Quantcast Handicapped Parking Spaces @ Parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Handicapped Parking Spaces @ Parks

So - This will be our 71st trip to WDW but our 1st time staying at FW. Because I have read that the bus system at FW is cumbersome, I'm thinking that we may drive to the parks. My mother has a handicapped tag and we will have an ECV with us. Can anyone tell me about the parking at the parks? Are the spaces near the bus areas more than out in the boondocks of the parking lots? Are they severely limited?

Also - Any thoughts on the WDW transportation at FW? Quicker to drive with the ECV in tow or just bus it?

Thanks so much!!
    Dixie Landings - 22 Visits
    WL - 16 Visits & Wedding Ceremony!
    AKLodge - 1 Visit
    PO - 1 Visit
    Poly - 1 Visit
    YC - 25 Visits
    BC - 3 Visits
    DTD Hilton - 1 Visit
    Off Site - 3 Visits & Counting...
    Grand Cali - Disneyland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Handicapped spaces are reasonably plentiful. However, they aren't always convenient. Obviously with an ECV you can't take the trams and have to walk to the ticket window. DAK the parking is fairly close to the front. As close as you can get. At DHS the parking is behind the bus drop off so you have to walk all the way around the buses to get to the gate. At MK you walk from the parking lot to the TTC. At Epcot it varies but is not too bad from the parking lot into the front gate. Unless you're there at one of the busiest times of the year you shouldn't have a problem finding a space, but just be aware the parking can be a bit of a haul. Not bad, just not right at the gates.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend taking the bus to MK. The handicap parking is at the front of the parking lot, but it is a fair walk to the TTC, and then you have to take the ferry or the monorail to the MK entrance. For that one, much easier just to take Disney transport direct to MK.

For the others, they are fairly close to the front, easy for the ECV and not too bad for those walking at all.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I would recommend taking the bus to MK. The handicap parking is at the front of the parking lot, but it is a fair walk to the TTC, and then you have to take the ferry or the monorail to the MK entrance. For that one, much easier just to take Disney transport direct to MK.

For the others, they are fairly close to the front, easy for the ECV and not too bad for those walking at all.
    I agree. Travelling from the Magic Kingdom parking lot is a pain no matter how you do it. If you really don't want to do the bus, it is fine but the walk from the handicap section to the monorail/ferry is definitely a walk and does have an uphill portion.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I agree. Travelling from the Magic Kingdom parking lot is a pain no matter how you do it. If you really don't want to do the bus, it is fine but the walk from the handicap section to the monorail/ferry is definitely a walk and does have an uphill portion.
    I'm in agreement with Heather and Cindy. Use the bus for MK. It is the better option. I travel with someone who uses a wheelchair, so it is easier to get it into the car, but we use bus or monorail for MK. For the other parks, the handicap spaces are close and not difficult for wheelchair/ECV users.

I will add that I recommend the bus for Downtown Disney as well. Handicapped spaces were difficult to get before the construction and now it is nearly impossible.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed! Handicap parking at MK is ridiculous. My husband uses and ECV and I occasionally use one but if I'm not using that and we park there, it really is a tough walk down and up that hill just to get to the TTC.
    "I'm too excited to sleep."

Post Thanks / Like

Can an EVC take the boat over to MK? Might be a better solution if possible.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    Can an EVC take the boat over to MK? Might be a better solution if possible.
    An ECV can go on the ferry from the TTC.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    An ECV can go on the ferry from the TTC.
    As a reminder, you can take the ferry from TTC, the boat transportation from the Epcot Resorts to Epcot and DHS and the boat to the MK from Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. The smaller boats used to transport between MK and the Poly and GF, as well as the DTD boats from Riverside/POFQ and SSR/OKW do not accommodate ECVs or wheelchairs.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    as well as the DTD boats from Riverside/POFQ and SSR/OKW do not accommodate ECVs or wheelchairs.
    The boats from OKW and POR do take ECV and wheelchairs. I use an ECV from both of these locations all the time.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago when we stayed at FW, we had to wait quite some time for a boat from MK back to FW. Turns out the long wait was due to them sending another (larger) boat for an ECV user. I don't know if this is stil the practice.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    The boats from OKW and POR do take ECV and wheelchairs. I use an ECV from both of these locations all the time.
    Oh, the boats must have changed from the last time I stayed at these resorts with my Mom. It has been a while, so I am glad to know this has changed. I wonder if they have changed the boats at GF and Poly to MK as well. Previously, it was just the smaller boats where you had to step down to get into the boat and no place for an ECV or wheelchair to just roll on. I'll be checking in at VGF a week from Sunday (though Mom is not coming with us this time), so I'll make a point to take the boat at least once instead of the monorail to see if it has changed.
    Christine șoș

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: