Quantcast Last corral for marathon. Is it really that bad?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Last corral for marathon. Is it really that bad?

So due to a string of unfortunate circumstances (injuries, timing, etc) I was not able to run a prof of time race prior to the Nov 1 deadline for the marathon. I am now stuck in the last corral. A few things - 1.) this will be my first big race, having done nothing more than local 5ks, etc. 2.) I am confident that I will pace at about 4:00-4:15 but have heard and read nightmares about being stuck in the last corral. 3.) staying off-property (I know, I know)
    I just want to know what to expect - so give it to me straight and any accompanying tips to make my experience less miserable on a day that I have been looking forward to for, literally, years.
    I like to know what to expect and will plan for the worst, but hope for the best. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
    October 1982 Days Lodge
    February 1992 Holiday Inn
    October 2001 Clarion Maingate
    April 2003 Wilderness Lodge
    March 2006 Caribe Royale Resort
    September 2006 Pop Century
    January 2012 Windsor Hills
    January 2014 Santa Cruz (Off-site) Marathon Weekend / Marathon Participant!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it depends on your run plan.

Last year at the Disney Marathon (our first marathon), we were in the second to last corral (Corral G). What we found was that the majority of the participants in our group were doing the Galloway method, or either walking the course in its entirety. The problem comes in when the course narrows and there are too many people bunched up. (Right after you exit Magic Kingdom is a long stretch that I remember….one car lane!!!!!) The run had soooo many participants and really no way to get around. We wasted so much energy practically running in place and trying to 'juke' around people to get ahead that it really put us at risk of personal injury. I ended up just hanging with the crowd, my husband was miserable trying to get around and never could hit his desired pace from our corral. Also, some folks are walking 4 and 5 deep or not moving to the side to walk, so it can be really difficult to get around.

So the problem comes in when you are stuck in an overcrowded course surrounded by participants who are not going the speed you want to go.

It is not all horrible, as the course does seem to open up and people stop for pics, but it can be very frustrating.

The whole situation is runDisney's fault for overselling the run and not providing an adequate space for so many participants.

All is not lost, though. This year I understand they have reduced the number of participants and have added a bunch more corrals. Not only that, I think they have increased the amount of time between the start of each corral to better spread out the masses.

You will need to be prepared that your start time will be much later than 5:30 - just be aware. This later start time may take you into a warmer part of the day, so make sure you prepare for that (hydrate). If you are wanting to do a significant amount of running as opposed to run/walking or walking, I would recommend positioning yourself at the start of your corral.

My husband wishes to add, it is easy to spend a lot of valuable energy trying to get around those who are moving at a slower pace. If a lane opens up, enjoy it, but managing the 26.2 miles (energy wise) is more important than trying to hit your desired pace from the last corral.

Another thing to be aware of, is that without notice, runners will suddenly stop to walk. It can be quite startling and abrupt as you try to avoid running into them.

I have tried to be as open as possible about the frustrations we encountered. Hopefully, runDisney has made adjustments that will improve everyone's experience.

Good luck with your training!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Most of what I'll say will probably echo what Carrie said in the previous post.....

1. In the past RunDisney has allowed you to change corrals at the expo if you can bring in a more recent proof of time so give them a call, you might be able to run a race in November or December, bring it with you to the expo and get moved up. I know they've done this in the past but I'm not sure if they still are doing it.

2. If you can't get out of the last corral, try to approach the race as a 'fun' race rather than a 'race' race. The reason I say that is because unless you're a high level runner with an almost clean course in the first wave or two you will deal with....
    a) Too many people on too narrow of a course (leading to no choice but walking with the pack at times). Disney did reduce the numbers somewhat this year and is supposed to space out the waves further but I don't think it's enough to make a huge difference in that issue.
    b) People stopping in the course to take pictures
    c) People running 3, 4 and 5 abreast with their friends or family
    d) People who will grab a drink at the refreshment stations and then stand in the middle of the course drinking it
    e) People doing the run-walk method who go from run to walk without realizing there are
    people directly behind them running.

Completing a half marathon or marathon is tough enough without having people constantly breaking your rhythm, but plan on it happening often. It's just the way the Disney races are, they attract a larger share of first time runners or once a year runners who haven't learned all the race etiquette things that say a Boston marathon field would have.

Staying off property isn't a big deal, I live in the area and drive there in the morning with no issues. It's obviously easier to be there extra early just because it's your first time and you don't want to see the mile-long backup of cars and get worried (you'd still make it in, but for your first big race you don't want to stress).

Another protip that you didn't ask about, but I will add. The bag drop-off is a long distance from the start, and very far (timewise) from the start. Make a trip to Salvation Army or Goodwill and pick up a pair of sweatpants, sweatshirt, glove and hats (and maybe extra if the weather forecast is for cold). You can easily be standing around in your race gear for 2 hours before getting a chance to start and if it's 40 degrees that gets to be miserable. Just before your wave starts, pull them off and toss them to the side. Disney collects all discarded clothes from the race and donates them.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Great advice. Thank you both so much! EXACTLY what I was looking for.
    October 1982 Days Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

As an added piece of advice, you can always wear a garbage bag (you know, cut out a hole for your head), and when the race starts, chuck it. It's not as comfy as a sweatshirt, but it's another option for staying warmer with a long wait before the start of the race.
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

For the record. It was not that bad. Had to wait about an hour from official start, but they did a great job of keeping it moving and spacing the corrals. Was able to run the entire time, no traffic jams, for the most part. Thanks again for all of the tips and advice. It was an amazing experience!
    October 1982 Days Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EpcotNut View Post
    For the record. It was not that bad. Had to wait about an hour from official start, but they did a great job of keeping it moving and spacing the corrals. Was able to run the entire time, no traffic jams, for the most part. Thanks again for all of the tips and advice. It was an amazing experience!
    So glad you had a great run! My sister was in the last corral for the half, and I was in H. She started about half an hour after me but caught up quickly and ended up finishing about 8 minuted behind me. Last corrals are not a race death sentence.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that my hubby wasn't happy on the half day with corral J. He had a hard time getting around walkers who would spread out/hold hands/etc. and block the runners. I sure hope they get a grip on the Dopey placements for next year, because it wasn't handled very well for this inaugural.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I will say that my hubby wasn't happy on the half day with corral J. He had a hard time getting around walkers who would spread out/hold hands/etc. and block the runners. I sure hope they get a grip on the Dopey placements for next year, because it wasn't handled very well for this inaugural.
    I was in corral J, too. For the Disney 1/2 this past weekend. It was very, very congested. People running for a bit then immediately stopping to walk, right after the "go" signal. I was surprised.

Admittedly, I was a little surprised to be in a corral as high as J. So I got over to the right-hand side and stayed there the entire race, so as not to injure anyone w/ my slow running pace.
    Kristen

last attraction: Art Academy in DHS
    last meal: Parisian Breakfast - Chefs de France

'94 - Poly & CBR: first trip
    '96 - GF & Dixie Landings
    '98 - POR
    '07 - CSR
    '12 - POR
    '13 - CSR: HONEYMOON
    '13 - POP
    '13 - CBR

'14 - POR
    '14 - Swan

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get that, Mel. It's like the people who drive below the speed limit in the left lane. Why not just get out of the way?
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I just don't get that, Mel. It's like the people who drive below the speed limit in the left lane. Why not just get out of the way?

I'm sure they aren't doing it on purpose, as they are no doubt excited and just want a special experience with friends and/or family. BUT, while everyone knows that personal records are not something to strive for at Disney races, there should still be awareness of those around you. Unfortunately not everyone follows proper race etiquette like k10. Maybe Disney should require some kind of online tutorial for those running their first runDisney event.

The fact that there were folks who almost immediately began walking after the start in the same corral as Dopey runners just isn't right. But I blame Disney (and whoever they outsourced to do the corral placements) for that and hopefully there were enough complaints that changes are made next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually was shocked I got placed in a corral before James. I know I was only doing the one race, but really? A first time half-er being placed ahead of a MARINE?

The race etiquette and expectations were explained in writing in the program booklet, but with so many people participating I don't see how race organizers could address it any other way or require tutorials when everyone is arriving at different times. Packet pick up and the Expo are crazy enough as it is! I tried to run as much as possible either in the middle of the lanes or on the right so I could easily dash over if I needed a walk break. I think it's great that so many people are using the Galloway method but need to remember that you can't just take your walk break wherever you want.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I actually was shocked I got placed in a corral before James. I know I was only doing the one race, but really? A first time half-er being placed ahead of a MARINE?
    Well, he's definitely not 30 anymore.

But seriously, my understanding of what happened is that the company who did the placements automatically tacked on 30 minutes to the submitted marathon times for all Dopey runners. They took it upon themselves to figure that the Dopey runners would be tired by Sunday and therefore would have a longer time. This therefore affected the corral placements greatly for both the half and full, since they were assigned the same corrals for both races.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he's definitely not 30 anymore.

But seriously, my understanding of what happened is that the company who did the placements automatically tacked on 30 minutes to the submitted marathon times for all Dopey runners. They took it upon themselves to figure that the Dopey runners would be tired by Sunday and therefore would have a longer time. This therefore affected the corral placements greatly for both the half and full, since they were assigned the same corrals for both races.
    That makes sense as I did see several Dopey and Goofy runners in the back. I do agree about the walkers and was shocked how many were walking right out of the gate. As I said, maybe I just got lucky, but I found the timing between corralls, etc to be great. It was an amazing experience and I am looking forward to doing more in the future. Admittedly, I did get over to the left side almost immediately and ran more that half the race well off to the side (in the grass even, where I could) and that seemed to help a lot.
    October 1982 Days Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they aren't doing it on purpose, as they are no doubt excited and just want a special experience with friends and/or family. BUT, while everyone knows that personal records are not something to strive for at Disney races, there should still be awareness of those around you. Unfortunately not everyone follows proper race etiquette like k10. Maybe Disney should require some kind of online tutorial for those running their first runDisney event.
    I actually think this is a great idea!
    October 1982 Days Lodge

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: