Quantcast Hartford Whalers

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

Default Hartford Whalers

I think it's time the Phoenix Coyotes move to Hartford. Anyone, anyone?

OK, so the next team to move will probably go to Quebec since they have already started on a new arena, and the politicians in Connecticut are so messed up they can't agree on what the time of day it is at any given moment. But, there are rumblins that stuff is going on behind the scenes and that the NHL is very open to a team returning to Hartford. Bettman has even been said to admit yanking the NHL out of Hartford was a mistake.

I hate when another core of fans loses their team, and I would much prefer expansion (which supposedly is also on the horizon). But looking at the attendance in Phoenix and also Miami...is that really good for the NHL?

Also, the Hartford Whalers brand is still very popular, and the team does not exist at this moment. Whalers merchandise sales is consistantly in the top 10 of all teams. When I was at the NHL Store in Manhattan earlier this year, I was there less than 10 minutes and I saw five jerseys bought by three different people, and one was a green Hartford Whalers jersey.

LONG LIVE THE WHALE!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather the New London Whalers, but if they come to Hartford I will go.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

You know, it's funny you say that, because I went to the New London High School athletics store website and was very tempted to buy a couple of items that read "Whalers Hockey" with the OLD school green/yellow colors!

Post Thanks / Like

I am totally for an NHL team coming back to Hartford - I still bleed green! We've tried to get into the Wolfpack, but it just isn't the same. Their games are a lot of fun, but... I haven't followed the NHL closely since we lost the Whalers and I really miss it. Let's hope the politicians realize once the XL Center is renovated that there really is still a market here for the NHL.
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Whalers fan I know hate the Bruins so hopefully so hopefully I wont alienate you. Although I always loved the Bruins, I miss the Whalers. It was like a second home team for me. It was great watching the Bruins on NESN and the Whalers on SportsChannel in the Boston TV market. The brass bonanza is an awesome theme song. I was disappointed they moved to NC and seeing all the empty seats there. I would like to see Hartford get a team back but there are challenges like Hartford is a small metropolitan area compared to other NHL cities, smaller fan base than nearby Boston or NY, and they need a new hockey arena since Hartford Civic Center is too small and dated by NHL standards.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there !!!

Although I live in NJ and am a Devils fan...I hope you do get your team back...It will be nice to throw another team back into the Northeast !!!

Do you think the city/state will be willing to fund a new arena ?... I hope so for you guys !!

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

The funny thing about this market is the placement between New York and Boston is a positive. In the very least, it reduces travel costs because the Devils, Islanders, Rangers, and Bruins can all bus here. A bus ride to Raleigh or Phoenix or Miami...not advisable! The Bruins owner has recently said he would welcome a team back to Hartford. Many fans in Boston miss the Battle of New England that was just starting to heat up. I read stories every day about people wearing Whalers attire in Boston and being warmingly accepted in welcomed...as recently as last night at the World Series, and the Fenway Park Red Sox store sells Whalers merchandise! The same happens in Montreal. There was something special about the Whalers...in fact it was a lot of little things that still make the team popular today. Even if the current boneheads at the capitol in Hartford don't get it, the NHL does. They are open to a team returning.

The building...yes, it's old. The funny thing is when it was renovated after the roof collapsed in 1980, it was the premiere building in the league, and ironically it was the need for a new building that was the main reason the team left. We have the NHL's blessing if the pieces fall into place. We need an owner with bucks who wants to buy a team and bring it here. The team can play for a short time in the XL Center while a new arena is built, but that's the big one right there. I think the only way that happens is if it's done with UConn. But if UConn insists on a new building on campus instead of Hartford, that puts us in a challenging spot.

As far as the current situation in Hartford goes, the rumor swirlling is when the renovations to Nassau Colliseum are complete, the Islanders are going to move the Bridgeport Sound Tigers there, and the Rangers will move the Wolf Pack to Bridgeport and free Hartford of the Rangers occupation. There will be no trouble landing another AHL team while we still organize getting the NHL back, and it will be a neutral team, which is what should have happened from the beginning. The current management company of the XL Center, Global, is very pro-NHL for Hartford, and wants the Rangers out. This is going to be very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you guys get your team back !! I always liked the Whalers. Being from Pittsburgh I am a huge Penguin fan but I remember when I was younger I got my first hockey puck from...Ron Francis when he was with Hartford. Who would know the guy who tossed a puck over the glass to me would end up a Penguin. I guess it evens out since in that trade my Zarley Zalapski jersey couldn't be worn anymore ha ha ha ha.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: