Quantcast how much of a pain is using a scooter?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default how much of a pain is using a scooter?

Long story short...need a knee replacement, but buying time with repeated cortizone shots. Currently feeling better than recently, leave for the World this weekend. Ortho doc says to seriously consider using a scooter due to amount of time walking. Not sure it's worth the bother versus suffering through the pain and discomfort.

So, my question is, if you could suffer through, would you still use the scooter? Is it a huge pain in the butt? I'd hate to spend the money to rent it and not use it and waste the money.

BTW, I would be renting scooter from offsite and I will have a rental car (no busses, but having to break down/reassemble several times a day)
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely recommend renting a scooter. You will be more comfortable.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

My lady friend needs a knee replacement as well and when we go to WDW we always rent a scooter from Apple as it has the best prices and includes the hazard insurance at no extra cost. I think it was $120 for the 5 days we spent in the parks.

As for tearing it down and putting it in the trunk of a car I am not sure, I have heard it is easy though.

We always use the buses and have never had any issues with getting on or off of them.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

My mom HATES using the scooter. Often times she would rather suffer than deal with the scooter. I guess it's different for each person, depends on how much pain you are in/can tolerate, and also the time of year you are visiting. When the parks are crowded the scooter is a nightmare!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom uses a scooter each time we go. She's had knee-replacements, and although she does great at home, there is just too much walking at Disney for her now.

It really isn't that much bother. We've rented the ones that break down for car transport, and they take just a minute to pull apart and put back together.

It can indeed be a challenge to navigate the crowds in a scooter, but way better than having every step hurt. The biggest problem is people who cut/stop in front of you, but still, way better than the alternative. At some points, when it was really busy, DH & I acted as "front guards" to help clear a path for Mom, which did help a bit.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have rented a scooter for my mom along with using a rental car thinking we would break it down to transport. Apple Scooter (VERY nice people) said it was not that hard. Well...I found it to be a HUGE pain and VERY heavy. The batteries make it weigh a ton and it is bulky. You need more than one person to lift that thing especially up into a van. And, it is breaking it down to get it in then lifting it all up in the van (not a car...won't fit) then lifting it out when you get to the park to put it back together then...after a long day at the park and you are tired you have to do it all over again. Not exactly magical fun. My suggestion is no scooter or ride the busses. It is much easier to just bring the scooter on the bus than to do all the breaking down and lifting of it.
    Just my experience and opinion.

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Julie on the not breaking down a scooter, extremely difficult to do. I own my scooter at home and other than WDW will travel with it.
    At WDW I rent a scooter from Apple and have it waiting at the resort. Riding the busses is not as difficult as everyone thinks and on our last trip in Dec., I had most bus drivers (90%?) either asked me if I wanted them to park it or would just direct me to take a seat and they would do it for me. Being very proud of my ECV parking skills it sort of insulted me when they just assumed as a woman I needed the help. Believe me many times I would see them ask me and then not ask a man if he needed the assistance. And many times he would!
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I know this reply is too late for OP.
    DW and each have our own scooters, and I bought a Ford Expedition XE with a lift installed to transport both scooters. We always use the bus service to get around, and no problems doing that. But as someone said, navigating the crowds can be very difficult to get around in a crowd. Even when I used my police whistle, I was ignored. A big problem is families that walk the paths five or more abreast.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: