Quantcast Minor Accident

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Minor Accident

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minor Accident

So, I was involved in a minor accident yesterday afternoon. I was rear ended at a slow speed. I was stopped behind a few cars and we were all waiting for a bus to cross train tracks. the driver behind me hit me, was probably slowing down from 30 mph. the good news is her bumper went under my back bumper and made a few scrapes there but no bumps or major damage. Her car did not appear to be damaged either. We exchanged info and left and did not call the police. I've never been in an accident so I wasn't sure if I should call them or not with there being no obvious damage. This morning when I woke up my back and neck hurt. Not bad, but enough to notice it. I don't think I need medical treatment and it will probably go away in a couple days. I am guessing it's just some soreness from the impact. I was wearing my seat belt as always. Not sure what to do here, should I report this to the police? Can I , even though it was yesteday?
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not too late. File a police report using the information you have, and providing the information you were given. Also contact your insurer regarding the accident benefits. Your insurance company will make all the necessary contacts if treatment is required.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely file a report. Sometimes injuries are not immedietely apparant, might not hurt to be checked out just in case.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you are ok. Yes, like the others have said...file a report.

A couple of years ago I was rear ended. No injuries and the other person's insurance paid for the repairs. The worse part was dealing with all the stuff after the accident with the insurance companies.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, I actually probably wouldn't report it. A little soreness is to be expected and will probably go away in a few days. It might not be the right answer, but I can't imagine going through the hassle for a slight bump that didn't even make an appearance on your cars. Unless I'm getting the wrong idea and it was worse than I'm thinking. If you're in lots of pain and need to be checked out, that's a different story. I hope you're feeling a bit better today.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Being married to a cop I can tell you the advice is always, always, always call and get a record, no matter how small the accident is. If you are at fault it protects you from exaggeration later, if someone else is at fault it protects you from having to pay out of pocket.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI - I believe bumpers are really only made to take the brunt of one crash - meaning that even if there isn't any real visible damage, there could be damage on the inside. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and it turned out I needed a new bumper. And it wasn't cheap! You might want to get it checked out. Good luck!
    Amy

10/14 French Quarter
    5/12 Coronado Springs
    5/10 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/08All Star Sports
    5/07 All Star Sports
    5/06 Pop Century
    1/05 All Star Movies
    2/03 All Star Sports
    3 times before this millenium!!
    Next up: 9/16 Caribbean Beach!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to a Princess and a Prince View Post
    Just an FYI - I believe bumpers are really only made to take the brunt of one crash - meaning that even if there isn't any real visible damage, there could be damage on the inside. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and it turned out I needed a new bumper. And it wasn't cheap! You might want to get it checked out. Good luck!

^^^This is correct. Under the plastic/rubber bumper cover is a energy absorbing styrofoam that crushes when impacted and behind that is a steel bumper which has basically energy absorbing shocks more or less that sometimes do not return back out to thier original position and therefore do not have the energy absorbtion capacity they previously had.

They may have barely bumped you and actually caused no damage but then on the other hand there may be hidden damage that could result in a failure of the impact energy dissapation properties if you are ever hit in that bumper again. That basically means a higher proportion of the energy will be directly translated into the vehicle and then to your body which could result in more serious injuries than you would have had otherwise. Most likely kneck and/or back injuries.

I would have it inspected for damage other than cosmetic.

On the other hand, getting a police report is a double edged sword these days. If you get a police report, the wreck is going to go on the vehicle's history report and will show up on carfax. Your car has then immediately lost around 5-10% in value when you sell it or trade it in. The other parties insurance company should compensate you for this loss but will almost always give you the run around about it and you may have to get your attorney to send them a letter threatening to sue. It is called "diminished value." I have been there and done that a couple of times.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: