Quantcast Contemporary vs Grand Floridian

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Contemporary vs Grand Floridian

We currently have reservations for next year at the Poly, but with the pace of construction picking up, we will most likely be changing the location. We really love the MK area, so now must choose between the Contemporary and the GF. They are all so very different. I feel like the GF is too formal for our tastes. While the Contemporary seems like some of the hotel chains we have stayed at in NY and also has that business like feel. Your thoughts?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from the GF and it NOT too formal. I haven't stayed at CR in 15 years so it's hard to compare but GF is very much the same as BC,YC and BW in my opinion. It has a grand look to it with the beautiful lobby and exterior but the rooms are similar as is the service. It's nice to be one stop away from the MK on the monorail and the boat back from the MK is a plus because its quick. They have a nice 24 hour counter service as well. Two nice pools are great. And as with all monorail resorts, the dining options at each resort as well as the MK are easy access. It's a very welcoming and relaxing atmosphere compared to CR more modern, noisy, sharp edged appearance.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

We loved our stay at the Contemporary, but we love more contemporary furnishings over Victorian.
    Additionally, the biggest plus was the ability to WALK to the MK and not have to wait on the monorail during very busy times.
    We chose a Garden Wing room instead of a tower room. You do not have the MK view, but it was more quiet. And, with a first floor room, there was a small patio and a nice open lawn so we did not feel so closed in.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at GF in November and I didn't find it formal at all. Just a beautiful resort. Saw a few wedding parties. Everyone was so wonderful. We were given an awful view (staircase of another bldg) when checking in and was able to get moved overlooking the water.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on your tastes. The decor at the Grand Floridian is not my cup of tea, but I love the modern theming of the Contemporary. I also like that you can walk to and from the Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary, if you want (although the boat service from the Grand Californian to the Magic Kingdom is a nice perk too).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought the Grand Floridian was too formal but we stayed there in September and I loved it. We did not stay in the main building. I thought once you left the main building , it felt much more relaxed. The grounds were beautiful. It is like a enclosed garden world once you enter the grounds and the views are beautiful. We really like the quick service. The pools to me were a little ordinary but we often stay at Beach or Yacht so it might not be a fair comparison. We took the boat to MK and it was very nice.

At Comtemporary, we stayed in the Tower with a lake view. We were on a higher floor so the views were beautiful. I really liked the contemporary styling withe the exception of the large square sink. I normally like to put toiletries on the counter and the sink itself is a bit like the counter. For me though I love the rooms, I find the lobby/public spaces to be a little too modern, just not a comfortable place to sit and hang out. As Beth mentioned a huge bonus is being able to walk to MK.

Feel wise I don't think either have the more casual comfortable feel of the Polynesian. If you are willing to move off the monorail, you might want to consider Wilderness Lodge.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    (although the boat service from the Grand Californian to the Magic Kingdom is a nice perk too).
    That would be one heck of a boat ride
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I had some friends that stayed at the Contemporary in August, they hated it! If it were me, I'd choose the Grand Floridian. It is formal, but I don't find it stuffy, it takes me to a different time I just love that feeling. I really want to stay here one day!

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    That would be one heck of a boat ride
    Whoops! Lol!! Obviously (I hope) I meant the Grand Floridian.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    Feel wise I don't think either have the more casual comfortable feel of the Polynesian. If you are willing to move off the monorail, you might want to consider Wilderness Lodge.
    I think this is a great suggestion, especially if you're traveling prior to April while the monorail will have limited hours. An added bonus is with the lesser price you may be able to do Concierge level.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Tower with MK view and it was an awesome view at night. Still remember the castle changing colors and all of the activity on the lake and around the Monorail track. We did spend a lot of time in the parks and not that much at the resort so I guess we really appreciated the 10 minute walk to MK at night and the Epcot Monorail. We have done the GF as well and are returning for another stay. If you are going to ever return to WDW, you can always stay at the hotel you passed on this time.
    Keneva

---------------------------------
    WDW
    Aug 2022 CR Wing
    Aug 2014 BC & GF Club
    Aug 2012 Swan & Grand Floridian Club
    Aug 2010 Poly LVC
    Aug 2008 Poly LVC
    Aug 2006 CR Club
    Jan 2001 Poly LVC (Honeymoon)
    Oct 1995 Off-site

DL
    1967-69 Several Visits (Green Lantern Motel?)

Post Thanks / Like

Never stayed at either. We are DVC at Bay Lake.
    But I have been to both. At GF, I felt like a bum just walking into the lobby. CR has a bit of a more businessier feel to it.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wilderness Lodge

You might want to consider the Wilderness Lodge. Beautiful and informal and the boat ride over to the MK is part of the fun.

You may find the cost difference for an entire stay at WL vs one of the monorail resorts to be a real temptation also.

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

We really loved staying at the CR, the walk over to the MK is a huge perk! We've stayed at the Poly twice, we do love it there, and WL twice. The CR is good choice, pools are good, marina, choice of dining options, and monorail. It's a well balanced resort, and an original.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: