Quantcast Under the sea ride at new fantasyland - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Little Mermaid ride at Disney California Adventure just reopened with many improvements and additions. The biggest being they repainted all the characters in the main room, and now use blacklights to make the room darker, and have more of an under the sea feel. Disneyland guests (Annual Passholders) have been complaining about the lighting not being what it should be since the attraction first opened. Disney apparently responded to the complaints to make it better.

I haven't been over to the park since it has reopened, but look forward to seeing it for myself. Also, more characters have been added throughout the ride to fill in some "dead" spots. As well as some adjustments to the look of many of the main characters at the end. No telling if Team Disney Orlando (know to be cheaper) will spend the money to do this in Florida.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    I think part of the problem is that they tried to make a "classic dark ride", except it is missing the "classic" part.

It's kind of like the Old Yankee Stadium vs the New Yankee Stadium. The new one is awesome, and they incorporated a lot of "classic" features from the old one, but it's just not the same...
    That is the perfect description. However, we do enjoy it. Over time, the crowds will die down and it'll be a fun, quicker dark ride (like Small World). Did see the Cali version just lack week. The wait was 5 minutes. But then again, everyone is waiting 2 hrs for Cars, there.

I do feel the ride is too short, and hard to enjoy the music, and the ending is wrapped up real quickly...
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We really enjoy it. Rode it a couple of times this last trip and each time we passed it there was a 30 min. wait or more. However, I never expected it to be anything more than a cute dark ride. If I had expected it to be something different, I would have been disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Shame to hear it was a disappointment. I remember watching the concept video for it on the original DVD and how it was supposed to be a ride but they never made it. It looked amazing. But I was new to the idea of WDW rides at the time. TLM is undoubtedly my favorite movie (I have a huge little mermaid tattoo on my arm). I think the music alone, the atmosphere of the queue will be enough to make me wanna cry though. That movie defines my childhood for me (I have a lot of special memories of it with my mom who is deceased so it's very special).

I did wonder how it was though. It looks neat, and I thought the Nemo ride was neat with the technology and detail but they blast people through those rides to speed up wait times and I think it minimizes the experience. Perhaps that is a part of it?
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

My DD(3) loved it. We rode it during a soft opening in 2012. We also rode it in Disneyland. I think it was a pretty great ride considering that almost all the other newer rides from Disney have height restrictions.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    We really enjoy it. Rode it a couple of times this last trip and each time we passed it there was a 30 min. wait or more. However, I never expected it to be anything more than a cute dark ride. If I had expected it to be something different, I would have been disappointed.
    Yes to this. Myself and my kiddos love it. We love the music and sing along.

Now I DO have the same disappointed feelings towards TSM. I just don't like that attraction. But I'm not really an arcade game person so....
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    One problem for me is that it ends rather abruptly. After taking the time to tell the story, the end feels rushed. Another problem might be that the rooms are TOO large. With the classic dark rides, you get a really cozy feel. Still, overall, I enjoy the ride for what it is-- and I LOVE the queue at WDW. Really adds an extra element (even though it's way too long when there's no line).
    This is how I felt about it as well. It was an okay ride, but I just don't think it was as cohesive as it could have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Not fans (of the ride) love the movie, but I guess if you have small children they will love it. My niece loved it, but again she is 5... We rode it once or twice and I would never wait in a line for it. I think they missed on this one. It could have been more like you were actually in the water or something. My DH said it the first time we rode it, they are missing something here… and I have to agree it's 2014 with all the technology they could have done so much more to make you feel the "under the sea" part..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    Not fans (of the ride) love the movie, but I guess if you have small children they will love it. My niece loved it, but again she is 5... We rode it once or twice and I would never wait in a line for it. I think they missed on this one. It could have been more like you were actually in the water or something. My DH said it the first time we rode it, they are missing something here… and I have to agree it's 2014 with all the technology they could have done so much more to make you feel the "under the sea" part..
    Just rode this yesterday for the first time and we were completely disappointed. While their target audience is 5 yr. olds I think it even missed the mark for that age group. A lot of what Disney does is for that age group but adults always enjoy it too. It was beyond "cheesy" and the detail was just not there. It did feel uncompleted. If you looked up at the ceiling in some of the rooms you can see the roof structure and air conditioning ductwork. I was also disappointed with the fountains that looked like giant Christmas light holders. Can't describe that any better unless you've seen it you might get what I'm talking about. Why couldn't they incorporate real water?! I do love the movie as does my DD but we were completely underwhelmed "under the sea".

Post Thanks / Like

wow really? well everyone is entitled to their own
    opinion i guess , the 1st time me and dw rode this ride we liked it allot, the 2nd time we liked it even more, can't please everyone i guess. i always feel that no matter what Disney does your gonna have half the masses not liking it to half liking it. As an example you know how many times that we hear that people don't like the Fantasmic show at DHS, now to me and dw this is 1 of if not the best show on Disney property, again falls into the can't please everyone department. look at it like this we can be at more miserable places like work, so you know what i'll take anything bad at Disney to my best day at work, and this is imho

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't as great as I expected it to be but then again I'm not 5 years old. I wish they had an Ariel ride when I was a kid, but the grotto sufficed. I will say their attention to detail is impeccable, particularly in the que line. The line moved pretty quickly but the ride itself was not spectacular. It's ok and I'm glad it exists, but I agree something is missing.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the Little Mermaid Ride is very well done. However, I really think the ending leaves much to be desired - it doesn't really end - it just abruptly stops! There is a whole chunk of the story that is missing.

Post Thanks / Like

DBF and I were a little let down too.

Ursala is his favorite villain and we were a little let down that she was in a short segment at the end of the ride. The story line was a mere reflection of the movie and not very creative.

I liked Ariel though. I was pretty impressed by her dancing scene. The motions were really smooth. We probably won't do it again until we have kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most here as well. Which is a shame because I really like the little mermaid movie.

It didn't help that the Ursula room scared the heck out of my niece (almost 3).
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: