Quantcast Families of autistic kids sue Disney parks - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Terra, I completely understand your point of view, trust me. I know very well that every child with Autism has different struggles and is affected differently. When we lived near Disneyland, I used to go alone to "escape" as much as possible.

I will say, don't say "never" when it comes to your child. It is truly amazing how far our kids can come with therapy over the years. My youngest is now 8 and he is NOTHING like he was at 2, 3, 4, 5, and even 6. He has auditory processing disorder, expressive language impairments, and sensory processing disorder. I totally get the lack of cause and effect understanding, reasoning, logic, etc. The young ages are VERY trying. Things do often get better. We never even got to WDW as a family until our youngest was almost 5 because he had a crippling fear of airplanes. They are his favorite thing now. If someone had told me five years ago that my son would eventually love flying, I would have laughed in their face. His anxiety attacks at the mere sight of a plane were nothing to sneeze at.

I guess all this is to say we never can fully understand other's experiences, and I think there could be a better way to implement the DAS.

Perhaps rather than allowing this suit to go forward, Disney will think about changes that they can make to accommodate different needs.
    I tried to "like" your post! And agree.

Yes, we use Disney as an escape. It's so hard to explain to people that he can really get that sensory seeking side of him fulfilled there, yet also becoming completely overwhelmed there if not done "just so".
    Thank goodness, parents like you understand because you've been there, done that!

To be honest, in Disney's defense, they are never going to please everyone. I may not care for the new way, but we do it. Because it is what it is. I don't really blame Disney at all. It's just life as we know it.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that Disneyland Paris has a system whereby they do provide immediate access, but at the same time note a time when your pass is "next valid", based on the current standby wait time. For example, a ride has a 60 min wait time. You show up at 1 pm. You are let on immediately, but the CM who let's you on writes/stamps 2:00 pm on the pass. That is the next time you can approach a ride for immediate access. I think that would be a near perfect solution here.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I read that Disneyland Paris has a system whereby they do provide immediate access, but at the same time note a time when your pass is "next valid", based on the current standby wait time. For example, a ride has a 60 min wait time. You show up at 1 pm. You are let on immediately, but the CM who let's you on writes/stamps 2:00 pm on the pass. That is the next time you can approach a ride for immediate access. I think that would be a near perfect solution here.
    Hmmm, now that might be good! How interesting.
    You could do that in conjunction with the 3 FP+ and it would be better!

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Our experiences with the DAS have been okay for us. My son is high functioning and has sensory issues. We enjoyed the benefits from the GAC and it certainly did make trips much more enjoyable. The DAS is a little more limiting, but it is still helpful. We use FP (and now FP+) and are able to do what he wants in the order he "needs", if that makes sense.

I think the lawsuit is absurd, especially the part about the photo. That's one way to ensure that the proper person is using the card.

I agree with Natalie, if DW made him multiple meltdowns, we wouldn't go. Autistic meltdowns are more difficult to handle as he gets older simply because he's taller than I am and weighs more. When he throws his arms around or something similar, he can really hurt someone. Thankfully, we've not had to deal with one in a long time.

I explained to him that we were lucky to have the old system and now need to adjust to the new. Thankfully he understands that. I also understand that there are many children that can't understand that. Believe me, just a few years ago he wouldn't have understood it either. If that was still the case, and I thought it would be difficult for him to comprehend while we were there, we'd end up putting off a trip.

I'm hoping that Disney will review the policy they've put into place and try and modify it for those that truly need it.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

As a former special education teacher, I have read this thread and other articles about the new DAS program with interest. But I will say this (and I truly mean no disrespect).... with the level of special needs described here and in the lawsuit, I'm wondering why in the world parents of children with the degree of sensory issues they seem to have, would bring their children to Disney World or Land in the first place? I understand families wanting to experience this most magical place but many of my former students would "meltdown" simply because the over-stimulation of crowds/lights/darkness/etc. would be too much for them to handle - whether at Disney World or a shopping mall.

Disney is a private entity. It is not a public park/school or hospital. You have a choice to attend or not. And you, as a parent of a special needs child, need to decide if that environment is appropriate. I've counseled many parents (albeit years ago) on appropriate after-school outings and family vacation ideas. I understand wanting to please everyone in the family but we are all a quirky, diverse bunch with a plethora of individual needs, wants and abilities. Sometimes, theme parks (unless you rent them out for only you to attend) are not an option.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a parents perspective we only think that it would be nice to allow our children the experience that all other children are able to get. That is all we want. As I said earlier, I am not okay with the lawsuit, but I know that I want my child to have life experiences also. We can't keep our children locked up at home, because this does not serve them well either. They have to live life too. ADA does require that accommodations be made for those with disabilities to be accommodated so that they are given the same experience as a person without a disability, whether public or private.
    Ashley
    Art of Animation- Nov/Dec 2015
    Grand Floridan- September 2014
    Bay Lake Tower- June 2013
    Treehouse Villas- April 2012
    Grand Californian- August 2011
    Animal Kingdom Villas- December 2010
    Animal Kingdom Villas- May 2010
    Bay Lake Tower- December 2009
    All Star Movies- March 2009
    +6 more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dvcmember83 View Post
    Coming from a parents perspective we only think that it would be nice to allow our children the experience that all other children are able to get. That is all we want. As I said earlier, I am not okay with the lawsuit, but I know that I want my child to have life experiences also. We can't keep our children locked up at home, because this does not serve them well either. They have to live life too. ADA does require that accommodations be made for those with disabilities to be accommodated so that they are given the same experience as a person without a disability, whether public or private.
    Yes to this. That would be my response as well.

As a special education teacher you should know that there are triggers. They can go along just fine. And when the input is from themselves [or something they feel they can control] then it's generally okay. If it's something outside of their control, it can mean a breakdown. At least this is what I experience with my son.

I'm surprised that you would discourage certain settings. When taught at my son's special needs school that he went too from ages 2-5, we purposely took the children on field trips to places that may be over stimulating or uncomfortable. But it was kind of for reasons that Brernat said and Ashley. To #1 give them the same opportunity as "normal" functioning adults. And #2, to begin teaching coping skills.

Yes, I do know what I'm in for when I take him, but we still do make the choice, because there are times that the times of joy for him there outweigh the toughness that I may have to put into it for him. I'm okay with that.

He also has a fabulous ESE teacher who is specifically trained and has a therapy dog, runs one the best ASD unit in our county. She is wonderful for pushing them and letting them experience life at the same time. They go to Legoland, petting zoos, the aquarium, all places that can very stimulating. Even when there are meltdowns, what my son remembers are the smiles and laughter. I LOVE that!

Post Thanks / Like

I've counseled many parents (albeit years ago) on appropriate after-school outings and family vacation ideas. I understand wanting to please everyone in the family but we are all a quirky, diverse bunch with a plethora of individual needs, wants and abilities. Sometimes, theme parks (unless you rent them out for only you to attend) are not an option.
    I'm not sure this is a very accomodating statement. WDW is "appropriate" for my son and, I would assume, the vast majority of others with disabilities. It also happens to be his favorite place on earth to go. If the enviornment becomes too much for him, we leave or take a break somewhere. My son is almost 15 and he needs to be able to recognize when an environment is becoming too much for him and remove himself. I won't be there to guide him forever.

I applaud Disney for providing the service so everyone can enjoy the park, whether others deem it appropriate or not.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    I'm not sure this is a very accomodating statement. WDW is "appropriate" for my son and, I would assume, the vast majority of others with disabilities. It also happens to be his favorite place on earth to go. If the enviornment becomes too much for him, we leave or take a break somewhere. My son is almost 15 and he needs to be able to recognize when an environment is becoming too much for him and remove himself. I won't be there to guide him forever.

I applaud Disney for providing the service so everyone can enjoy the park, whether others deem it appropriate or not.
    *Like*

And agree!

Post Thanks / Like

I follow a mom on Facebook that has a blog about her daughter with Autism. She has been asked to do many speaking engagements & other things based on her experience with Autism.
    She was contacted by Disney after they implemented this new pass, to get her input. She gave them a great amount of info, and said she was very pleased with how they took her info, and seemed genuinely interested in making it a great experience for everyone.
    My oldest is going to be 17, and he had Aspergers. I can also say, it does get better. I never imagined he would have a social life, friends, and an amazing sense of humor back when he was younger. We have never used the pass for him because we always had ways to keep him distracted & busy in line. Plus if the wait is more then 30-40 min we didn't do it.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

My son is also on the spectrum, but is very high functioning. Most of our friends who spend casual time with him don't even know until the topic come up in conversation.

When I first starting taking him to Disneyland I never even thought about using the GAC, and actually never used it when it was available. I had the though that he should get used to waiting, and understand that other people want to ride as well, so there will be a wait. Almost 5 now, he has done very well, and understands he needs to wait and sometimes rides are closed.

However, I know the other side very well, and that each child is different. As part of my work I went to a protest outside of Disneyland when the GAC was going away. Almost every person there had one or more children with autism. I was able to listen to a lot of first hand accounts of how they used the old service, and how the new one doesn't work for them.

It was sad to hear several families, many with children who were on, and not on the spectrum, say they can't, or won't go to the parks anymore because they can't take the child with autism. Several of the brother and sisters of their family members were their protesting on behalf of their siblings.

For Disney I can understand that it is hard to have any one policy that will work for everyone. There is always someone who will abuse the system. I see that at City Hall when the line on problem days gets very long. Many times on occasions that are out of Disney's control. I've also been at the parks with people in our large group who would work any angle they could to get something extra from Disney. Those are the ones who make things harder for those who do need special assistance.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this come up again in the news recently...
    I would imagine that this happens from time to time. Particularly with this sort of case...

Post Thanks / Like

I think it came up in the news because it took this long for the suit to go before a judge. The judge (Federal) ruled in Disney's favor.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I think it came up in the news because it took this long for the suit to go before a judge. The judge (Federal) ruled in Disney's favor.
    Why, that's not bad at all. It only took two years to come to court... where is the sarcasm button when you need it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass T-bone View Post
    Why, that's not bad at all. It only took two years to come to court... where is the sarcasm button when you need it?
    That's our legal system for you.

However, I do believe this first went to state courts before federal courts.

In any case, the lawsuit was found to have no merit.

The ADA requires equal access, not better access. I have heard that "they" plan to challenge the ADA next, to get language in there regarding accommodating Autism, specifically. Not sure they will get anywhere with that either.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

That's our legal system for you.

However, I do believe this first went to state courts before federal courts.

In any case, the lawsuit was found to have no merit.

The ADA requires equal access, not better access. I have heard that "they" plan to challenge the ADA next, to get language in there regarding accommodating Autism, specifically. Not sure they will get anywhere with that either.
    I'm sure you're right... Autism has such broad symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read through this discussion and wanted to say Thank You for the insight. It seems as though the current system, while not perfect, is helpful. It may need some tweaking but overall is generally helpful. The good (rule followers) have to suffer for the bad (system abusers).

I truly believe that Disney is trying to do the right things. It's sad that some people feel the need to abuse the policies Disney puts in place to accommodate guests who have a true NEED.

The sad thing is that there will always be people in this world who are looking for something for nothing... a way to benefit from the general mass of the public. And the general mass of the public are the ones who suffer.

19. Thanks BrerGnat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j2k View Post
    I just read through this discussion and wanted to say Thank You for the insight. It seems as though the current system, while not perfect, is helpful. It may need some tweaking but overall is generally helpful. The good (rule followers) have to suffer for the bad (system abusers).

I truly believe that Disney is trying to do the right things. It's sad that some people feel the need to abuse the policies Disney puts in place to accommodate guests who have a true NEED.

The sad thing is that there will always be people in this world who are looking for something for nothing... a way to benefit from the general mass of the public. And the general mass of the public are the ones who suffer.
    Very true. There are always bad apples, and sometimes, those bad apples make things worse for their loved ones with challenges. I have seen, first hand, parents throwing absolute fits "on behalf" of their autistic children, while the children stood calmly by. I often think to myself, "that child's biggest problem is probably his parents." A lady recently at Disneyland was going absolutely BONKERS to the security guard who pulled her (grown) autistic son to be scanned at the metal detector. The young man was calmly removing items from his pockets and taking off his jacket and the mother was screaming "Why do you keep making my autistic son go through the metal detector. He's AUTISTIC!!! Now his entire day is RUINED and he is going to be stressed out ALL DAY!" And honestly, the guy was so calm and just going through the motions. I mean, I could sympathize if he was having a meltdown or something, but he was fine. It is really important to prepare children with disabilities for the real world, and our world requires security scans at a lot of places. She is doing her son NO favors by acting like a lunatic. I felt very badly for him.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

My nephew, who is 17, is autistic. He loves Disney and every year my he goes for several days. He wears the silencing headphones and they work very well. His dad says that he never has a problem, Disney goes out of their way to make his visit a smooth one.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

22. Thanks BrerGnat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My son has autism and the GAC was a very nice way for him to enjoy the attractions he enjoyed without us having to go through the difficulties that he has in long lines. Last Sept we used the new system. I was a little concerned about how it would work. I am here to attest we had no issues at all. He was still able to ride the attractions he enjoys, and we did not have to feel like we were taking advantage of the system. I thought it was quite fair and it did not hamper our vacation in any way. I'm grateful Disney was able to find a fix that worked for our family as well as the fellow guests waiting for full line duration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: