old while the little kids go ride another kiddie ride. Does that make sense?
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

The original post says, "once you have been approved"...how often does it happen that someone would not be approved? My dd was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes & standing long periods of time can cause her blood sugar to fluctuate. Hoping to be able to use this card for her.

Post Thanks / Like

Denials are rare, and only for guests who appear to be scamming the system. Your explanation of your dd's condition should be sufficient. No doctor's note is necessary.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerkel View Post
    The original post says, "once you have been approved"...how often does it happen that someone would not be approved? My dd was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes & standing long periods of time can cause her blood sugar to fluctuate. Hoping to be able to use this card for her.
    If you tell them this, their suggestion will be to rent a wheelchair.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casey@bat View Post
    We have 11 people going to WDW in April. Two of the kids may need the DAS. How would it work for our family? The two kids are cousins, not siblings. They are 16 and 4 yrs old. So when we split up the grandparents may go with one kid for part of the day and the other kid the other part of the day. Ex: They may ride It's a Small World with the 4 yr old and the 16 yr old won't ride that. Or they may ride Space Mtn. with the 16 yr. old while the little kids go ride another kiddie ride. Does that make sense?
    Go in separately. Each DAS will be good for up to 6 people total.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    If you tell them this, their suggestion will be to rent a wheelchair.
    Yes. Sorry. I had to rethink this one. If the guest's disability is one that precludes standing for a long period without additional factors, then Disney will suggest a wheelchair instead of the DAS.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I posted previously with a few questions about this....I have epilepsy. My concern is standing for long periods of time in the heat; however, my concern is that it could induce a seizure or other issues I have related to my epilepsy. Will they suggest I just get a wheelchair because I can walk with frequent breaks? I don't want the issue of having to pay for an ECV or making my wife push a wheelchair around all day. I don't plan on using the DAS but would like to have it if I am having a bad day.

Post Thanks / Like

If i am understanding this right. You would go to a ride and they assign you a time to come back with the DAS. When you have a child or,adult with Autism or high aniexty not getting on the ride will set the person off . With a child with autism they think they are going on the ride then you have to come back in 20 min or more.
    How can this be prevented?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jusandnew View Post
    If i am understanding this right. You would go to a ride and they assign you a time to come back with the DAS. When you have a child or,adult with Autism or high aniexty not getting on the ride will set the person off . With a child with autism they think they are going on the ride then you have to come back in 20 min or more.
    How can this be prevented?
    You explain to the child or adult what is going to happen. Many kids with autism are capable of understanding more than they are given credit for. At the very basic level, you could create a social story explaining the process, or use PECS for non verbal kids. My son with autism had limited speech when he was younger but he was able to understand the DAS process using "first this, then that" style explanations. First we get a return time, then we come back when the timer buzzes (I would always set a timer on my cell phone and give him updates every 5 minutes). Then we would either choose to wait standby for a short line attraction, go get a snack somewhere quiet, or go look in a gift shop. He very quickly caught on that getting a return time meant we ride a little while later. No issues at all.

However, it is worth noting that the DAS holder does NOT have to be present when getting a return time. So if there is more than one adult, have one stay somewhere else with the child while the other gets the return time.

However, it behooves you to teach the DAS holder flexibility and have them learn by repetition how the process works so they will be more comfortable with it. My son used to completely panic when he saw a long line at a ride he really wanted to go on and would assume that meant we were going to skip it. Now HE tells me, "let's get a return time and ride later."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used this service before, but I have had some major medical issues in the past year to where I may need this service. I can walk, but standing in long lines will cause me major pain. What is the criteria they require? Do I have to tell them the specific issue? I don't need a wheelchair.

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)