Quantcast Poly - Nov 16 - 21st - Day 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poly - Nov 16 - 21st - Day 1

Who - Me, OCD planner!
    DH - converted hubby of 25 years
    DD - Celebrating 18th birthday (next week)
    DS - Mini me (15) who has the same Disney passion that I do.

Where - Poly
    How - JetBlue

A bit of history, I went to Disney when I was 7, a year after it opened in Florida. I was hooked! I think a lot had to do with the family time, my dad on rides, never thought I would experience that!

Met DH, didn't like it when he went with his family (Not enough "E" tickets). He dutifully listen to me and we went on our honeymoon 25 years ago (Poly was 179 a night and we thought that was expensive!)

Fast forward, 2 kids that we starting bringing every other year in Nov since they were 5 and 7 (we snuck some adult trips in there also! and a March trip which we will never do again). We always found crowds were light (Jersey week, Veterans day but most of all the full week before Thanksgiving), and dry 70s. I'm saying all this so you can see that this trip is different from what we have experienced so many times. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just comparing! I still love Disney!

Onto the report!

We had an early pick up at 5:30 and I actually slept the night before! We had brought our sweet bulldog to my sister in laws the night before. This was the hardest part of the trip. We have had her about 1 1/2 years (she is 3) and in June she spent a week in the animal hospital and came very close to dying. She turned it around but it was so unexpected that we were a bit nervous about leaving her.

We had paid for extra legroom on JetBlue and enjoyed the pre-boarding. My t.v. sound wasn't the greatest but my son shared with me and it was a smooth flight. I love JetBlue!

My kids know me well enough and know I get super excited when we take that little tram across the terminal and I see palm trees up close! They just laugh at me, I'm like a little kid!

We get to ME and didn't realize they could scan our Magic Bands, got them out and off we go. This is when we realized our typical November crowd level (low) was not existent this day. We have always walked right up to the bus, today was about a 20 - 30 min wait. A full bus and we are off to the Poly!

It was pouring when we arrived, but no matter we are at our favorite place! That lobby smell! My son and I give each other the knowing look (we both love the smell, makes us feel warm and fuzzy!).

I had checked in on-line and did not know if it had gone through because I got an error message at the end. Karen at MJ (thanks Karen, your awesome!) had put in my request (Balcony, Tokelau) and the person handling the lines said it had gone through. The check in line was a bit long and they had a gentlemen directing us rather then going to the on-line versus regular check in ourselves.

A very pleasant cast member checked us in, yay, Tokelau, 3rd floor!! Although I had linked my credit card and pin number during the online check in, it did not go through. It took a bit longer but it was fine. We got anniversary buttons and a birthday button for my daughter. We had never done this before and unsure if they will actually be worn!

Our room was ready and it was only sprinkling at this point. Onto the room to change, then Captain Cooks. This was PACKED! I have never in all my years not been able to get a seat. We brought the food back to the room and had a good meal (it was about 12:30 at this point, we landed at 11).

We did not wear our buttons (DH and DD do not like attention, but that will change!). Main Street was fantastic in its Christmas decorations, I could be happy just walking up and down the street all day! We had fast passes to Splash, Thunder and Space. I had made the reservations before they changed it to grouping. We forgo Splash and headed to New Fantasyland, where apparently everyone else was! It was shoulder to shoulder. I can't say I was overwhelmed, I was actually a bit underwhelmed but I think when the Dwarf coaster is opened I will feel differently. 40 minute wait for Under the Sea, but it ended up being at least an hour, for some reason the line just stopped.

None of us had any desire to go on it again, I know it is made for young kids, but we enjoy rides like Pooh, Peter Pan etc, I just thought it would be more.

We had a great ride on Thunder, Space and of course good old CoP and People Mover! I think we also made it on HM and headed back to the room.

We took a rest, unpacked etc and made it to our 8:15 ressies at Ohanas.

The waiting area was packed and the young man at the podium told us it would be about a 20 minute wait. I was okay with this, but there was a person berrating the cast member before us because they had ADRs and had to wait. We were seated in about 5 minutes.

Food was great as usual, but have to be honest, I didn't eat any meat! I was too full and wanted to have room for dessert! The rest of the family thought the chicken was the best.

Fireworks started and we were all happy and content and back to the room to sleep since we had been up since 4:30 am!

Overall a great first day. The weather was fine, we got very lucky. We had watched all of the forecasts before we left and all said rain or chance of rain everyday. However, I followed Chris, aka STRMCHSR and he was not forecasting the rain others were and he on target! We never needed the ponchos!

Poly - I walked around a bit and saw the construction, although our longhouse was close to it we had no issue. I can understand if you are in Tahiti or Hawaii lagoon view then I would not be happy, I'm not sure if they are even booking these rooms but the garden views were not affected.

I think the huts being built on the water are a cool idea. I have never been interested in DVC because the Poly did not have it. I think if I rented one I would prefer a longhouse, I like the locations. I have stayed in Tahiti with MK view and the boats are loud, I think being on the water is a nice idea but not sure about the noise level. Probably fine for people who do not rest during the day, but I'm getting old and need that afternoon break!

I like the Poly for several reasons, but one benefit with 2 teenagers is the daybed. My son slept in that with no problem (he is 5'9) and this means we didn't feel on top of each other.

Crowds - Much heavier then past experiences, a lot like when we went in March. Again, I'm not complaing, I'm just comparing! Walking down Main Street was very tight! I do believe that pouring in the a.m. kept the crowds out (I had looked at wait times when we were in airport and they were low). They came out in droves when the rain stopped.

Magic Bands - I did love that you didn't have to go to a ride to get the fp+. However, we very rarely had to get FP in prior visits so never was really an issue for us. FP lines were never long for us.

New Fantasyland - It was well done, but will hold my opinion until the dwarf coaster is done!

Tomorrow - AK, Studios and Osbourne lights! I promise it won't be as long as this report!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    offsite- - Disneyland 2013
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988
    off site 1983, 1980, 1978, 1971

Go Pats!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the Poly!! You're making we wish for another stay there!

You're off to a flying start - seems like everything fell into place for the day!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start. Captain Cook's so crowded, though? That is unusual. Still good, though.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a long day but a great start to your vacation.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Another great report. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to hear how well your trip has started - nice setup as to what your past vacations have been, and the comparisons so far. Yay that the rain let up and you were able to enjoy MK.

Wait, did I really read that you did not eat any meat at Ohana?! Hehe

Thanks for sharing - on to the next installment!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start to your vacation. Love Love Love the Poly!!!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

A great 1st day thanks for the report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post

Wait, did I really read that you did not eat any meat at Ohana?! Hehe

I know, what non-vegatarian says that!!? Sweet tooth always over rules meat for me!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    offsite- - Disneyland 2013
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004