Quantcast Epcot Entertainment Being Refreshed, Long Time Acts Being Replaced - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I am totally bummed about Fife and Drum Corps. That group added so much to the old American feel of the pavilion. So sorry that I missed them on our last trip.

Also sad about Off Kilter. My hubby, father in law, and 4 of my brother in laws had a blast watching them last year. Always a nice crowd there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Oh yeah. A lumberjack show. I can hardly wait.
    Pretty embarrassing from a Canadian point of view. Yeah, that's all we do up here in Canada, that and live in tents. What's next igloo building and ice fishing?
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Wow! I am totally bummed about Fife and Drum Corps. That group added so much to the old American feel of the pavilion. So sorry that I missed them on our last.

Yeah, with the replacement of the colonial era CM costumes a few years back, not a lot of the old-timey feel left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Yeah, with the replacement of the colonial era CM costumes a few years back, not a lot of the old-timey feel left.
    I agree! I loved that "stepping back in time" feel the pavilion did so well.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they can get Monty Python, since their show is finished, to perform "The Lumberjack Song" as accompaniment.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I may be the only one to say this - but it's time. Love the acts - but ALL of EPCOT needs a facelift and a complete rethinking of what it's trying to be as a theme park.

From it's more than decade old nighttime show, aging entertainment and attractions, to the shell that remains of future world, to the singular focus of "events" rather than long term planning... things are in a sad state right now. It's a decade of resting on your laurels and penny pinching on refurbishments - along with closing whole pavilions.

Think about it - Imagination, Wonders of Life, Energy and Seas (along with I argue Innoventions) all need a refurb/rethink/redo. And quite frankly, despite it being my favorite ride after Horizons closed, the whole end of Spaceship Earth is atrocious and needs to be redone. And Mission Space - while the concept is nice is really a flop, but I'll give a pass on that. Oh , and the front of the park - HORRIBLE. All the leave a legacy stuff needs to go.

There is SO MUCH that needs work in this park. To quote Melanie when we chatted moments ago - Epcot really needs a DCA complete do over. It's really gotten that bad.

I sincerely hope this is just the start but I won't hold my breath.

To those upset at the changes in entertainment, they all had a pretty good run.
    Last edited by John; 08-28-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with John on this one. Disney has a bad habit of keeping some things (particularly entertainment offerings and fireworks shows) WAY too long. It would be nice to have new stuff to look forward to more often. I know these musical acts have a strong, almost cult, following, but personally, I am tired of seeing/hearing the same old same old at Epcot. Maybe they will refresh Illuminations next, as it is past due for an update as well.

I see this as them actually doing something to address the staleness at Epcot. Any forward progress is good.

And, for the record, I think a lumberjack show in Canada might actually draw my family into the pavilion. That is something we've never seen and holds infinitely more appeal than Off Killter, to me anyway, and to my kids.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to complain just to complain about change. John's points are quite valid. I think for a lot of us we develop favorite memories at WDW and don't like those memories to change. But, it's just time to make some new memories.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I will miss the Showcase Players and Off Kilter, as well as the Fife and Drum Corps, but let's give Disney some credit here....were all of you excited back when those shows *started* their runs? Of course not. You probably thought, "A rock band with an electric bagpipe? That's just stupid!" But then we listened and loved it.

Give the new entertainment a chance. I'm sure that they put some thought into it. We might be bemoaning these new guys ten years from now when they're due to be replaced.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I am really bummed. I mean what was better than enjoying a drink and Off-Kilter?

I get that Epcot needs a major overhaul. Future world looks right out the 80's. There are just those things that make your Epcot day a good one, and that you enjoy!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. I agree. Epcot needs major work. There is hardly anything there anymore. I don't mind them changing out the entertainment but why not FIX the things that are in dire need first?
    šš*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Wow, everywhere you turn they are shaking things up. I am not planning a trip until Fall 2015 but it seems I will not recognize the place.

1. All new Polynesian Village Resort
    2. Completely overhauled Disney Springs
    3. New Avatarland at AK
    4. New Star Wars land at DHS
    5. New Four Seasons Hotel

Now all new acts in Epcot replacing the ones I am so used to. I don't know whether to be happy or sad, it may be great to have new stuff, but I will certainly miss the old. I really enjoyed Off Kilter, this makes me sad.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with John about the need for change in Epcot. Off Kilter seemed so popular that I'm not sure that's a good one to replace, but if the general attitude is all out with the old and in with the new... it can't be all bad. Well, it could be. I'm not sure changing entertainment acts is what is needed as far as refurbishment. A lot of the things John mentioned, definitely. Sometimes the changes work out. I'm almost always optimistic at first. But I do know that a lot of people are going to miss acts like Off Kilter, and that's sad news for the fans.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

A travesty! World Showcase Players are THE reason I think Epcot is so great. They personify what the World Showcase is all about - bringing live entertainment from different countries right in front of you. It was this troupe and this troupe alone that got me to fall in love with Epcot.

As for Epcot needing a refresher, how about TDO start where it's needed. You know, like the incredibly lame Captain Eo, or the eternally boring Universe of Energy. How about turning Innoventions into an Avengers area like they have in Anaheim. But taking away good entertainment that has cult following... totally stupid.

I'll be back soon to post the "Keep World Showcase Players at Epcot" facebook fan page. It should be done by the evening.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping we can leave this up for a little bit. This is my attempt at a grass roots movement to keep the World Showcase Players at Epcot. Feel free to "like" and share with your Disney loving friends.

https://www.facebook.com/honoraryworldshowcaseplayers
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I'm hoping we can leave this up for a little bit. This is my attempt at a grass roots movement to keep the World Showcase Players at Epcot. Feel free to "like" and share with your Disney loving friends.

https://www.facebook.com/honoraryworldshowcaseplayers
    It's not going to help but I'll leave it here for now...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I agree with John on this one. Disney has a bad habit of keeping some things (particularly entertainment offerings and fireworks shows) WAY too long. It would be nice to have new stuff to look forward to more often. I know these musical acts have a strong, almost cult, following, but personally, I am tired of seeing/hearing the same old same old at Epcot. Maybe they will refresh Illuminations next, as it is past due for an update as well.

I see this as them actually doing something to address the staleness at Epcot. Any forward progress is good.

And, for the record, I think a lumberjack show in Canada might actually draw my family into the pavilion. That is something we've never seen and holds infinitely more appeal than Off Killter, to me anyway, and to my kids.
    This.

I especially agree with what Natalie says about the new show for Canada. The new show doesn't sound interesting to me, but I am not a big fan of Off Kilter, either. I'm pretty sure most kids weren't that interested in watching/listening to a Celtic rock band. I think the new show may hold more appeal for kids, especially boys. Don't we say all the time on here there aren't enough things geared towards boys ? I love the World Showcase Players, but if I look at it objectively, it isn't humorous to most of today's kids and young adults.

I will check out all the new acts. I arrive a week after the old acts leave, so I am hoping some of the new acts will be in place when I get there. Next thing that needs to change is Illuminations. While I love the music for that show, it has run its course.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    A travesty! World Showcase Players are THE reason I think Epcot is so great. They personify what the World Showcase is all about - bringing live entertainment from different countries right in front of you. It was this troupe and this troupe alone that got me to fall in love with Epcot.

As for Epcot needing a refresher, how about TDO start where it's needed. You know, like the incredibly lame Captain Eo, or the eternally boring Universe of Energy. How about turning Innoventions into an Avengers area like they have in Anaheim. But taking away good entertainment that has cult following... totally stupid.

I'll be back soon to post the "Keep World Showcase Players at Epcot" facebook fan page. It should be done by the evening.
    Gator, face it, Epcot is dead... They are turning it into MK 2.0... Toons toons everywhere... Dumbing down to appeal to toddlers, not adults... Frozen in Maelstrom will be the final nail in the coffin...

Oh and BTW, WDW can not use Avengers in any WDW theme park... Remember that pesky deal with Universal?

As for these entertainment cuts and changes... Budget cuts, plain and simple... They aren't doing it to refresh the offerings, so please let's not go there... Entertainment budgets have been slashed due to... Ready? My Magic Plus cost over runs... yes, those things Motley Fool have deemed to be working, are in fact affecting the parks, not in a good way but in a negative way... People, let this sink in... Stop listening to outside sources who are no better than National Enquirer... MyMagic/NextGen is a financial failure at this point... And these are the results... Start getting mad at the causes and the reasons and the monkeys running TDO and TWDC...

Oh but wait, they are replacing the cuts entertainment, so you are wrong DF... Nope, sorry, not wrong... The replacements are cheaper than Off Kilter, Mo'Rockin, etc... Now, does that mean the new offerings will be horrible? No, not at all... The new offerings may be fun and entertaining... On the surface they look dumb, stupid and the continuing of the dumbing down of WDW... But, until we know more, or actually see the new offerings, we can't tell... I don't expect anything good at all... But, they can't be any worse than Stitch's Supersonic Dance Party or what ever that travesty was...

Wait until they announce the last show for Illuminations... You think the internet blew up today...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Speechless.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, anyone who is upset, write to WDW, TWDC, managers, everyone... Call, flood their emails... Need info? Here it is!!

Tom Staggs
    Chariman of WDPR
    818-560-6977
    [email protected]

Meg Crofton
    President WDPR Ops US and France
    818-560-7401
    [email protected]

George Kalogridis
    President of WDW
    407-828-2600
    [email protected]

Jim MacPhee
    SVP of NGE and WDW Parks
    407-560-2960
    [email protected]

Sam Lau
    VP of Epcot
    407-560-7025
    [email protected]

Jack Feivou
    GM of Epcot Entertainment Operations
    407-560-6017
    [email protected]
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: