Quantcast Stand-by Fasspass tests????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stand-by Fasspass tests????

I'm seeing information from some other sites about a trial for a paper standby fastpass for some attractions at WDW. At the Frozen M&G at MK as well as the Frozen Sing-Along at DHS, they are giving out paper passes with return times to get into the standby line. The thought is that this will allow people to do other things (read - spend $$) rather than wait 2-3 hours in line. There is also talk of trialing this at Soarin' next week.

Does this make sense? For short term issues like the Frozen phenomenon I think it works but for capacity issues with an attraction like Soarin' this is more of a band-aid than a real solution.

What happens then, when they run out of standby passes at 4pm? Are you then out of luck for the rest of the day to see an attraction?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger's #1 Fan View Post
    I'm seeing information from some other sites about a trial for a paper standby fastpass for some attractions at WDW. At the Frozen M&G at MK as well as the Frozen Sing-Along at DHS, they are giving out paper passes with return times to get into the standby line.
    Return time for a "standby" line? Or into the fastpass line? Or, does this mean there is no "standby" line unless you have a paper fastpass?

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

These are return passes to get into the Stand-by line, so I would assume then, that you cannot get into the standy-by line without one.

The words behind it are that you will wait no longer than about 30 mins. once you get into the stand-by line which makes me think they are controlling/restricting entry into the standby line.

Post Thanks / Like

These are return passes to get into the Stand-by line, so I would assume then, that you cannot get into the standy-by line without one.

The words behind it are that you will wait no longer than about 30 mins. once you get into the stand-by line which makes me think they are controlling/restricting entry into the standby line.
    Ok. Thanks. It's just a little strange that you can't wait in line even if you wanted to do so (thinking about the situation of what happens when fastpasses are gone a 4pm type of situation).

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

From what I'm reading the return will be to the standby line. They are going to close the standby lines when they are full and direct you to MK support. You will get a standby line pass there for first come first serve to enter the line at a certain time (30 minute window). They will be restricting the number of standby tickets issued per hour. Bottom line is you will still have to wait but they are trying to do away with ridiculous times at attractions like A&E.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

from Theme Park University
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 07-25-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: link removed TOS

Post Thanks / Like

So let's recap...

Disney started FP with paper fastpasses for guests to return at a later time during the day... Then they change FP to FP+, and eliminate the paper fastpasses... They add FP+ to rides which don't need FP thus increasing wait times... Also you can book 60 days out, not have to run to an attraction to get a paper FP, and so you could spend less time in lines (hasn't worked, guests are, on the average spending more time in lines)... only to now to create a situation where guests have to run to an attraction to obtain a paper fastpass to so you now don't have to wait on the stand by line and return when yourn new paper fastpass tells you to so you can wait in standby..

WDW is the most relaxing, most magical vacation EVER...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Fastpass for Standby! Now I've seen everything!

WOW!

We're not far off from a fastpass for the restrooms folks!

Post Thanks / Like

When I first read about it, I almost though it was a joke. They spent how much to put a system in place to get people to plan ahead only to have to revert back to the same old system when they are unable to deal with demand. It borders on the definition of insanity.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first read about it, I almost though it was a joke. They spent how much to put a system in place to get people to plan ahead only to have to revert back to the same old system when they are unable to deal with demand. It borders on the definition of insanity.
    TDO are the most brilliant people ever... Iger is the best CEO ever... Staggs is a genius... Rasulo knows what he is doing...

SAID NO ONE EVER....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first read about it, I almost though it was a joke. They spent how much to put a system in place to get people to plan ahead only to have to revert back to the same old system when they are unable to deal with demand. It borders on the definition of stupidity.
    Fixed it for you...

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm guessing the next level of "innovation" is being able to get a FP+ so you can schedule a time to get a paper fastpass so you can go get in the standby line, because all the attraction's FP+'s were gone a month ago.

Next up, getting a FP to get a FP to get a FP to get a FP....

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly in line with their goal of keeping people out of lines where there's no opportunity for impulse purchases and in other areas where they will constantly be passing gift shops or food carts or kiosks, though as Freak mentioned, I'm not sure that has actually been the result.

I'm really surprised they haven't started putting shops/carts/kiosks IN the line itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Except Disney stock keeps going up, up, up. So they must be doing something right.

I have a hard time believing you can't get in line with out one of these tickets. I think you can, the wait will just be horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard time believing you can't get in line with out one of these tickets. I think you can, the wait will just be horrible.
    Logistically that would be a nightmare. They would need 3 separate lines (FP+, standby pass, regular standby) and then have to choose how to pull from each. I am confident you cannot get into line if they are handing out these return cards, which I agree is unbelievable)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Except Disney stock keeps going up, up, up. So they must be doing something right.

Stock price is going up because revenue is greater than expenses.

Raise prices and cut back spending and wall street is happy. WDW is doing both of those. Customer satisfaction is not figured into stock price.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read this is a test that will only last a few days, and yes, it means that generally you won't be allowed into the stand-by line without a "return ticket". The exceptions have been first thing in the AM (until the return line is full) and there was a report of the stand-by line re-opening quite late in the evening.

I think Disney was caught by surprise with the length of the Frozen lines, and the lack of natural "die-down". I can only image the feedback they were getting over the crazy long waits, and they felt they had to do *something*. Really though, it isn't worse than having people wait 5 hours to see Anna & Elsa.

At some point though, Disney is going to realize that they just need more attractions to deal with the attendance numbers. You can only manage the lines so much.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I really have no idea why some on here post, when all you write is negative, and you know who you are. I LOVE Disney, and I come here because of that, why you post so often I have no idea, except maybe you work for Universal, but other than that, no idea.

Disney is trying to make your waits in line shorter, and you're complaining about that? Will it work? Maybe, maybe not, but if they didn't you would just whine about the long waits.

And you should do some research and look up and find the facts to what this really is. It's actually a very good idea.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

If this is used for anything other than Frozen, then I see this as a simple money-grab by Disney. They want to cut the Standby line off early enough to have cleared the que by the time park closing occurs, instead of paying CMs more to serve the "90 minutes" worth of people who got into line at Soarin' prior to 8:59PM.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

They are return passes for the standby line. They were using them for the Captain Jack Sparrow experience in DHS at the end of June. You cannot get in the standby line without getting a paper pass. I don't like it. It's much like the old fastpass system where you had to run all over the park to get passes only with this system, once the passes are gone, there is no way to experience the attraction as the lines are now full.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: