Quantcast Expansion - good or bad?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Expansion - good or bad?

Reading about how full the campground is, and how difficult it is to get a campsite, I got to wondering if Disney would consider expanding the campgrounds. We have DVC going in everywhere, which is different, of course.

However, Fort Wilderness is largely unchanged in over 40 years, at least in its footprint. There are a lot of things about its set up I like a lot - the comfort stations, loops, bike/foot paths.

Clearly, pads for larger rigs, more dog friendly loops and perhaps more tech friendly sites are called for. Much of which has been being done to existing sites.

What do you think? Time for more campsites at the old campground? One wonders if current planners would do as good a job as the original ones seem to have done.

And, maybe the super question: if not at FW, where in the World would an expansion be?

Jan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Southern New Jersey ( only 1024 miles away )
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, If you disturb it, you will not be able to duplicate it,, Leave well enough alone...
    1973,76,78,79,81,82 Off Site
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1998- DCL-MAGIC (HONEYMOON)
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2002,03,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, 14 F.W.
    2008-DCL WONDER (Double Dip)
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    ș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Next Trip: F.W. December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's probably unlikely. From a dollars and cents point of view Fort Wilderness probably provides Disney with the lowest revenue / sq ft of any accommodations on property which would make it unattractive to them as an area for expansion.

There's plenty of un-used land where a campground could be placed, but I just can't see it happening. If anything I'd be more concerned about them contracting or eliminating the campground one day.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the campground must have the lowest revenue per sq ft but to eliminate it completely?

It does stay booked and doesn't require much in the way of housekeeping. Guys do come buy and empty the trash, prepare sites for the next camper, etc. I wonder what's the overhead per sq ft? For the campsites, excluding the Wilderness Homes.

I'd rather see another campground, perhaps somewhere between the Studios and AK rather than an addition to Fort Wilderness.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

We love FW. It can be expanded without changing much, but it is only full during the high times. Other times, there are plenty of spots available. I wonder how much would be affected if they go through with the vacation club they were planning. I still think FW is the best kept secret at DW.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Default Expand yes

We have been camping at FW for years and love it. However, it has been getting harder and harder to get a site. I just tried to book for January - the entire month is gone unless you have a popup, and we don't. There are a FEW Premium sites available on select dates, but with our motorhome we can only get into a few of those. I would definitely love to see some expansion. There is land at FW that could be reclaimed and used. Or, as someone else suggested, put another campground designed for modern motorhomes over near AK. Right now I am going to have to book off-property. Those are dollars Disney is missing out on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts, Wilderness Guy.

And to Intercot!
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Here is an idea

Here is an idea for the Imagineers. Keep FW with the frontier theme that Walt wanted 40 years ago - the FW we all know and love. Then build a new park over near AK with a safari theme to fit with AK Lodge and AK itself. Make the spaces friendly to modern motorhomers. I'm willing to bet both parks would quickly have all the business they could handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness guy View Post
    Here is an idea for the Imagineers. Keep FW with the frontier theme that Walt wanted 40 years ago - the FW we all know and love. Then build a new park over near AK with a safari theme to fit with AK Lodge and AK itself. Make the spaces friendly to modern motorhomers. I'm willing to bet both parks would quickly have all the business they could handle.
    This is my thought. Disney has the best modern campground that I have ever camped in. (Modern meaning running water in comfort stations, etc. There are some downright unimproved campgrounds - what's a comfort station? - out West that I like a lot, too.) DH doesn't like to shell out a lot of money for a campsite but he feels FW is a great deal.

Who wouldn't jump at the chance to camp in a safari themed campground? At Disney?

And, yes, design the campground to accommodate today's rigs and technology. Elevated safari viewing platforms.

As Ron said, welcome, Wilderness guy!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

1) Something which cannot be expanded is land.
    2) You can't make more of it.
    3) Putting up a campground is a poor use of revenue-producing acreage.
    4) Besides,
    . . . campers spend/eat less at restaurants than hotel/DVC guests
    . . . buy fewer souvenirs than other guests
    . . . visit parks for less days than others

5) Do not look for expanded (or new) camping space.
    6) Or, new Disney-owned hotels
    7) Disney is now to profit oriented.
    8) DVC's make more money than campsites or hotels.
    . . . DVC's are going up due to the revenue/sqft.
    . . . Hard to argue with 5-6 floor units.
    . . . density is the thing
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree about the low revenue. That could be the case in the partial hook up sites, but for full hook up, preferred and premium, those sites are pricey especially when you consider maintenance would be minimal and unlike the hotels, when the sites aren't in use it is not costing Disney anything b/c no electric is being used. And no mousekeeping at any time. Todays RV's are so much different than when this campground was built. Much larger and usually with slides. Some of those sites feel uncomfortably packed in and I am talking about the more expensive sites, so I would definitely say upgrading should be in the works. I know when there are specials for the value resorts, it is cheaper for us to stay there than at the campground. Also, I for one think the theming seems very out of date. And if you rent a golf cart, there goes another $65, plus a day. Another revenue producing item at the campground. And a huge charge for the "campers." No you don't have to have one, but otherwise, you have to get on two buses to go to most parks.

Post Thanks / Like

No question that another campground could generate revenue and be profitable. But the fact is, there is way, way more profit to be made in selling time shares. Expect Disney to continue developing new DVC properties until the market is saturated. With those, they sell the same unit over and over to multiple people and get paid for multiple years whether the buyers use them or not. I'd love to see another campground, but I'm not holding my breath until the DVC market is saturated.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like