Quantcast POR or POFQ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POR or POFQ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default POR or POFQ?

We've been planning on staying at POR for our next trip, but have been hearing a lot of great things about POFQ lately and has got me questioning what we're going to book when we get our tax return. The last time we went to look around these resorts was in 2008 and really liked the peaceful vibe we got from POR and POFQ seemed a little more hectic and POR was prettier. So which do you prefer and why?
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer POFQ. I understand where you are coming from about it feeling more hectic but i think that has a lot to do with it being much smaller the POR. I find both resort quiet but it could be the time of year i tend to go
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

We like POFQ as well. The intimate size of the resort is the main draw. Everything in short walking distance, one bus stop, not four, or seven as they have at CBR, jazz music, beignets, the Big Easy feel and architecture, a dragon in the pool! How can you go wrong?

Don't get me wrong our very close second choice is POR.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband prefers POR. He found it to be very quiet and peaceful. I was not a fan of the decor.

I prefer the architecture of POFQ and liked the layout of the resort a little better. I did not find it to be loud at all. (Other than for the party atmosphere when I went for my coffee one morning... the cast members were very lively!)

We would stay at either resort again, though.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

We are for POFQ. We loved it. It was quiet and close to everything. We could go over to POR anytime we wanted. We loved the nightly music to relax and have an end of the day drink. Over all this is our favorite place to stay

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

POR is our choice. We love the theming and think the food court is one of the best of all Disney resorts .
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for POFQ for all the reasons mentioned. We also love the boat to DTD!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

I know that several people really love POFQ, but we stayed there ONCE, and it is my least favorite of any resort. We will not stay there again.

The buses were strange, they were never on the same route...ever! Sometime you would go to POR, sometimes you would go straight to a park, etc.

Once we were in the resort shop and my DH asked the lady working there where to find something and she looked at another lady working there and said, "This is why I hate working in this resort, people are always asking me questions."

We had other issues, and I don't normally dis anything Disney, I just really didn't like anything about this resort except the boat ride to DTD.

We have, however, discussed staying at POR sometime.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We just did 9 nights at POR two weeks ago, we love the resort and have stayed at both.

Even though people complain about the size of POR, it actually feels more intimate because of how spread out it is. I loved my walks in the morning or late evening and you never felt like you were in a crowd.

POR definitely, hands down, has the better pool (if that matters) and has quiet pools.

POR has the River Roost lounge and I believe Wed-Saturdays has YeeHaw Bob Jackson performing, and he is hilarious, a great entertainer. I've never heard a single bad review about him.

POR has a bigger and better foodcourt and had sit down dining option (Boatwrights).

POR I think has a bigger gift shop.

I just find POR to boast more options and it can accomodate 5, which is a must for us.

Post Thanks / Like

What Ghost said. We love POR, but for us it's a no brainer, as we have a family of 5. However, my son is getting ready to head off on a mission and then college. So, we'll soon fit in a room for four. That's bittersweet.

However, he'll be heading out west to college....so we can arrange to meet him at Disneyland! Woot!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    We are for POFQ. We loved it. It was quiet and close to everything. We could go over to POR anytime we wanted. We loved the nightly music to relax and have an end of the day drink. Over all this is our favorite place to stay
    That's our thought too. We love POFQ, and love POR. When we just want to relax and hang out, we love the small size and theming of POFQ. When we want to take advantage of the larger resort, the gift shop, etc. it is a quick hop over to POR. Best of both worlds!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default french quarter

We also like both, but chose FQ for its smaller size. We are going in July and anything that will help us with the crowds is welcome.
    Missy
    #1 LSU fan 2003 AND 2007 National Champions!

POR Feb 1997
    ASMo Dec 1999
    POR Feb 2002
    ASMovies Feb 2004
    Pop Century May 2004
    ASMovies Feb 2006
    Offsite Jan 2007
    May 2008 Swan
    May 2011 on the Dream!
    BLT July 2013
    POFQ July 2015

Post Thanks / Like

we have stayed at both and prefer POFQ. we don't like the size of the other moderates (CBR, CSR, POR) and enjoy how at POFQ the main area isn't far away no matter what building you are put in. we also preferred the food court area at POFQ, but I can't seem to remember why.
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Only 1 pool at French Quarter and fewer food options. You can use the pools at Riverside. Riverside would probably get my vote between the two.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

French Quarter for us. It can be a long walk to the food court @ POR. We usually go in June and I would rather not be sweating at breakfast. I will say POR has a much bigger / better food court and it does have quiet pools. Everything else goes to FQ.
    Scallywag

August 2004 - POR
    May 2006 - POF (Honeymoon Trip)
    September 2006 - Royal Pacific (Universal Studios)
    April 2007 - POR
    July 2009 - CBR
    June 2013 - CBR
    June 2014 - POF

June 2016 - POLY
    June 2017 - AKL
    June 2018 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Love them both but I give the edge to POFQ for its smaller size. It may seem hectic but even when the resort is booked to capacity (I was told it was when we went in Nov) you'd never even know it because it is so quiet and peaceful. The pool area is a little loud but that was about it. I love the cobblestone streets throughout FQ and close proximity no matter where your room is.

Riverside is also great and relaxing. I loved the Royal Rooms A LOT! If I stay there again, it has to be in a royal room. The amenities are at Riverside like boat and bike rentals, horse carriage rides, etc. The walk to POR from FQ is literally 10 minutes down the path. POR has a table service restaurant- never eaten there though. And I love that both resorts have boat transportation to DTD... it is a really nice touch.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at POR before we joined DVC, liked the pool and the dining options but wasn't a fan of the rooms.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

We like both of these resorts but prefer French Quarter. Since we only wanted to stay in the Mansions section at PO, we always had to pay for a prefered room. But since FQ is smaller, there aren't any prefered rooms...only different prices by view (water,garden, etc.). Also, I think the bus routes are better at FQ. For the most part the buses only did pick up/drop off at the one bus stop. At certain times those stops included PO, but not usually. At PO, there are always multiple stops on every bus trip. Staying at either resort is great because you can use both resorts, no matter which resort you room is at.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll get lots of love for FQ on these boards, but like Ms. Mode, it's my least favorite resort. Yes, I'll stay at All-Stars before I'd stay at FQ. Decor is super creepy to me, from the pool to the food court, and I while some love the smaller property, I'm all about spread out and more of everything. More pools, more restaurants, etc.

That said, I love Riverside. Looking forward to the day we can stay in a Royal Room again.

Post Thanks / Like

Its POR for us. I love the layout and wandering pathways. We visited FQ but I was not a fan of anything I saw there. Quiet pools at POR are great, and the main pool is on an island, which kind of keeps it less hectic all around. Love the food court, and the overall feel. Its always my vote to stay at POR. We did Coronado Springs once and it wasn't "home", I think that vacation has been blocked out of my memory as all I can recall is thinking " this place just doesn't feel right". I got the same feeling walking around POFQ.
    Can't wait til September.......

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: