Quantcast Crockpots in rooms?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crockpots in rooms?

Does anyone know are you allowed to have crockpots in any rooms at WDW? Thought it might be a good way to save a little money?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hope not. I don't think it's wise to leave an unattended heating element on in a hotel. The possibility of fire and loss of property/life would probably negate any cost savings on food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I would hope not. I don't think it's wise to leave an unattended heating element on in a hotel. The possibility of fire and loss of property/life would probably negate any cost savings on food.
    Agreed
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I also agree.

I know that's what crock pots are made for, but I cannot bring myself to have in on when I am not home. Therefore I wouldn't leave it on in a hotel room either. Not to mention the smell. I know when I cook with my crock pot at home it smells up half of my house. Wouldn't want our room to smell like food all week, and I would imagine the neighbors wouldn't want to smell food all week either.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

From a post on the Disney World site itself under one of the Mom's Panel sections

Q: Hello. Im planning my first vist to disneyworld and plan on staying in one of the cabins at fort wilderness. I know it has a full kitchen but I was wondering if it was ok to bring my crock pot?
    - Asked by Ashley from Arkansas on 10/12/2014

A:Hello and welcome to the Moms Panel!

I just spoke with a Cast Member regarding your question. Unfortunately, they discourage any new electrical items being brought in for safety reasons. The recommendation is to leave it at home.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/se...uggestedQuery=

Post Thanks / Like

I can agree with this in a studio room at most resorts. However, in a DVC Villa with a kitchen, I see nothing wrong with it. It is no different than having a light turned on. Put it on top of the stove and let it go. People do this at Fort Wilderness as well in their RVs or on the picnic table.

In a studio room in general where cooking is not permitted, a crockpot is definitely a no-no.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Rule 1: While on vacation you shall do no cooking have others do it for you.

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaredkari View Post
    Does anyone know are you allowed to have crockpots in any rooms at WDW? Thought it might be a good way to save a little money?
    Any hotel is going to tell you no. However I admit to taking a hotpot and electric skillet with me on several trips to DL.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    My motto too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    Any hotel is going to tell you no. However I admit to taking a hotpot and electric skillet with me on several trips to DL.
    Doing that is a high consequence in a low risk situation. If your equipment causes a fire guess who will be on the hook for the damages. You. I am a hotelier saying this.

And it doesn't matter if it's a regular room or a room with a kitchen. We are insured for the equipment we supply not yours. So if your equipment causes the damage you can bet the hotel and/or its insurance company will go after you.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

After going through my bill for the last week, we spent $1,350 for the week. $900 of that was for food for 3 people. Having a breakfast in the room, easy lunch, and an easy make meal in the room saves a ton. If I got $900 worth of food, I would be OK with it. I did not get that type of value.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely!!

The only food/drink we bring are snacks, beer, wine and water. We like to have some crackers, Chex Mix and things like that, but only for in the room. In the parks, it's Disney goodies only!!!

I would hate to come back to our room and smell food being cooked, or worse, coming back to find our room and possessions burned up in a fire.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also hate to enter a room and smell food
    I like my room to smell clean & fresh.

When we are on vacation...WE ARE ON VACATION We plan our vacations so we CAN eat out at the great restaurants that WDW has.
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Although we are guilty of eating in our room, we never cook it there.

This works only if you have a car with you:

We go to the store and buy cheese, crackers, olives, wine, cooked shrimp or full roasted chicken, a bag of salad, (the deli gives us plates, cutlery and condiments). Several large groceries, we use Win Dixie, have everything you need to lay out a spread. Add in some buns to make the next days lunch sandwich.

We plan accordingly to fit left overs in our tiny WDW fridge. But we do it all the time.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

While I wouldn't say I love it, but I a few times we've come home to a DVC resort and it smelled like some very delicious food was being prepared. Felt like knocking on the door and inviting myself in.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree that using a slow cooker in the room is NOT a good idea, practically speaking, it is no more likely to cause a fire than the mini-fridge or TV set. Anything plugged into an electrical outlet has a small chance of shorting out and starting a fire. But such a scenario is highly unlikely.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Just get a club level room to save money on food, it's a modest price difference and you can easily eat and drink the difference worth, especially if you have young kids. They can eat three full meals a day there. Plus they have alcohol every night if you need ab eer or some wine. Of course if you don't stay at a deluxe resort it won't work. Once you get club level you'll never go back.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crockpots

We considered it for our extended stay this September. However we are going to pre cook crockpot meals, freeze them and then reheat. There will be 9 of us with 5 kids. What better than a meal in your own private and quiet surroundings looking over the Seven Seas Lagoon at the Grand Floridian.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Dave View Post
    Just get a club level room to save money on food, it's a modest price difference and you can easily eat and drink the difference worth, especially if you have young kids. They can eat three full meals a day there. Plus they have alcohol every night if you need ab eer or some wine. Of course if you don't stay at a deluxe resort it won't work. Once you get club level you'll never go back.
    I wouldn't say it's a modest difference. We received a complimentary upgrade from Garden View at the Grand Flo to Sugarloaf Concierge Garden View on a 13 day trip once. The price difference would've been over $3000 (at least). DH and I definitely didn't eat and drink $3000 worth of food and alcohol, and we had many continental breakfasts, pre-dinner hors devours/drinks, and evening drinks (just about every day). Don't know how you can get 3 full meals a day there since lunch time is usually just light snacks, and the lounge offerings aren't meant to be full meals anyway.

We did see people try to take multiple bottles of beer and wine back to their rooms, but the concierge staff quickly stopped them and only allowed them to take A bottle of beer or A glass of wine back to the room.

We've noticed a bit of a downturn in the food offerings in the concierge lounges over the years (choices, ingredients, types), and chances are it's due to people making many full meals out of the options offered.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: