Quantcast Many rental car questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Many rental car questions

Ok so we have never rented a car before but this time we are considering it as an option. Mostly because A..we aren't going to have the dining plan and want to stop at Walmart or something altho we usually do grocery delivery the items definitely are more expensive so it would be a savings stopping ourselves and B..we are also considering a trip to Lego Land. Now my questions are can we do magical express and have the car/dropped off and picked up at our resort? And then maybe we can only rent for a few days instead of the entire length of trip (staying at the Poly) can we rent high back boosters for my kids so we don't have to drag them with us on the plane and the bus? What rental companies are the cheapest?
    1996 Caribbean Beach
    1996 All Star Sports
    1998 All Star Music
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2000 Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder
    2001 Caribbean Beach/Disney Wonder
    2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2006 Caribbean Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have used magical express before and then rented a car two days in to our vacation to head to other parks. The rental company came to the Boardwalk, picked up my husband, took him to the rental company, and we then had the car for a couple of days. He then returned the car and the rental company drove him back to the hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tank3434 View Post

can we do magical express and have the car/dropped off and picked up at our resort?

And then maybe we can only rent for a few days instead of the entire length of trip (staying at the Poly)

can we rent high back boosters for my kids so we don't have to drag them with us on the plane and the bus?

What rental companies are the cheapest?
    Yes. Several of the rental agencies will pick you up at your resort, take you to get your car and then take you back to the resort at the end of the rental. These include Alamo which is at the Disney Car Care Center. They don't drop off/pick up the car. They pick up/drop off you.

Yes. You can rent for only the day(s) you need/want a car. Be aware that even if you only want the car for say 3-4 days, it COULD be cheaper to rent for the entire week. They have daily rates and weekly rates. A week is usually 4 or more days, so you may find that 3 days at the daily rate, is about the same as 7 days at the weekly rate. Each company is a bit different, so be sure to check.

You can rent car seats along with the car. I do not know the specific kinds or styles. You'd need to check with the individual rental companies. It isn't cheap, though.

Prices for rental cars change daily, sometimes hourly, based on supply and demand. "Cheapest" is tough call. Renting somewhere other than the airport will usually be cheaper. I've had excellent pricing and service from Enterprise. They have a location at one of the Downtown Disney hotels and will pick you up at your resort. When I pick up at the airport, Alamo tends to have reasonable prices overall, but not always the absolute cheapest. The thing I appreciate most about Alamo and Enterprise (sister companies along with National) is that they don't spent 20 minutes trying to guilt me into taking their insurance. They ask, I say no, we're done. Budget, Thrifty & Dollar may be a few bucks less, but for me, the hassle they put me through trying to up-sell me just isn't worth it.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

For the cheapest -I usually have luck with Priceline. You can usually grab a car for a fraction of the online price.... If you're comfortable using them.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just recommend getting the rental for the duration of the trip. It is always cheaper to get a weekly rate. Most rental agencies charge about $20/day for a booster. Cheaper to bring your own on the plane. It won't count towards your checked baggage (it will be a freebie).

We use Hertz exclusively because of a great discount program through our bank. Try and see if your bank or car insurance company has a deal with any agencies (many do).

I would definitely stick to the on site MCO rental companies.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we can even get the car and I can run to Walmart or wherever is closest and buy a low booster for my 4.5 year old and then we will only have to bring one..that's another question what would b the closest place such as a target or Walmart and how far away is it? Don't want to take up too much time messing around with cars and stops. Another thought was sending my hubby and older son home on magical express and me and the younger son would get the car right at the airport...so many things to consider thank god I have till December to get it all figured out!
    1996 Caribbean Beach
    1996 All Star Sports
    1998 All Star Music
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2004 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered just one of you taking a cab to the grocery store? Just a suggestion as I really don't know what the rates are. When you say Legoland are you referring to the store at Downtown Disney? If so, you can take the Disney bus transportation.

For groceries we have always ordered through Garden Grocers. Usually found it is a wash since we don't have rental car expense.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

We have always some grocery delivery for a few things but I am thinking we would need some more drinks and snacks this time and the items are quite pricy. And no I don't mean the store I mean the actual park which is about an hour or so away.
    1996 Caribbean Beach
    1996 All Star Sports
    1998 All Star Music
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2004 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

The nearest Wal Mart is not that close to the airport. It would make more sense honestly to just bring two seats from home. It really is not that much extra work. Boosters are not heavy. I would probably just bring the bottom part though. As an alternative Target sells an inflatable booster now that is really easy to travel with.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a 9 night trip. Even though we stayed on property, we rented a vehicle for the entire trip.

We took ME from the airport to Port Orleans on arrival (on a Friday). Saturday morning I had the Alamo shuttle pick me up out front and I was back at the resort in probably 45 minutes or less. I returned it Sunday morning and again was back before the family was even awake.

We rented a van for the entire time and it was only about $340. We used the Alamo location at the Disney Car Care Center, which is located right next to MK. Even though we have used Disney bus transportation in the past, knowing I can be from POR to EPCOT parking lot in 5 minutes, is a huge intangible. Sometimes time IS money, and for me, $340 was so well spent knowing I could get to anywhere in the World in probably under 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking. We often rely on Disney buses but last time at park closes it was a nightmare waiting in those lines with 2 toddlers strollers and a mess of other things having the monrail will be nice but I think a car will also be a nice convenience as well. And thinking about it since we rent a stroller when we get there brining the boosters on the plane and gate checking won't b a big ordeal even tho my hubby may gripe a little...good to know it doesn't take up a lot of time getting the car and I can make arrangements for one of us to get after we check in so it doesn't have to be a family project! Thanks!
    1996 Caribbean Beach
    1996 All Star Sports
    1998 All Star Music
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2004 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking. We often rely on Disney buses but last time at park closes it was a nightmare waiting in those lines with 2 toddlers strollers and a mess of other things having the monrail will be nice but I think a car will also be a nice convenience as well. And thinking about it since we rent a stroller when we get there brining the boosters on the plane and gate checking won't b a big ordeal even tho my hubby may gripe a little...good to know it doesn't take up a lot of time getting the car and I can make arrangements for one of us to get after we check in so it doesn't have to be a family project! Thanks!
    If you use Alamo, they have a pre-check in process, it can very much speed up the amount of time it takes to get your car. They will of course try to get you to upgrade, buy add'l add-ons and such, but you just say no no no and initial here here here and here and are on your way in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so we have never rented a car before but this time we are considering it as an option. Mostly because A..we aren't going to have the dining plan and want to stop at Walmart or something altho we usually do grocery delivery the items definitely are more expensive so it would be a savings stopping ourselves and B..we are also considering a trip to Lego Land. Now my questions are can we do magical express and have the car/dropped off and picked up at our resort? And then maybe we can only rent for a few days instead of the entire length of trip (staying at the Poly) can we rent high back boosters for my kids so we don't have to drag them with us on the plane and the bus? What rental companies are the cheapest?
    They can def pick you up at the resort and drop you off however we find its cheaper to rent for the whole week versus a day or two. We rented for two days for a trip to universal (gasp) and it was over $110. We rented for 8 days 7 nights in December and it was $160 for the week. We have found thrifty is the cheapest out of all the rental companies. DO NOT go with fox or the other one (name isn't coming to me at this moment) that is not in the terminal....you may find it to have a cheaper rate but I have heard horror stories about them overcharging etc.
    Check out Hotwire, and thrifty.com but book soon...we have found the best prices are about 2 months out. Good luck

22 days!!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

We reserve a car as far in advance as possible, and then check back periodically for better rates. If we find a better rate, we cancel and rebook. We price shop using kayak.

During the last several years we found prices to be a bit higher upon arrival at the counter (in December) than when we booked (usually a few months in advance). Nonetheless, we would get tempted with a upgrade option to a convertible for maybe 20% extra.

But this year prices had vastly increased by the time we arrived at the counter, and upgrading to a converty would have doubled the price, so we stayed with what we had booked. Presumably the improving economy accounts for this.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

How early in the morning can you get a car from Alamo at Disney?
    Caribbean Beach '91
    Dixie Landings '96
    Coronado Springs '11
    Kidani Village '15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tearin_it_up View Post
    How early in the morning can you get a car from Alamo at Disney?
    Looks like the car care center rental location is open from 6 am - 8 pm while the Dolphin location is open from 8 am to 4 pm
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

also, try joining a repeat renter's club to cut your costs. (Emerald Club, Preferred, ect) I only rent from Avis, and have been a Preferred Plus member for years. The rates they charge me consistently beat everyone else's by an average of 30%.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)