Quantcast Cali Grill or Jiko?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which would you suggest for our group (described in thread)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • California Grill

15 65.22%
  • Jiko

8 34.78%
  • Yachtsman

0 0%
  • Something else...please explain!

0 0%
    Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cali Grill or Jiko?

We are a group of 3 "adults" (26, 32, and mom) and I am trying to make our list of places to eat...almost at the 180 day mark! I am not a picky eater and will try anything but the other 2 are more picky (happy with a good steak). We are not fancy eaters at home but splurge at Disney (even though we have to have the waiter translate the menu sometimes!) and are on the deluxe dining plan (we love to eat so always go with this and still save money). So with that background...

I had planned on going to Yachtsman one night (we always do several signature dining meals) but now I'm wondering about trying either the Cali Grill or Jiko. Would you all suggest changing to one of these, and if so, which? Or should I add one but keep the Yachtsman, skipping something else since few are definites for us? These are all new and I'm just going by the menus and reviews so please advise
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Both California Grill and Jiko are excellent restaurants. I might prefer Jiko myself but since this is new for you, the view from California Grill would edge Jiko out.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We are doing both Jiko and Cali Grill this next trip; we haven't been to Jiko in a while but I remember it being really good last time. On the other hand we haven't had a trip where we didn't go to Cali except when it was closed for renovations. I would say choose Cali Grill you can't beat the view, also try to make your dinner time so you can watch the fireworks at MK from there.
    Recent:
    2006- Contemporary
    2007- WL
    2008- Poly (Engagement)
    2009- AK Jambo (Honeymoon)
    2010- BWV (First DVC Trip)
    2011- VWL
    2011- AK Jambo & Kidani
    2012- BWV/BCV
    2012- Disneyland Hotel (First Trip to DL)
    2013- BLT
    2013- BWV
    2014- AKL

Upcoming Trip- Feb 2015 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Jiko is my absolute favorite restaurant on property. Food is fantastic, and the atmosphere is very relaxed and laid back. But I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cali Grill or Jiko?

Since you have a couple picky eaters, I would suggest Cali Grill even though Jiko is great too, it might be alittle to "adventurous" for them.

Enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted Cali Grill, but Narcoossee's is our favorite. Both have fantastic views of the fireworks AND amazing food/service.

We are doing Cali Grill, Narcoossee's, and Yachtsman on our next trip, along with Flying Fish and Bluezoo.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to most of the Signature Dining places and Yachtsman's Grill was one of the most disappointing. The atmosphere was light, bright, nothing special and the food did not live up to expectation for a quality steakhouse (to me). They made several ingredient substitutions that let us down. Our server was a nightmare. Of course, other people love it, so that's just a matter of trusting your own instincts and different individual experiences. If you have picky eaters who just want a good steak, it is a safe bet. Shula's at the Dolphin is far better than Yachtsman, but also pricier.

Though, you can find a good steak at all of the Signatures but you don't have a selection of cuts, as you do at steakhouses. It's usually filet mignon. California Grill is my favorite of the Signatures for the atmosphere, great views, and lots of good menu choices ranging from adventurous to tame. You can ask them to do the basics if the something on the menu seems too elaborate and they will tone it down (they're good about this at all or most of the Signature dining venues- special orders are accepted).

Jiko is also very good, though you will probably find a more diverse flavor palate running through most every dish on the menu and it's probably not the best choice for picky eaters.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We really love Jiko. It got my vote. It is a wonderfully relaxing meal and the food was awesome
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I've dined twice at Jiko; both good experiences, but not exceptional. My last trip to CG (January 2014) was outstanding. We opted for a sushi appetizer, which was the best sushi I've ever had. The entrees were also excellent.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: