Quantcast Frustrated with Fast Pass scheduling!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrated with Fast Pass scheduling!

I do not know whether to mourn those staying off property, or desire to be them. I'm by nature a scheduler, but our upcoming trip (17 days :number1) is starting to drive me crazy.

Granted we booked late, when POR came up under the Stay Play Dine offer, but I've spent about 2 hours today juggling ADR's with FP+.

Really wanted to do Ohana, but nothing available until 9:40 or later, which doesn't work with kids. Finally found an 8:05 which I thought I could make work, then realized conflicted with FP at the MK. I go to make changes, then realize that on that day, only my name is linked to the FP, not DW or 3 kids. I rebook and try link all 5 of us, and of course I lose 7 Dwarfs and Anna/Elsa meet an greet, which I had recently snagged. Now they are gone and don't even show up as a FP option (used to say "all FP have been distributed" - now doesn't even appear as an option). Most likely I somehow either only booked for myself without checking "all" which is akward with the set up, or there was a glitch that day and somehow got booked only for me.

I know there are definitely pluses, but heaven help the poor family that goes down for the first and only trip of a lifetime, and isn't familiar with any of this!! It would make me

I guess its great for the uber planners, and maybe once the door on the plane closes I can't stop looking at all our reservations and time schedules and just relax, but it does make going to the World a lot more work than I remember it being.

Only good thing is I can insulate everyone else from the stress of scheduling and do it myself, but it certainly can **** the joy out of it at times.

Great when you score something, but when nothing is available.

The days of doing anything seat of your pants are obviously gone.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank My Bad Disney Experience!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm not a fan of booking rides before I've even set foot on property!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I guess its great for the uber planners
    I am embarrassed to say that my Disney vacations have always been verrrrry well planned . . . probably to the point of overkill as it relates to resort selection, daily schedules, booked ADRs, etcetera. But scheduling FPs before I even get there - if they are available - is too much for me. And even if we had a schedule, there was always room for flexibility in changing plans, including cancelling ADRs if needed.

I sure hope that you are able to enjoy what plans you are able to make ahead of time, and can still participate in the other events and attractions that you can't. After all, you'll be at Disney World!!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Agreed, I can accept having to schedule ADRs 6 months in advance and plan which parks you are going to be at on which day. I can live with that.

The nice thing about walking into a park is that you stretch out your arms, take it all in, and just go from there. Now, as you said, before you even enter the park you are of the mindset, "ok - Dwarfs Mine Ride at 9:00 - kids, put that down, have to be at BTMR at 10:00, no time to look at Mickey, we have a schedule to keep....."

I'm sure it will be fine when we are down there, and one advantage is that with 3 kids ages 8-9-12 we are going to try build in resort times by using Epcot as two half day ventures. Morning to early afternoon one day, then back to resort, then next visit, resort in the morning and EPCOT afternoon. Being able to schedule FP to accommodate that is I have to reluctantly admit, a plus.

But not getting a FP that you want, almost makes you feel like you've lost before you've even entered the State much less the park.

Post Thanks / Like

the nice thing about walking into a park is that you stretch out your arms, take it all in, and just go from there. Now, as you said, before you even enter the park you are of the mindset, "ok - dwarfs mine ride at 9:00 - kids, put that down, have to be at btmr at 10:00, no time to look at mickey, we have a schedule to keep....."
    This!!!!!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but on the other hand, I really didn't like having to hunt down all the FPs and then backtrack to the rides later. I think they can make some big improvements still, but I like the idea of it. First timers who plan will be fine, too. And haven't we always felt bad for the first timers who don't plan? Who goes to a new vacation spot with no plans in place? A little planning makes sense. Perhaps not the degree of planning needed now. And adding some spontaneity back in would be ideal. I'm hoping they catch on and tweak as needed, but I do see some positives, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    I am embarrassed to say that my Disney vacations have always been verrrrry well planned . . . probably to the point of overkill as it relates to resort selection, daily schedules, booked ADRs, etcetera. But scheduling FPs before I even get there - if they are available - is too much for me. And even if we had a schedule, there was always room for flexibility in changing plans, including cancelling ADRs if needed.

I sure hope that you are able to enjoy what plans you are able to make ahead of time, and can still participate in the other events and attractions that you can't. After all, you'll be at Disney World!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Agreed, I can accept having to schedule ADRs 6 months in advance and plan which parks you are going to be at on which day. I can live with that.

The nice thing about walking into a park is that you stretch out your arms, take it all in, and just go from there. Now, as you said, before you even enter the park you are of the mindset, "ok - Dwarfs Mine Ride at 9:00 - kids, put that down, have to be at BTMR at 10:00, no time to look at Mickey, we have a schedule to keep....."

I'm sure it will be fine when we are down there, and one advantage is that with 3 kids ages 8-9-12 we are going to try build in resort times by using Epcot as two half day ventures. Morning to early afternoon one day, then back to resort, then next visit, resort in the morning and EPCOT afternoon. Being able to schedule FP to accommodate that is I have to reluctantly admit, a plus.

But not getting a FP that you want, almost makes you feel like you've lost before you've even entered the State much less the park.
    I'm not crazy about FP+, though the inability to cancel ADRs within 24 hours without paying a cancellation fee really burns me up more, but I disliked the way things were for the last 5 years of the old FP system.

To be able to get any of the most popular rides, or at least decent ride times, you had to get to a park soon after it opened. Great if you like rising early, but that's is not our family's style. It was like "oh my gosh, hurry up! If we don't get there on time, we'll miss out!" That was so stressful and I have enough stress in my everyday life!

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Yes, but on the other hand, I really didn't like having to hunt down all the FPs and then backtrack to the rides later. I think they can make some big improvements still, but I like the idea of it. First timers who plan will be fine, too. And haven't we always felt bad for the first timers who don't plan? Who goes to a new vacation spot with no plans in place? A little planning makes sense. Perhaps not the degree of planning needed now. And adding some spontaneity back in would be ideal. I'm hoping they catch on and tweak as needed, but I do see some positives, too.
    I especially agree with the parts of Sherri's comment I highlighted. I am so tired of the extremes of it has to be all one way or the other. Don't disregard the good points because you don't like some parts of it.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Yes, but on the other hand, I really didn't like having to hunt down all the FPs and then backtrack to the rides later..
    This makes no sense to me.
    #1) So you grab a (legacy) fast pass at your favorite attraction. It is good an hour or so later, you can find things to do in the immediate area without having to go to the other side of the park. The hour or two time span might not work with a couple of attractions (like Soaring or TSM). But in that case, you are not rushing around. Go enjoy the rest of the park and mosey back there when your window opens.

#2) The kisoks they have now for FP+ could have been developed to spit out (legacy) fast passes. A kiosk in Tomorrowland can spit out a FP for BTMR. Simple,,,none of this 60 day planning stuff that ensure this family will never return to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING REPLY IS MY OPINION ONLY!!! YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Is this REALLY any different that the original FastPass system? You went from kiosk to kiosk, gathering FastPasses then spent the rest of your day making sure to make the entry windows on the ones you collected. I honestly do not see that as a valid complaint on the FP+ vs. FP argument.

Now, scheduling FP+ two (2) months prior to arrival DOES seem to be a bit limiting, as you do not know what park you are going to want to be in on any particular day that far out. (OK, maybe you do if you take into account EMH days/evenings and schedule accordingly.)

I have visited once since the new FP+ system has been in operation (12/13) and did not find it to be at all restrictive as to how I visit the park(s).
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree! It has taken a lot of fun out of planning. It's not just planning for fun now, it is NECESSITY! I have family members who have all wanted to tag along on our trips each January, and I love having them, but now I am planning for groups of 22, 12, etc. etc. makes it even more stressful, and yes, heaven help you if you need to change your dates! UGH!
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of the FP+ system as it is now.

I think making FP+ ressies 60 days out is absolutely ridiculous. I also feel making ADR's 180 days out is equally as ridiculous, but that's another discussion. And don't get me started about the 24 hour ADR cancellation policy!

In reality, allowing FP+ ressies to be made no earlier than a week prior to your check-in date is more than enough time. We try to plan our park each day before we go, but we ALWAYS end up changing some days and going to a different park, especially depending on the weather. At a week prior to your trip, you can have a decent idea as to what the weather will be like, finalize where you want to go, and figure out your must-do FP's.

I actually made three FP+ ressies (3 different days) for Anna and Elsa on our last visit. Why? Because I didn't know if one of the days wouldn't work out (weather, want a different park, sick, etc). We went to two of them, and cancelled the other one the day before so someone else could snag it. Next trip we'll skip A&E altogether since the current setup is dumb.... now you take a photo with each one seperately. Makes no sense.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post

Is this REALLY any different that the original FastPass system? You went from kiosk to kiosk, gathering FastPasses then spent the rest of your day making sure to make the entry windows on the ones you collected. I honestly do not see that as a valid complaint on the FP+ vs. FP argument.
    I agree, the old system had you zigzagging around the park.

Now, scheduling FP+ two (2) months prior to arrival DOES seem to be a bit limiting, as you do not know what park you are going to want to be in on any particular day that far out. (OK, maybe you do if you take into account EMH days/evenings and schedule accordingly.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I'm not a fan of the FP+ system as it is now.

I think making FP+ ressies 60 days out is absolutely ridiculous. I also feel making ADR's 180 days out is equally as ridiculous, but that's another discussion. And don't get me started about the 24 hour ADR cancellation policy!

In reality, allowing FP+ ressies to be made no earlier than a week prior to your check-in date is more than enough time. We try to plan our park each day before we go, but we ALWAYS end up changing some days and going to a different park, especially depending on the weather. At a week prior to your trip, you can have a decent idea as to what the weather will be like, finalize where you want to go, and figure out your must-do FP's.
    I agree the 60 day window is too long. Even 30 days is too long! I like the 7 day window idea! Also, please make the ADR window 90 days!
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

There are some neat things about the new system, but my biggest complaint about the new system is that once you have booked FP's for one park, you cannot even look on the system to see what attractions may have FP's available in another park, without losing the FP's you already have booked. So much for even considering changing your plans to visit another park instead of the one you've already booked FP's for.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Other than TSM over at DHS, Soarin at EPCOT and maybe EE at AK, we were never fastpass driven. Yes, we took advantage of them, new how to use them, but they didn't drive our days. If the kids were in a long line to see a character, I might grab all our cards and hit a FP machine quick, but the reality was, we still pretty much controlled our day. Now, without even stepping foot in the state, I already now what park I'll be in each day, where I'm eating (& when) each day, and when I'll be riding 3 specific rides each day. I know for a fact, since they make you choose 3 FP+ that there will be more than a couple that I won't use, yet I just took someone elses availability.

Not everyone knows that they are going 12 months in advance, sometimes yes and sometimes, like for us this go round, we didn't pull the trigger until just before Christmas for a January visit, but it feels like we are being penalized.

I've lost track of how many times I've been on the Disney website searching for ADR and FP for multiple hours at a time, something I never had to do before.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just a week back from our first trip with the new FP- system. I hated it. We felt restricted as to what park and when we "had" to do things. I know it was our choice, but to say " let's leave Epcot and take the boat to the Studios right now", would mean never doing Sorin or Test Track!
    I never minded splitting up to go snag FP across a park. I missed waking up and deciding which park to start the day in. Such descions had to be made 2 months prior.
    For a busy time of year FP- is terrible! There were no useful FP left once our 3 were gone. For example, New Years Eve at Epcot, once our FP were used we went to see what was available. Before noon, the only thing left was a FP for Captain EO at 11:45 that night. A choice between captain EO and New Years Illuminations is real not much of a choice. I realize that is the busiest day of the year, but under the old system we have ridden everything on NYE in EPCOT.

Mark me down as not a fan.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

This new system is really discouraging me from making another trip. The idea of having to get all that planned so early just gives me anxiety! ADR I get, that's life in general getting reservations at a hot restaurant. Even with that I may keep those loose and unless it's a "must" place we may play dinner by ear or try same day. The FP+ sounds stressful and unappealing!
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: