Quantcast Autistic Son.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Autistic Son.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Autistic Son.

I am Traveling with my 11year old son who has Autism, SPD, ADHD, and anxiety issues. My son loves all the rides. My son is not the most patient person in the world. Yes we are going too do the FastPass+ and the DAS. I know there will be times that we may gave too wait a bit in line.
    What do others parents do or bring too keep there kids occupied in line. Any sort of figit toy?
    Looking for some great ideas.

Thank you.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our daughter does pretty well in line, but has problems when things get tight and people are too close. A smartphone or iPad type device she can play/read on can be a very welcome distraction. I try not to use it, but like to be "armed"! It's vacation after all! Have an awesome trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Our son carries his phone and earbuds with him. The phone is a "dead" one, one of DHs old smart phones loaded with games. He plays on it when we have to wait longer than about 10 minutes. Our kids are also still very interested in those light up spinner toys so we often bring a small one that we got at Disneyland one year. The lights are a good visual distraction in dark queues.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others have already said, my son (14) brings his 3DS and his phone. It distracts him enough that he can do a line that is between 20-30 minutes, as long as it's not too cram-packed. If people touch him, that's an issue that the DS won't solve.

Bring what he likes to use at home, and you'll have a decent chance that it will help keep him distracted.

The biggest lesson I've learned is that you need to pay attention to his cues. If he's starting to get to his limits, we take a break. Much like when the kids were toddlers.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Autistic son

I am wondering if anyone with an asperger child has tried out the Das, we bought season passes for six flags and have gone twice, they use the come back later and get a time. I t is not working so good for Athens, he has a meltdown when he finds out he can't go on it now. He did great with the old system.
    Justice11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justice11 View Post
    I am wondering if anyone with an asperger child has tried out the Das, we bought season passes for six flags and have gone twice, they use the come back later and get a time. I t is not working so good for Athens, he has a meltdown when he finds out he can't go on it now. He did great with the old system.
    At Disney, the child does not have to be present to get the return time stamp. Can you maybe leave him with another adult somewhere while you go get the return time? Try explaining that everyone has to wait but his special card will let him do another ride while he waits, or go shop in the store, or have a snack, etc. Let him know he has two options, wait in line or choose an activity to do while waiting to come back to the ride. Kids like this (mine is Asperger's as well) appreciate "this or that" type scenarios. You can also use "first this, then that". It's quite easy to find something else to do while waiting for your return time at Disney. There is stuff around every corner.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: