Quantcast Did Bob Iger just annouce a Star Wars theme park?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did Bob Iger just annouce a Star Wars theme park?

A friend posted an article from an LA entertainment site that is reporting Bob Iger saying that next year Disney would formally announce plans to build a Star Wars-themed park. This was supposedly said during a conference call discussing the company's 3rd quarter financial results (which investors are invited to listen in on).

That article also links to a Star Wars blog that is reporting the same thing, except that they state the speculation is more along the lines of a Star Wars themed land at Disneyland.

Hmmm.....
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Igers quote was more along the lines of "Star Wars will have an increased presence in our theme parks" with "details coming in 2015." This can mean a lot of things, but the strongest rumors right now are lands in DHS or DL's Tomorrowland (or both). Speculation is these announcements will be made either at D23 Expo next August or to kick off DL's 60th birthday celebration next spring.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no where did Iger say "star wars theme park" just a bigger presence in them, which is fine by me! I would assume it would be the long rumored Star Wars land in Studios and DL.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way in the world they would build an new individual theme park at WDW anytime in at least the next 10 years. Well unless someone is really stupid and give it the go ahead. They currently have 3 parks that are in desperate need of updating and/or more attractions. DHS needs more major attractions and a little organization. Epcot is turning into a run down, dilapidated mess with unused empty buildings along with only a couple of major attractions. Animal Kingdom......I don't think I really need to go there but they are about to enhance it with Avatar Land.

The most likely scenario is a Land/section with star wars theming at DHS. This would be a good fit and make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    There is no way in the world they would build an new individual theme park at WDW anytime in at least the next 10 years. Well unless someone is really stupid and give it the go ahead. They currently have 3 parks that are in desperate need of updating and/or more attractions. DHS needs more major attractions and a little organization. Epcot is turning into a run down, dilapidated mess with unused empty buildings along with only a couple of major attractions. Animal Kingdom......I don't think I really need to go there but they are about to enhance it with Avatar Land.

The most likely scenario is a Land/section with star wars theming at DHS. This would be a good fit and make sense.
    I think we must be visiting 2 totally different parks. While they could use some sprucing IMO I don't think they are anywhere near the dilapidated terrible mess that you do.

As a SW fan, this is such exciting news!!!!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

The un-used or under-used buildings are there for times when Disney needs to use them.

Each park usually has several buildings that may be empty for 80%-90% of the year, but that 10%-20% of the time where crowd levels or events necessitate extra space, they have it to use it.

And, no, I don't think Star Wars could support it's own theme park. However, it could support it's own themed land. And even if a person wasn't a Star Wars fan, creating an area that is highly themed and really takes you from the real world and into a fantasy world can be appreciated by most people.

That's is what Universal has done with Harry Potter and I have no doubt Disney has watched Harry Potter and will make sure Star Wars is not going to be short-changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    The un-used or under-used buildings are there for times when Disney needs to use them.

Each park usually has several buildings that may be empty for 80%-90% of the year, but that 10%-20% of the time where crowd levels or events necessitate extra space, they have it to use it.

And, no, I don't think Star Wars could support it's own theme park. However, it could support it's own themed land. And even if a person wasn't a Star Wars fan, creating an area that is highly themed and really takes you from the real world and into a fantasy world can be appreciated by most people.

That's is what Universal has done with Harry Potter and I have no doubt Disney has watched Harry Potter and will make sure Star Wars is not going to be short-changed.
    Star Wars could absolutely support an entire park. It is such a complex universe with plenty of potential.

But it would be a BAD idea at WDW to build a 5th gate. Not so bad an idea in Anaheim though. They actually could stand to shift the crowds away from DL and DCA a bit more. Not sure they have the land in Anaheim though.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree that no fifth park is needed with the opportunities at existing parks. Maybe a Star Wars coaster and/or TSM like attaction? The Studios are an obvious choice, but could there be any Epcot tie in?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Totally agree that no fifth park is needed with the opportunities at existing parks. Maybe a Star Wars coaster and/or TSM like attaction? The Studios are an obvious choice, but could there be any Epcot tie in?
    Epcot?!?! No. Unless you wanted to make World Showcase the Galactic Showcase.

HS makes perfect sense. The entire Echo Lake, Streets of America, and/or Backlot Tour area makes perfect sense.

This process not beginning until Pandora is almost open also makes sense. They'd announce something next year, start building in 2016, finish in 2019-2020. That's about the same timetable as Pandora and New Fantasyland (if you consider NFL as not being completed until the Mine Train was ready).

Post Thanks / Like

Star Wars could not support its own park, no way no how... No IP could... Never mind WDW can't keep their current 4 parks up to date and show ready... You want a 5th park?

A land is the best any IP could do... And is all any IP should ever get.. Yes, including Star Wars...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Cars has its own entire land, and it's based on ONE movie. There are already six Star Wars movies, with three more coming, plus the Clone Wars series. That is plenty of material for an entire park, EASILY.

Again, I don't think it will happen, but it would be quite possible. George Lucas has spoken about the idea of a SW theme park in the past. It is not a far fetched idea at all.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Cars has its own entire land, and it's based on ONE movie. There are already six Star Wars movies, with three more coming, plus the Clone Wars series. That is plenty of material for an entire park, EASILY.

Again, I don't think it will happen, but it would be quite possible. George Lucas has spoken about the idea of a SW theme park in the past. It is not a far fetched idea at all.
    That is true. I remember years ago hearing him talk about something along those lines.
    Their could be some really exciting things for a theme park for sure.

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention other lucasfilm properties like Howard the Duck!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is themed around Europe, with different parts of the park themed for different countries (England, Scotland, Germany, Italy, etc).

You could have a park with different lands: Coruscant, Tatooine, Degobah, Naboo, Cloud City, The Death Star, Endor, Hoth, to name a few. Then add in a couple of rides, a couple of themed restaurants, a boatload of gift shops and you have yourselves a park. Well, in ten years you'd have yourselves a park.

However, like others have said, I think it is far more likely that they just create an immersive themed land. Here's to hoping they do it in Florida.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreeing with the masses, Star Wars could absolutely be its own park. Do I think it's a good idea, or do I think Disney will do it? No. Studios needs an immersive land like this-and it would still needs additions even after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Absolutely. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is themed around Europe, with different parts of the park themed for different countries (England, Scotland, Germany, Italy, etc).

You could have a park with different lands: Coruscant, Tatooine, Degobah, Naboo, Cloud City, The Death Star, Endor, Hoth, to name a few. Then add in a couple of rides, a couple of themed restaurants, a boatload of gift shops and you have yourselves a park. Well, in ten years you'd have yourselves a park.

However, like others have said, I think it is far more likely that they just create an immersive themed land. Here's to hoping they do it in Florida.
    Oh that would be so awesome!!! Fog machines for the Dagaboh land. To make it realistic. Oh the possibilities!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My issue with a SW land is that it just doesn't seem to be enough. In order to make it really good, they would have to really focus on ONE aspect of it and there are just too many settings to choose from. Carsland works because it is FOCUSED. The bulk of Cars takes place in Radiator Springs and that is the home of all the main characters. Recreating RS was a perfect way to "do" a land. Diagon alley and Hogsmeade are excellent examples of this as well. For SW, how do you narrow it down to ONE place?
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see. Spend a billion to create a part of the Star Wars universe, or a billion to create...Pandora??? One franchise has 6 films, billions in merch sales, and has stood the test of time for nearly 40 years. The other....had a really good feature that took advantage of the emerging 3-D craze.

STAR WARS!!!
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Let's see. Spend a billion to create a part of the Star Wars universe, or a billion to create...Pandora??? One franchise has 6 films, billions in merch sales, and has stood the test of time for nearly 40 years. The other....had a really good feature that took advantage of the emerging 3-D craze.

STAR WARS!!!
    Don't forget they are currently working on the next 3 films......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    [/COLOR]

Don't forget they are currently working on the next 3 films......
    Three? I'm sure they'll milk it for all it's worth! Maybe thirty three?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: