Quantcast Expecting our First Child! Advice?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Expecting our First Child! Advice?

DH and I are thrilled to announce that we will be welcoming the littlest mousketeer to our family just in time for Christmas!
    This is our first child, and will also be the first grandchild for both of our families. Needless to say everyone is super excited , but we are also a little clueless when it comes to babies since we are the first ones of our generation to start this next adventure.

We are beginning the process of starting our registry/deciding what to buy, and it is simultaneously extremely fun and overwhelming. I figured, what better place than Intercot to seek advice from some great people!? So to all you moms and dads out there, I will start by asking for some general advice on "baby gear."

1. Name me one or two things that turned out to be life-savers- think of them as your "must-do's" for getting through the first year.

2. On the flip side, name me one or two things that ended up being a waste. You thought you "had to have it" but it just ended up taking space/$$ that could've been used for something else.

3. The ever popular stroller/travel system question. Which stroller and/or car seat did you end up choosing and are you happy with your choice?

I look forward to your responses! (That is until you all start telling me contradictory things and only end up making me more confused in the end... just kidding )
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! So exciting!

1. Loved our fisher price rock n play. Dr. Browns bottles and video monitor.

2. Never used the boppy or bumbo seat

3. Have the Chico key fit system and liked it though the stroller is bulky. Also have the baby jogger city mini and love it. It is so light and compact. It was great at disney as because it folds so easily.

Hope this helps!
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to give great advice, but my kids are so old by now and times have changed in 20 years! I can't believe it has been 20 years... anyway...

I can't advise on great new baby gear, but my best advice is to be careful about asking for advice. What works for some parents/babies doesn't work for others and what doesn't work for some... And you'll be getting lots of unsolicited advice. Way more than you want. Everyone feels like it's perfectly fair to weigh in on your pregnancy/parenting/children without even being asked. As excited as you are now, you will see that it can get frustrating at times. Advice on what to buy in advance can be helpful, though.

Yay! What a great time for you! I'm so happy and excited for you. Congratulations and very best wishes.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Such an exciting time in your life.

A kind woman once told me when I looked exhausted and overwhelmed in the early days of bringing my daughter home, and it stuck with me...

"The nights are long, but the years go so fast". Enjoy it all!

Enjoy the ride, none of us gets it all right all the time!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Babies are always lovely news!

Both of our boys loved the baby swing, and it allowed us to eat dinner together at the table every night from day one.

Different things work for different families, so take the advice with a grain of salt (master the smile and nod response now!).
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got nothing but we're also expecting our first (in 9ish weeks!?). My only advice.... pregnancy can go crazy fast. I'm still trying to figure out where 1st and 2nd trimester went. Take "bump" pics if only for yourself, you'll look back in amazement at what you thought was you huge at 15 weeks when your suddenly 31 weeks.

And for registries, I did Babies R Us and Amazon. I've been surprised with how much people loved buying off the amazon one. It was also nice because I knew I was putting things up at the best prices and was able to add things you may not find in your classic baby stores.

Happy and healthy 9 months to you
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is 24, so my opinions really can't be worth much. I do agree with above poster, the baby swing was our lifesaver. Congrats to both of you.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I can't offer advice on current baby products since my kiddos are 19 and 14 but I will offer this - go actually play with stuff in the stores. Compare things like ease of folding and steering, size and weight, and storage in a stroller, safety ratings and ease of use for car seats, consider a few different types of bottles, nipples, and pacifiers since some babies are VERY picky and others don't care what they have. It's all a learning process and every child is different. You will get a lot of advice, especially since it's your first. Some will be great, some not so much.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you and your DH. As others have said you will definitely get conflicting advice since what works for some doesn't work for others. But hopefully some of the suggestions you receive here will help you during this amazing time!

1. Must Have's for Me: Video Monitor, Medela Pump In Style Double Breast Pump (if you plan on breastfeeding totally worth the expense, but check with insurance as they may provide one free), boppy (see, first discrepancy ) and I wish I had gotten a fisher price rock n play and will be getting one of these for eventual #2. The swing was also a lifesavor for us. Oh and for a winter baby they make a cover for the car seat (shower cap style that goes around the edge as you don't want to put anything between the car seat and baby) that we found really helpful for carrying them in and out of places and still kept them warm.

2. With a winter baby, a snowsuit. For the age they'll be it just didn't make sense since they shouldn't wear something that bulky in the car seat (my DS was a thanksgiving baby). Also a bumbo, but that was mainly because my DS legs were to chubby for it lol.

3. We had the Graco infant car seat that went to about 30 or 35lbs and was part of the travel system. I'm actually still using the stroller from our travel system and my DS is 2.5 now. We also have a Chicco Liteway for our "umbrella" stroller and we love this one for traveling to Disney and taking on any plane. It's light weight, collapses quite small, but still has a full recline, all at a great price.
    Kristina
    "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you" - Figment & Dreamfinder

Oct 2017 WL
    Oct 2014 WL
    May 2013 WL (DS 1st Trip) - Club Level
    Sep 2010 WL
    May 09 WL
    Oct 08 Poly
    Jun 07 WL (Disneymoon)
    Jul 04 WL
    Apr 2000 GF
    1982-1999 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    Congrats! I can't offer advice on current baby products since my kiddos are 19 and 14 but I will offer this - go actually play with stuff in the stores. Compare things like ease of folding and steering, size and weight, and storage in a stroller, safety ratings and ease of use for car seats, consider a few different types of bottles, nipples, and pacifiers since some babies are VERY picky and others don't care what they have. It's all a learning process and every child is different. You will get a lot of advice, especially since it's your first. Some will be great, some not so much.
    I agree 100% with this. You don't really know if you're going to like certain things unless you play with them and try them out.
    Kristina
    "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you" - Figment & Dreamfinder

Oct 2017 WL
    Oct 2014 WL
    May 2013 WL (DS 1st Trip) - Club Level
    Sep 2010 WL
    May 09 WL
    Oct 08 Poly
    Jun 07 WL (Disneymoon)
    Jul 04 WL
    Apr 2000 GF
    1982-1999 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My boys are 16 and 13 so I can't give too much advice on products. I can say that even if you buy something today.. better will always come out tomorrow!

I think the best "baby" invention was the little swimmers diapers.. my boys have always loved the water - and being from south Louisiana, we are usually around it some kind of way.

Other advice - unrelated to items is..

1- a babys laugh is the most precious sound in the world... so soak up every one!

2 - the dishes can wait.. go play, read a book or whatever it is they want to do before bed! Soon enough they are teenagers and dont "need" you as much!

3 - enjoy everything all over thru their eyes.. play Santa Clause, tooth fairy, etc. The first time I walked into MK with my boys was fantastic and brought tears to my eyes.

4 - play in the dirt and play in the rain!

5 - remember you aren't perfect - but you are perfect for your kids! They love you no matter what.. so don't worry about doing it wrong!

Congratulations! Enjoy every day of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Dad's perspective here, plus my daughter just turned 20.

Get a Diaper Genie. Yes, the refills are more expensive than the competitor. However, Diaper Genie does a much better job (still) at containing the odor that can come from a deposable diaper pail.

Other than that, I have no clue about current products.

Enjoy your baby because the time will pass faster than you can ever imagine.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

My DD will be 24 on June 5th and it just seems like yesterday she was born!

Two must have items that I put in every baby gift are: Mylicon Drops and Desitin! Both were given to me when DD was born and I wish we had taken stock in the companies.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dobby2010 View Post
    Congrats! So exciting!
    1. Loved our fisher price rock n play. Dr. Browns bottles and video monitor.

2. Never used the boppy or bumbo seat

3. Have the Chico key fit system and liked it though the stroller is bulky. Also have the baby jogger city mini and love it. It is so light and compact. It was great at disney as because it folds so easily.

Hope this helps!
    Absolutely! I'm pretty interested in the Rock N Play, so I'm glad you liked it! I would ideally like to do one of the infant seat/compatible stroller combos but bulkiness seems to be a common complaint. We are very much on-the-go people and are looking for something that's not a big clunker.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I can't advise on great new baby gear, but my best advice is to be careful about asking for advice. What works for some parents/babies doesn't work for others and what doesn't work for some... And you'll be getting lots of unsolicited advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Different things work for different families, so take the advice with a grain of salt (master the smile and nod response now!).
    Oh yes, absolutely to both of you. I've already had to employ the smile and nod a few times. Everyone seems to have an opinion on the "right way" to do things. That's why I'm just focusing on the *stuff* to help me narrow down some options... beyond that I'm not sure how much advice I'll be soliciting!
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    Enjoy the ride, none of us gets it all right all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    I've got nothing but we're also expecting our first (in 9ish weeks!?)...

And for registries, I did Babies R Us and Amazon. I've been surprised with how much people loved buying off the amazon one. It was also nice because I knew I was putting things up at the best prices and was able to add things you may not find in your classic baby stores.
    Congrats to you, it won't be long now! And glad to hear Amazon worked out for you. I was thinking of doing Amazon and Buy Buy Baby. There are two in the area and at a first glance, they seemed to have more things I wanted as opposed to BRU. Prices are pretty similar, but BuyBuy Baby/ Bed Bath and Beyond are always sending out coupons around here and you can use both store's coupons. Most of my friends love to online shop, but I know there are still people that like to physically go to the store and look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    Congrats! I can't offer advice on current baby products since my kiddos are 19 and 14 but I will offer this - go actually play with stuff in the stores.
    Oh yes! We did a quick drive by of Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby. DH played with some of the strollers and was into it. We will set aside some time to go back and thoroughly investigate the ones we are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment104 View Post
    Congrats to you and your DH. As others have said you will definitely get conflicting advice since what works for some doesn't work for others. But hopefully some of the suggestions you receive here will help you during this amazing time!

1. Must Have's for Me: Video Monitor, Medela Pump In Style Double Breast Pump (if you plan on breastfeeding totally worth the expense, but check with insurance as they may provide one free)
    Great to hear. I do plan on it. Our insurance covers some, and Medela was the one I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by STIXmamma View Post
    Other advice - unrelated to items is..
    That was some great advice, you definitely brought a smile to my face. My MIL lives with us and she's a bit of a cleanliness freak, so I'll let her handle that stuff if she so pleases while I enjoy time with my little one. "Babies don't keep" as the poem goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Dad's perspective here, plus my daughter just turned 20.
    Get a Diaper Genie. Yes, the refills are more expensive than the competitor. However, Diaper Genie does a much better job (still) at containing the odor that can come from a deposable diaper pail.
    I was hoping this might be one item we could do without. Baby's room will be on the first floor only a few steps away from the door the backyard and trash gets taken out once a day, typically. Something to think about, though!

Thanks a ton so far everyone!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!!! We just welcomed our first baby in February - a boy! In terms of baby gear this is what we have and what I would recommend:

Car seat: Peg Perego Prima Viaggio (also purchased the Peg Perego Book Chasis for stroller system)

Main Stroller: Bugaboo Buffalo (friends also like and recommend the Bob, City Mini, and Uppa Baby Vista strollers).

We have the Bumbo seat and are just starting to use it. My son loves it. I also have the Boppy pillow but have hardly used it (I exclusively pump though and did not really nurse). Other friends have used it and loved it.

Other baby product recommendations:

Medela Freestyle pump and Medela bottles!

Diaper Dekor Plus (love this diaper pale; and you can use regular trash bags if you don't want to purchase the refill packs.)

Use cloth diapers for burp cloths.

4Moms Mamaroo (love this baby swing).

Motorolla Video Monitor.

Feel free to ask me any other baby related question. I'll let you know if I can think of anything else. We registered at Buy Buy Baby (and Amazon) and were very happy with them. Best of luck to you and your husband and lots of pixie dust for a healthy and safe pregnancy/birth.
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

My other "advice" is to not find out the sex! It can be hard at times but that moment in the delivery room (or operating room in my case) when the baby comes out and the doc says "it's a ..." is a moment that will tug on your heart strings forever. It really takes the whole birthing experience over the top. It's worth the wait, I promise you!

My family thought it was a lot of fun to not know either. My husband really loved being able to walk out to the waiting room and announce the sex. Once we were settled in our room, our family came back and we announced our son's name.
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle of the Ball 051411 View Post
    My other "advice" is to not find out the sex! It can be hard at times but that moment in the delivery room (or operating room in my case) when the baby comes out and the doc says "it's a ..." is a moment that will tug on your heart strings forever. It really takes the whole birthing experience over the top. It's worth the wait, I promise you!

My family thought it was a lot of fun to not know either. My husband really loved being able to walk out to the waiting room and announce the sex. Once we were settled in our room, our family came back and we announced our son's name.
    I can only imagine what a thrill that must've been! Unfortunately my husband and I are both very impatient and not too fond of surprises, so we will be finding out the gender, at least for this one. We are the type of people who get so excited for Christmas we start giving each other gifts early. I threw him a surprise 30th birthday last year and it was the hardest thing to keep it a secret. Thanks for all your other advice, too!! I appreciate it!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I can only imagine what a thrill that must've been! Unfortunately my husband and I are both very impatient and not too fond of surprises, so we will be finding out the gender, at least for this one. We are the type of people who get so excited for Christmas we start giving each other gifts early. I threw him a surprise 30th birthday last year and it was the hardest thing to keep it a secret.
    We chose to find out the gender ahead of time too and for us it actually heightened the anticipation of meeting our little guy (who is now almost 22 years old!).

I have no idea what strollers are out there these days but I would recommend investing in a nice baby swing. That was a life-saver if I had to take a shower or get a couple of things done around the house. Also buy a few lullaby CD's or download them onto your computer, iPhone, mp3 player or whatever. Not only are they soothing to the baby, but they can soothe a new mom's jangled nerves too.

On a side note, people seem to think a pregnant belly is public domain for patting, something I just had to grin and bear. I didn't mind the older ladies that did this; I guess I could understand that it brought back nice memories for them. But it can be very unsettling.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you!!!
    I don't have any first year advice but just thought I would pass something on. My great grandmother told me that the dishes, laundry, and other chores would always be there but my daughter would only be a little girl for a very short time...play with her, read to her, sing with her, and most of all just be with her. Best advice I every got as a parent!
    Enjoy your new little one!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! I agree with the others that favorites are likely to be person specific, but I will share a few things I have loved and what hasn't worked for me. My children are 2,3 and 5, and I have used my stroller system less than 10 times. I know people who adore them, but I have always found it just too cumbersome. I did love the Chicco car seat though that came with it. Instead I used one of those metal frame strollers you just set the car seat in and a lightweight Combi. As a walker and runner, I also find my BOB invaluable.

However, I would say that the absolute favorites of myself and my children are the Ergo carrier, the Maya wrap, and the king bed. All three of mine also liked the bouncy seat. We also went with Fisher Price booster seats instead of a high chair and never regretted that choice.

Good luck with all of the decisions. Like many of us, you will probably end up with items you thought you needed and never use and items you didn't start with initially but find you really wish you had.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: