Quantcast Too many DVC points

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many DVC points

Hey all! I just returned from a vacation with my family where we attended a DVC meeting for my parents who have considered buying into the club. While there, I found myself becoming personally interested in buying my own DVC membership. I am new to this whole process and would greatly appreciate if someone could give me a bit of insight.

I am a single 27 year old who plans to travel to Disney every other year and stay in a deluxe studio during "adventure season." I've figured out that my magic number would be around 65pts with a membership at the GFVs. However, I am finding that there is a minimum purchase of 100pts required to buy in, which is a lot more than necessary for me. What are my options? Can I buy the 100pts and sell 35pts off? Can my parents buy an extra 65 points and sell them to me? Is there another way?

Thanks for the help!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

IF your parents are already owners then they can purchase a 65 point contract, and put it in Both of your names and then I would wait a year and have them sign off the contract. IF they are just buying they could buy two contracts one for themselves and ask if you can purchase 65 or they could purchase an additional 65 point contract and the resell it to you as family.

make sure you want GFV as that is the most expensive DVC until the Poly comes on line
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

From time to time there have been smaller contracts up for resale. They were separate contracts, and could be sold independently as such. 65 is a very small contract, there's not a lot that can be done with it, especially at the newer properties. I would really look at resales at some of the older properties. As long as staying at only DVC properties is ok. When calculating points, consider that the possibility exists that you may need to upgrade accommodations. What you want may not be available, and when you're relying on banked points, if something isn't flexible (dates or accommodations), you may run into trouble. Currently you can buy a few points to make up for shortfalls, but I don't know if that will always be the case,

You can't separate a contract (Ike. Sell off some of the points), only Disney can do that. You could rent out what you don't need each year.

Post Thanks / Like

DRox has some good points. If your determined to buy/stay at VGF 65 points is limiting, it would get you one week in a standard studio every other year. Perfect for your scenario. However, standards are the first to go and that would leave lake view but you would not have enough points. IMO, you should really leave yourself some room to play around.

If you're looking to only use your points for DVC stays, resale is a good way to go. Right now there are some VGF contracts available at The Timeshare Store and my gut tells me more will pop up when the Poly opens for sale.

Pirate Granny's suggestion of buying/splitting/transferring with your parents is something to look into too.

Good luck with the route you choose.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Just an aside that amuses me - when I first bought - I was also in the "every other year" mindset.

Cut to 10 years later? We've gone every year except one.

I ended up purchasing more points - and I'm now on the wait list for 80 more for the Beach Club! VGF was just too expensive for me ......

Plus the rest of the family loves the Epcot area.....

Good luck with your purchase!!
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the responses. After speaking further with our DVC guy, I was able to acquire my 65 points with no problem. Apparently, they are not strictly enforcing the minimum (100pts). I signed the contract and I am now a DVC member with my home resort at the Grand Floridian Villas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImagiAsh View Post
    Thank you guys for the responses. After speaking further with our DVC guy, I was able to acquire my 65 points with no problem. Apparently, they are not strictly enforcing the minimum (100pts). I signed the contract and I am now a DVC member with my home resort at the Grand Floridian Villas!
    Congrats!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome home!
    May '14 -- OKW 1 bdrm
    Dec '13 -- OKW + Off site
    Mar '13 -- Saratoga Springs
    Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7Nt EC
    June '11 --BLT for SWW, July '11 -- OKW
    Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nt EC/5 nights POFQ
    DVC @ BLT Dec 2010 Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Post Thanks / Like

We bought two 25 point contracts on the resale market a few years ago, and it's been enough for us (every other year) to book a studio for 4 nights at Boardwalk, SSR, BLT, and Villas at Wilderness Lodge, plus a couple of short trips to Hilton Head. Since our local airport has non-stop service to Sanford/Orlando on Sunday and Thursday, it's been perfect for my DW and I to get away for our anniversary four of the last eight years. And we bought long enough ago that we get all the perks of those who buy direct from Disney...we were grandfathered in. We talk about buying another contract every so often, but we just haven't pulled the trigger.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImagiAsh View Post
    Congrats! Welcome home!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know - we might buy in soon. Not sure if going resale or direct... We'll probably end up doing a combo of both at some point.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: