Quantcast Dapper Days?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Dapper Days?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dapper Days?

Tell me about Dapper Days. I have seen pictures, and I get that people dress in retro-vintage fashion.

Are they official days or are they just something that people have organized on their own?

What do you know about Dapper Days?
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know any info to tell you about them - but I just had to tell you how cool it was. We were in the parks during the dapper day in Sept 2013 and figured something had to be going on since there were so many people (mostly 20 somethings) dressed up. We finally stopped some girls to ask them.

The outfits were adorable, they all looked so good!
    1984 - Contemporary
    1989, 91, 92 - Caribbean Beach
    1992, 94, 95 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Caribbean Beach
    2007, 08, 10 - Pop Century
    2012 - AOA
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2014 - Pop Century
    2015 - POR / Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

So I have investigated on "The Googles"...and it looks like it is an unofficial day(s) that are coordinated outside of Official Disney.

Looks super cool, they have a facebook page and organize Dapper Days at several parks. It appears that anyone can participate.

Fun.
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!
    It would be my pleasure to help!

Dapper Day is not organized by Disney, but is well endorsed by three parks (California, Florida, Paris).

It qualifies as a "convention" meaning discounted Disney hotels, and discounted park tickets.
    They also had multiple ballrooms set aside for events during the "convention"

At the Disneyland 2014 Spring Fling we had:
    • a styling suite for hair/makeup
    • a boutique selling vintage clothing, purses, hats, and shoes.
    • artists drawing portraits (Quadstriker and I were so disappointed we could not get an appointment. They sold out and had a standby all day for cancellations. And nobody cancelled. I'll try and find a photo to post)
    • lectures about being dapper (We skipped this, plus it was sold out

One of my favorite things were the in park meetups. They had us gather for the Mark Twain Mixer from 2-4pm where it was boat after boat filled with people dressed to the nines. All of them waving to the people in the park and telling them to have a Dapper Day.

Later that night was the Dapper Derby at the carousel - it was similar to the Mixer. Where we "took over" the ride for a short while.

For me, it was a very magical day in the park. People looked gorgeous, and were sporting looks from every decade. Children were involved, people were DisneyBounding (Which I need to start doing more often) and having a fantastic day posing for photos and being friendly.

Celebrities even joined in (Dita von Teese) and the media was everywhere. As you are going through the park, they were snapping photos left and right, or asking you to "turn this way". It was neat!

Later that night, they had a special event at DownTown Disney. For a small cover, you had access to the top floor of the Jazz Kitchen where a live swing band played all night. Everyone was still dressed up, and it was fun watching everyone swing.

Quadstriker are already planning on attending the Fall Soiree in Disneyland (September 12th) - If anyone wants to join us, we can plan!

Anyone can participate, and you don't have to register for anything. Show up looking Dapper, or go to the park to enjoy the show.

Let me know if yo have any questions!

~ Trista ~
    Oct 26 - Nov 9 2011 - STS, OKW, BWV, STS
    **Married 10/30 Wedding Pavilion, Dance Hall Reception, UK Lower Lochside Dessert Party **

Planning a Disney Wedding? I know the ropes and am more than happy to answer any questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etibbetts View Post
    The outfits were adorable, they all looked so good!
    I found it on facebook - People were posting photos and I told myself "I am doing this in the Spring"

One of the best days in the park we've ever had!

~ Trista ~
    Oct 26 - Nov 9 2011 - STS, OKW, BWV, STS
    **Married 10/30 Wedding Pavilion, Dance Hall Reception, UK Lower Lochside Dessert Party **

Planning a Disney Wedding? I know the ropes and am more than happy to answer any questions!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to emphasize how much fun this was, what a good deal you can get for on-property hotels and tickets, and what an incredible xperience this was.

I wouldn't recommend it for families with children. This is more of a "big kids" event.

If you enjoy the company of other people who enjoy Disney and want to be part of a shared experience - GO.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starryice View Post
    people were DisneyBounding (Which I need to start doing more often)
    Funny you mention this. I've just heard of this recently, and find it very intriguing. Of course, I'm not fashionable in any sense of the word, but it would be fun to try. The possibilities are endless! I bet you could come up with some adorable outfits!
    Last edited by Melanie; 03-10-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

starryice and Quadstriker, you guys looked amazing! Hope you don't mind I'm sharing one of your pics.

On another note, I hope I don't get flamed, but seeing the pics from yesterday's WDW Dapper Day, everything looked a little more sophisticated at Disneyland's day last month. More professional, if you will. I don't know if it's the California thing, being close proximity to Hollywood, etc., but I could definitely tell a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it for families with children. This is more of a "big kids" event.
    What makes it not family friendly?

In the pictures on the website, I saw some families dressed....

just curious...
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    What makes it not family friendly?

In the pictures on the website, I saw some families dressed....

just curious...
    Not "family friendly" isn't quite the description I was going for.

Not enjoyable for children is more the look.

When I was growing up as a young Quadstriker, the idea of dressing up in fancy uncomfortable clothes and walking around all day going to meetups to take pictures and listening to adults gush over each other's outfits did not appeal to me. But if that's what tickles your child's fancy, then sally forth.

Of course, if you just wanted to dress everyone up but have the typical Disney day with your family and ignore all the events since they won't appeal to the majority of children that's your prerogative as well and nobody can give guff for that - but I think the vast majority of attendees of this type of event see the bulk of the value coming from the community experience and social interaction.

The amount of children I saw dressed up by their families was relatively low and those I did see didn't seem to be exactly jumping up and down for joy. However, the 13 and up crowd seemed to embrace it well enough.

Now the after-parties in Downtown Disney... that's strictly adult land for obvious reasons.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    Not "family friendly" isn't quite the description I was going for.

Not enjoyable for children is more the look.

When I was growing up as a young Quadstriker, the idea of dressing up in fancy uncomfortable clothes and walking around all day going to meetups to take pictures and listening to adults gush over each other's outfits did not appeal to me. But if that's what tickles your child's fancy, then sally forth.

Of course, if you just wanted to dress everyone up but have the typical Disney day with your family and ignore all the events since they won't appeal to the majority of children that's your prerogative as well and nobody can give guff for that - but I think the vast majority of attendees of this type of event see the bulk of the value coming from the community experience and social interaction.

The amount of children I saw dressed up by their families was low and those I did see didn't seem to be exactly jumping up and down for joy. The 13 and up crowd seemed to embrace it well enough.

Now the after-parties in Downtown Disney... that's strictly adult land for obvious reasons.
    Gotcha!
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    starryice and Quadstriker, you guys looked amazing! Hope you don't mind I'm sharing one of your pics.

On another note, I hope I don't get flamed, but seeing the pics from yesterday's WDW Dapper Day, everything looked a little more sophisticated at Disneyland's day last month. More professional, if you will. I don't know if it's the California thing, being close proximity to Hollywood, etc., but I could definitely tell a difference.
    No flaming, but I am sure it has to do with the proximity to Hollywood. I'm sure many were actors or wannabe actors and see this like an opportunity to gain exposure. You aren't going to get as many like that in Florida.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    No flaming, but I am sure it has to do with the proximity to Hollywood. I'm sure many were actors or wannabe actors and see this like an opportunity to gain exposure. You aren't going to get as many like that in Florida.
    I don't think that has that much to do with it. Realistically, it's that most attendees are locals, and have been doing this for a few years now, and it's a pretty well established "thing" there. People often dress that way at DL just for the heck of it, not during the official Dapper Days. Historically, Friday nights were "date nights at Disneyland" (talking in the 60's here) and often, you will see people dressed up like this on random Fridays at the DLR.

My feeling is at Disneyland, there is a bit more of a "one upping" thing going on. Maybe not so overtly, but many of the same people return year after year, and so probably try a bit harder every year to outdo themselves or others compared to previous years. To my recollection, this is a recent thing at WDW, is it not? Give it a few years and you'll see more elaborate and professional looking outfits as time goes by.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I had honestly never heard of this before.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best YouTube. VIdeos are the ones by justinscarred on the livefastdiepoor channel. He has great dl info. Some people wont like his sense of humor, but he does a nice job at what he does.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

How fun! I've never heard of this. Love the picture, you guys look amazing! What is DisneyBounding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    How fun! I've never heard of this. Love the picture, you guys look amazing! What is DisneyBounding?
    Disney bounding is dressing in a way "inspired" by a Disney character or movie, but not using costumes, just regular clothes. If you do a Google image search, you will see some good examples.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

There is a great website/blog about DisneyBounding. A quick Google search will get you there.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing worth pointing out is that in the photo above every single person you can see in that picture wrapped around the lake is dressed up and in line for the Mark Twain. That line? It's a dapper line.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: