Quantcast Spaceship Earth!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Spaceship Earth!

I was listening to some Disney parks music today and the most recent version of SSE came on. It made me realize how much I love this attraction. Odd, when I first rode it back in 2002, I felt it was a tad boring. I thought it would be so much more. But by the end of the ride, I "got it". Epcot is so different with it's attractions compared to other parks, and SSE is the crown jewell.

I must say that I really love the new theme music they came up with about 5 years ago. And I think Judi Dench does exceptional with the narration. I still love when you get to the top and the narrator says "...on this, our spaceship Earth." I still remember the first time I heard that said - it was mind-opening.

I could talk some more about it, but I'll let you jump in.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I was listening to some Disney parks music today and the most recent version of SSE came on. It made me realize how much I love this attraction. Odd, when I first rode it back in 2002, I felt it was a tad boring. I thought it would be so much more. But by the end of the ride, I "got it". Epcot is so different with it's attractions compared to other parks, and SSE is the crown jewell.

I must say that I really love the new theme music they came up with about 5 years ago. And I think Judi Dench does exceptional with the narration. I still love when you get to the top and the narrator says "...on this, our spaceship Earth." I still remember the first time I heard that said - it was mind-opening.

I could talk some more about it, but I'll let you jump in.
    I last rode it back 1989. Looking forward (after your praise) to riding in June. I didn't think it was thrilling... but I was a lot younger then and just married. A lot of people here slammed the new version (I don't remember any of it from 25 years ago) So, I wasn't looking forward to it... Am now!!!

I'll report back in 60+ days
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

YES! I have loved this ride since I was a little girl. I love the history (even if it is slightly oversimplified), the music, the staging and animatronics. I've always thought it was unique and special. Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Soarin and SSE are my two favorite rides @ Epcot. SSE is usually the first ride we hit when we start our vacation.
    Scallywag

August 2004 - POR
    May 2006 - POF (Honeymoon Trip)
    September 2006 - Royal Pacific (Universal Studios)
    April 2007 - POR
    July 2009 - CBR
    June 2013 - CBR
    June 2014 - POF

June 2016 - POLY
    June 2017 - AKL
    June 2018 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I love it too but I miss Jeremy Irons and the original ending. I hate the darn computers!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

It is still one of my favorites, but it seems...incomplete. They spend all this time talking about the history of communication, and they essentially END with the creation of the personal computer at the end of the 70's. I mean, do you know how much innovation there has been in worldwide communication since 1980? No mention of cell phones or the internet. THE INTERNET. C'mon. That HAS to be in there. Add some more stuff for the trip back down from the top of the ride, like they used to have.

I actually like the touch screens in the cars with the interactive feature. But they could shorten it to accommodate more scenes on the way back down.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruegge View Post
    I didn't think it was thrilling... but I was a lot younger then and just married. A lot of people here slammed the new version (I don't remember any of it from 25 years ago) So, I wasn't looking forward to it... Am now!!!
    Same with me - saw it on the honeymoon and thought it was just ok. But I came to love it once I understood the concept of Epcot.

And I really don't get all the slams it's getting. Nothing was taken out of it, the scenes were improved, animatronics are better, music is waaaayyyy better, the computer interaction at the end is fun for me AND the kids, and I like the soft touch that Dame Judi brings to it (James Bond meets History 101). But I don't claim to be smarter than an Imagineer - I prefer to just sit back and enjoy their creations. And SSE is just what the doctor ordered!
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    It is still one of my favorites, but it seems...incomplete. They spend all this time talking about the history of communication, and they essentially END with the creation of the personal computer at the end of the 70's. I mean, do you know how much innovation there has been in worldwide communication since 1980? No mention of cell phones or the internet. THE INTERNET. C'mon. That HAS to be in there. Add some more stuff for the trip back down from the top of the ride, like they used to have.

I actually like the touch screens in the cars with the interactive feature. But they could shorten it to accommodate more scenes on the way back down.
    The Jeremy Irons version was a LOT better than what's there now. There *were* scenes after the "peak" of the ride (on the way back down) of the Internet in use: the two international kids using video chat; the school kids using Internet technology and CAD engineering; the mom who just gave birth using computers and video technology to sing a lullaby to "big brother" at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I think Judi Dench does exceptional with the narration. I still love when you get to the top and the narrator says "...on this, our spaceship Earth." I still remember the first time I heard that said - it was mind-opening.
    I'm not sure which version you were listening to, but, as far as I can recall, the current Dench version doesn't have this quote. The Jeremy Irons version *did* - and the music peaked for your journey back down to the Global Neighborhood.

The Dench version makes me feel like I'm...*stupid*....or *old*...I guess. "Do you remember when you learned your ABC's?" No, Judi, I'm too freakin' old to remember that far back...

And, there's *nothing*....NO---THING...to *see* on the descent. A cartoon. In your ride vehicle. :/ It's *OK*....but....I REALLY liked the Cronkite version, but, Jeremy Irons' was the best.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhhh I miss the "on this, our spaceship earth"

Why they pulled it from the new narration I'll never know. They also lost quite a few scenes when they switched over to the interactive end. I get the reason for it but feel like they lobed off most of the 21st century with it.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    There *were* scenes after the "peak" of the ride (on the way back down) of the Internet in use: the two international kids using video chat; the school kids using Internet technology and CAD engineering; the mom who just gave birth using computers and video technology to sing a lullaby to "big brother" at home.
    For some reason (which I really can't remember) we didn't go on SSE on our first trip to Epcot, so we've only seen the current version. I wish we could have seen "the best" ... the screens are OK, but the above would have been cool.

Still, it is one of our family's favourites.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Spaceship Earth and Living w/ the Land are some of our favorite WDW rides.

I do miss the Walter Kronkite version. But I don't mind the Judi Dench and computers.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

The Jeremy Irons version was a LOT better than what's there now. There *were* scenes after the "peak" of the ride (on the way back down) of the Internet in use: the two international kids using video chat; the school kids using Internet technology and CAD engineering; the mom who just gave birth using computers and video technology to sing a lullaby to "big brother" at home.

I'm not sure which version you were listening to, but, as far as I can recall, the current Dench version doesn't have this quote. The Jeremy Irons version *did* - and the music peaked for your journey back down to the Global Neighborhood.

The Dench version makes me feel like I'm...*stupid*....or *old*...I guess. "Do you remember when you learned your ABC's?" No, Judi, I'm too freakin' old to remember that far back...

And, there's *nothing*....NO---THING...to *see* on the descent. A cartoon. In your ride vehicle. :/ It's *OK*....but....I REALLY liked the Cronkite version, but, Jeremy Irons' was the best.
    I agree 100% with you on this Jim.
    I miss those scenes on the descent as well!! Much more "now" than what is there currently. Hanging stars?

And the "...On this our Spaceship Earth." Under him was fantastic. With the music crescendo.
    I still like SSE but not near as much as the old version.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I am obsessed with this ride and had my husband ride it with me twice in February. It never gets old for me and it's a must do on every trip. Timeless.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I'm long overdue for a trip to Epcot. I haven't been there since the last revision of Spaceship Earth. It has always been one of my favorite attractions at Epcot since my first trip in 1985. We also usually ride it twice on every visit to the park.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land are my two favorite rides in Epcot and near the top of my list on overall attractions at WDW.

I ride it numerous times each trip and I'll still never forget the one time I napped in it from extreme exhaustion of the long days and heat. I tried to fight it tooth and nail and finally gave up.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

A post of funny things heard at the parks from a blog I read long ago....

Two older ladies upon leaving Epcot on the monorail were overheard saying ..."If they got rid of the big golf ball they'd have room for a another big ride!"
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

"Do you remember when you learned your ABC's?" No, Judi, I'm too freakin' old to remember that far back...
    Thank you!!! I have been saying this since the Judi Dench narration went in. The narration went from intelligent and informative to pandering to us as children.
    "Hi ho, Kermit the Frog here, and welcome to Muppet Vision 3D."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree !!

I love it too but I miss Jeremy Irons and the original ending.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy Irons' narration should have been left in. It is kind of sad what they did after the peak. Now it just really boring going down backwards staring at your screen. They really did mess it up, by removing the scenes. I mean throwing up some black curtains and small lights to cover up empty scenes really is a cheap way to "enhance" your ride on Spaceship Earth..

Still love going in and enjoying the cool trip after walking around the park mid-summer.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I still enjoy SSE for the nostalgia factor, but I do miss when they had more scenes on the way down. The interactive features take away from it, not add to it, IMO.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: