Quantcast Frozen - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frozen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Considering how well the film is performing, I think they know their target audiences around the world (well, not always, there was that major John Carter fail, but I think people were fired over that one).
    It's so hard to know what kind of impact the marketing has had on the film's performance. The word-of-mouth has been spectacular, and that generally goes a long way for moviegoers.

I'm a little surprised about how many people on these boards liked Olaf. I admit I laughed at him at times, but I still think he detracted from the movie overall.

In my opinion -- and only my opinion -- Olaf was designed for the sole purpose of pandering to younger audiences. I understand the need for comic relief in this kind of movie. This was difficult subject matter, particularly when Queen Elsa goes into exile. "Frozen" was rated PG for a reason.

But the best Disney movies have written funny, memorable and charming sidekicks that had cross-generational appeal. Sebastian, Lumiere and the duo of Timon and Pumbaa rank among the most beloved Disney characters of the past three decades. Like Olaf, they were created for comic relief. I just think the writers worked a little harder on them, instead of settling for cheap, easy laughs.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    It's so hard to know what kind of impact the marketing has had on the film's performance. The word-of-mouth has been spectacular, and that generally goes a long way for moviegoers.

I'm a little surprised about how many people on these boards liked Olaf. I admit I laughed at him at times, but I still think he detracted from the movie overall.

In my opinion -- and only my opinion -- Olaf was designed for the sole purpose of pandering to younger audiences. I understand the need for comic relief in this kind of movie. This was difficult subject matter, particularly when Queen Elsa goes into exile. "Frozen" was rated PG for a reason.

But the best Disney movies have written funny, memorable and charming sidekicks that had cross-generational appeal. Sebastian, Lumiere and the duo of Timon and Pumbaa rank among the most beloved Disney characters of the past three decades. Like Olaf, they were created for comic relief. I just think the writers worked a little harder on them, instead of settling for cheap, easy laughs.
    Interesting opinion. See, I really disliked Timon and Pumbaa. Their schtick was mostly fart jokes and gross out humor, which seems kind of tacky to me.

As to pandering to young audiences, that is exactly the point of these characters, Olaf especially. My boys are 7 and 9. Honestly, without that snowman, they would have had NO interest in this movie. They have never seen the majority of the Disney Classic princess centered films because they just have no interest in them. This one interested them due to the "silly snowman" in the commercials. And I'm really glad it worked!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Interesting opinion. See, I really disliked Timon and Pumbaa. Their schtick was mostly fart jokes and gross out humor, which seems kind of tacky to me.
    Yeah, I probably should have omitted Timon and Pumbaa to make that point. Honestly, I think "The Lion King" is probably the most overrated movie from that period. Give me "The Little Mermaid" or "Beauty and the Beast" any day.

But that's an entirely different conversation.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

As to pandering to young audiences, that is exactly the point of these characters, Olaf especially. My boys are 7 and 9. Honestly, without that snowman, they would have had NO interest in this movie. They have never seen the majority of the Disney Classic princess centered films because they just have no interest in them. This one interested them due to the "silly snowman" in the commercials. And I'm really glad it worked!
    My daughter would have gone to see Frozen regardless. As I mentioned she bought the Elsa doll the first time she saw it in a store, yet after the movie I asked her what her favorite part was and she said Olaf. So I agree he definitely hit the mark with the younger age group.

He doesn't make the level or Sebastian or Lumiere for me, but he didn't bother me. I actually liked his earnest sweetness.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We loved this one! It makes me hope this is a sign of the next Disney Renaissance. All the positive feedback from friends gave me high hopes and Disney did not disappoint. I've got to say that word of mouth has to be huge for this film. I know social media has been buzzing with parents who were pleasantly surprised.

Personally I loved Olaf and so did my boys 3 and 6. I liked that Ana was a bit spunky and fun. Technically yes, she's a princess, but I didn't see that as a critical element of the story. I also liked that the title and trailor were not Princess themed because otherwise I'm not sure my boys would have been as eager to see it.

A highlight of the movie for me was the soundtrack. I bought it before I even left the theater. This one is sure to be a classic!
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely LOVED it!!!! And I was not overly excited based on previews. I thought the story was fantastic and very Disney. Such great character development with both of the sisters!

My 5 year DS on the other hand was indifferent.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it for the second time today. Such a good movie! I'm already planning on seeing it again
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and I watched this for the 2nd time on Tuesday. This is one of my favorite modern princess movies. Nothing will ever best the classics: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, etc. As for the recent movies, I have to say this is #1B with Tangled being #1A. Followed by Brave, Princess and the Frog, Mulan.

Olaf, Sven, and the trolls make the movie hilarious. Elsa and Anna are excellent. Some of the songs are annoying. I love the song "Let It Go" when Elsa fled to the mountain. Idina did an excellent job. Unfortunately, it is ruined when Demi Lovato sings it. This is not something against Demi, it is just how great Idina sang it.

I just hope Anna and Elsa will remain in the parks. We will not be going until late next year. They may not be staples at MK, but definitely in Norway at Epcot, especially the Princess Breakfast.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I just hope Anna and Elsa will remain in the parks. We will not be going until late next year. They may not be staples at MK, but definitely in Norway at Epcot, especially the Princess Breakfast.
    I would not expect them to be gone from EPCOT - judging from the lines waiting to meet them during my recent trip. They were very popular!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen for the most part was enjoyable as expected. But there were some parts that reminded me of High School Musical where if an event happened the characters would sing about it and I thought that was really corny. Olaf was my favorite
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    Frozen for the most part was enjoyable as expected. But there were some parts that reminded me of High School Musical where if an event happened the characters would sing about it and I thought that was really corny. Olaf was my favorite
    I have to agree. I enjoyed the movie, but was not expecting all the singing. Over all, they did a good job and the short was pretty cool...
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to seeing this Saturday. We enjoyed it. We thought it was really cute. I liked the music, but I agree that it's more Broadway-style than typical Disney style. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I liked all of the songs a lot, actually, but none of them were an ear worm like Be Our Guest or Friend Like Me, or Hakuna Matata for example.

I have to say I really liked Olaf and I don't see the problem with him. There has almost ALWAYS been comic relief in Disney films since the start. I didn't find him crass and I thought he was featured just enough. He didn't overshadow the main story.

My one complaint would be that Kristoff (Jonathan Groff) barely got to sing, and even when he did it was hokey stuff. Love his voice! The Kristoff-Sven interactions were some of mine and my husbands favorite parts.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to viewing Frozen yesterday... After seeing the marketing for the movie, I really was concerned for how well this would do... The marketing stunk... Now in its seventh week, it is poised to regain the number one slot, and if not, then finish a very close second... That is unheard of...

The songs, I agree, felt very Broadway... And while the songs were good, I don't feel they were all memorable like many other songs from Disney's animated movies... Except for one song... But again, that isn't saying the songs were bad, they weren't... They were good songs, fit the scenes well...

With that said, the movie deserves the success it has been getting... I feel it is one of the better animated movies Disney has released in some time... Yes, better than Wreck It Ralph and better than Tangled... I really did enjoy the movie...

As for Olaf, I didn't find him as annoying as I thought I would... I mean, he wasn't necessary by any means, and he didn't enhance the movie one bit... But, he didn't ruin it either...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The big news for Frozen is that it is the 2nd highest grossing animated Disney film behind The Lion King. That says a lot about this movie with Brave, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, Cars, and others.

Yes, some of the music got to be a pain in places. Some of it could have been taken out but not a big deal though. The trolls' song was cute and funny. Not something I wil listen to outside of the movie. Idina Manzel's version of Let It Go was incredible and blows away Demi Lovato's version. The animation when Ilsa sings the song is great as well. Turning from a prim and proper Princess/Queen to a sassy Snow Queen with a little bit of attitude.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the movie, and so did my two DDs, of course, my 5yo loves all things princess. I am so glad that Disney is returning to the big-score animated movies. I like when the songs get stuck in my head for days. I, also, came right home and downloaded Let It Go, Do You Want to Build a Snowman, and For the First Time in Forever. I'll probably pick up the rest of the soundtrack soon.
    Olaf neither bothered me nor made a big impression on me, and though I like Kristof and Sven, I really loved that the true love aspect was played out the way it was.
    We might be going back to see this one again.

By the way, my 5yo DD is a white-blond perfectionist, and my 2yo DD is a brunette mischief maker. Guess who they already want to be for Halloween? Looks like 7mo DS might be a snowman.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    I would not expect them to be gone from EPCOT - judging from the lines waiting to meet them during my recent trip. They were very popular!
    I hope so. They may not need to be permanently there, but scheduled M&G's in Norway would be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

The big news for Frozen is that it is the 2nd highest grossing animated Disney film behind The Lion King. That says a lot about this movie with Brave, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, Cars, and others.
    Adjusted for inflation it sounds like it'd be #5 between Fantasia and Jungle Book. Snow White, 101 Dalmatians and Lion King at 1,2,3.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, some of the music got to be a pain in places. Some of it could have been taken out but not a big deal though. The trolls' song was cute and funny. Not something I wil listen to outside of the movie. Idina Manzel's version of Let It Go was incredible and blows away Demi Lovato's version. The animation when Ilsa sings the song is great as well. Turning from a prim and proper Princess/Queen to a sassy Snow Queen with a little bit of attitude.
    Let it Go.. That's the song I was thinking of when I said maybe only one song from the movie is memorable... Was the best song in the movie...

And Demi Lovato's version =

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Let it Go..Was the best song in the movie... And Demi Lovato's version =
    I agree. Idina's is much better. There is an adult parody version of this song, about 30-40s. Do a search for it and watch it. will make you lol. I am sure Walt has turned over in his grave several times for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Idina's is much better. There is an adult parody version of this song, about 30-40s. Do a search for it and watch it. will make you lol. I am sure Walt has turned over in his grave several times for it.
    There was also one for Be Our Guest... Plus I made up a few of my own one vacation LOL... I'll have to Google the parody for Let it Go...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: