Quantcast Vertigo and roller coasters

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertigo and roller coasters

Does anyone have vertigo? I get it now and then and wondering if it will come up if I ride one of the mountain rides?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I get mild attacks, but never on any of the Disney Mountains. Mine is brought on by being able to see the bottom of a big drop. Disney always has something on the drop to take your eyes/mind off the bottom.

I cannot handle most flume rides, but Splash Mountain is a no-brainer! I will ride that multiple times each trip.

Expedition Everest has never been a problem for me because the "big drop" is not straight down, it is on a smooth curve and doesn't look/seem steep enough to set me off.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I get dizzy if I'm on the third step of a ladder - but I just take meclizine (the generic bonine) every day during a Disney or Universal trip and can handle all but two coasters - Rip Ride rockit at Universal and Space Mountain at Disney. I haven't been on Rock n Roller Coaster in a couple of years either, but I can handle all the others
    Life is Beautiful - pass it on. Sign your organ donor card.

Post Thanks / Like

I was diagnosed with vertigo about a decade ago, but thankfully it has never impacted any ride or roller coaster at Disney, even RNRC or TOT I always carry meclezine (chewables & are OTC) with me in case but thankfully I have never needed them at Disney. I also always carry ginger capsules as well. I have found that sometimes just carrying these pills along with me in the parks is comfort enough just to know they are there if I need

I would like to add that the only ride that I have never rode at Disney that I felt might bring on vertigo is the mission space ride (even the green side).

I would say if you feel comfortable, give any of the Disney coasters a try but if not dont worry, there is still plenty of Disney fun to be had at other rides

*- 29 total visits to the World -*

September 2009 AKL Jambo House Savannah View ∞ Honeymoon ∞
    September 2012 AKL Jambo House ∞ 3 year Anniversary ∞
    September 2013 Polynesian ∞ 4 year Anniversary ∞
    November 2014 Polynesian ∞ My Birthday/5 year Anniversary Combo ∞

Post Thanks / Like

I get disoriented with stairs with no risers, or railroad trestles, and the 3rd rung of the ladder is my limit, as well. I don't like drops either.

Went on Splash Mtn once and that was enough. Never been on ToT. The drops on Space Mtn don't bother me but the roughness of the ride has moved it out of the must do category. Big Thunder Mtn and Primeval Whirl are doable. I did not find the drop at EE to be bad, because of the curve at the bottom. The backwards portion was no problem at all. Mission Space - either side - did not bother me. Rock n Roller Coaster merely goes upside down, so no problems with that ride. I love the Teacups.

The ride that nearly did me in, disorientation wise, was Soarin'. The first time we rode I spent almost the whole ride petrified I would slide out of the seat. I was so petrified I couldn't speak. When the sun set and we were over Disneyland my disorientation eased considerably. Still, as we were walking away to go watch Illuminations my niece asked if I was alright. I was much more alright than I'd been during the ride but walking in a straight line was challenging.

I did ride Soarin' again, successfully, but this time I wore my glasses. No more vertigo.

My glasses are also necessary for any 3D show as my left eye sees differently than my right, so not much binocular vision, or 3D effect, unless corrected.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

what are ginger pills? can you get them at the pharmacy?

thanks for all your help
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    what are ginger pills? can you get them at the pharmacy?

thanks for all your help
    I live in SC and can find many brands of ginger capsules at Walmart, or pharmacies (we have CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aids, etc); its probably pretty easy to find in most states.

They are OTC and cheap. I think its a bottle of 100 capsules for under $10. I always carry some with me in WDW in case I need them. I try to always take them with food (as Im a worry-wart) but you really dont have to. Just drink plenty of liquid when you take them

They can be taken as a preventative measure before riding rides, or after if you're feeling a bit yicky

*- 29 total visits to the World -*

September 2009 AKL Jambo House Savannah View ∞ Honeymoon ∞
    September 2012 AKL Jambo House ∞ 3 year Anniversary ∞
    September 2013 Polynesian ∞ 4 year Anniversary ∞
    November 2014 Polynesian ∞ My Birthday/5 year Anniversary Combo ∞

Post Thanks / Like

I've always loved the thrill of coasters but of course hated the fact I've always dealt with motion sickness issues. Regarding the WDW vertigo challenging attractions, I am ok with Splash, Big Thunder, Dinosaur!, and by next month should be able to add the Dwarfs. R&RC is a fast, smooth ride that I love and have done numerous times and usually come out a bit woozy but not too bad. EE I have done several times with varying results but have not rode the past few trips. Last time I went around I was still feeling off a week after I got home. Not pleasant. TofT - nope. Mission:Space (the original) - ditto. You just have to know your limitations. If you think you might come out worse for wear skip it - PLENTY to do at this crazy place!! Oh, and Space can be tough because of the darkness and trying to move with the rides motions. Not fast but a bit jerky and the seats are not the roomiest. Have not done it in awhile but have ridden it a bunch over the years. It's the original so you are feeling it GO FOR IT1
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    Does anyone have vertigo? I get it now and then and wondering if it will come up if I ride one of the mountain rides?
    Mine is mild due to a sensitive inner ear. The one that threw me right over the edge was primeval whirl! Def not going to ride that anymore! Expedition Everest does but it's short term and then it's fine.

42 days!!!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for all the advice.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: