Quantcast AVATAR Project Details & New Nighttime Entertainment Announced for Animal Kingdom

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AVATAR Project Details & New Nighttime Entertainment Announced for Animal Kingdom

AVATAR-inspired Land Coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Walt Disney Imagineering in collaboration with filmmaker James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment is bringing to life the mythical world of Pandora, inspired by Cameron's AVATAR, at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park. The awe-inspiring land of floating mountains, bioluminescent rainforests and soaring Banshees will become real for Disney guests to see, hear and touch. Scheduled to open in 2017, the AVATAR-inspired land will be part of the largest expansion in Disney's Animal Kingdom history.

(Concept art, Walt Disney Imagineering) -
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John; 10-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasnt super thrilled by the Avatar idea, but by looking at the pics, it could be pretty cool.

Plus they are adding more night time activities which the park needs. I was lucky enough to see it during extra magic evening hours before they stopped, and it is a very pretty park at night.

I am feeling rather optimistic by this.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Looks interesting. The bioluminescence part has so many fun possibilities (not to mention merchandise tie-ins). I look forward to AK becoming a night time park (EE in the dark), but have mixed feelings about about the Safari running at night- are they going to have 2 sets of animals so that the animals actually get some undisturbed time?
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Highlights from Tom Stagg's Announcement at the 2013 D23 Expo Japan:

• The AVATAR expansion is scheduled to open "2017".
    • Concept Art released for a boat ride attraction through "bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound."
    • Concept art released for an attraction that allows Guests to, "discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee."
    • Announcement of a Discovery River Nighttime show that combines, "live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery"
    • Announcement of new nighttime performers in Discovery Village
    • Announcement of a new nighttime version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris

Opening dates for the individual additions were not included in the announcement.
    Figment! aka Jason șoș
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I think this all looks pretty awesome. I love animal kingdom to begin with but I'm really thrilled they are finally pulling more on the animals real AND imagined.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh. Still don't care for this. Nothing here changes my opinion.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be spending a lot of money not making the Star Wars expansion at the studios that I have meticulously planned out for Disney. I just don't understand why they don't answer my calls, letters, emails or telegrams.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

I love these ideas, not so much the AVATAR stuff, I can take them or leave them, but the other nighttime shows sound great.

I think AK has a lot of potential for "streetmosphere" type things, drawing from the African and Asian cultures, and who wouldn't love a good fire dancing routine?

For the nighttime show I guess they're going to set it up like Universal has their nighttime show around the lagoon, but again, I LOVE the idea of a paper lantern release (ala Tangled, at least thats what I've pictured in my head), think that would look amazing.

Overall I'm fairly impressed with the concepts, now they just have to execute it, like before 2020, if possible.
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am super excited to experience this! Animal Kingdom is my favorite park and I love this idea!
    Jill
    09/02-Offsite
    02/04-CSR
    05/05-WL
    01/06-AKL, 05/07-BC, 09/07-CSR, 01/09-AKL, 10/09-CSR, 05/10-CSR
    11/11-WL
    09/12- POP me & my DD (15)
    11/13-WL
    11/14-BLT-Ainsley's 1st trip, 01/16-AoA/Disney Cruise, 09/16-WL
    09/16-Offsite
    12/17-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to see them trying to bring some life back to AK.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the ideas and attractions sound pretty cool. I still don't care for the Avatar concept and never will. We have never been able to make it past the first 10-15 minutes of that movie. It was popular though so their fans will enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Night time stuff when it closes at 6 PM or earlier most of the year?

I wonder how this will work out. Presumably they close at 5 PM because there isn't enough demand to stay open later. I've never been when AK was open beyond 7 PM at night, and around closing time the place is usually pretty empty.

Post Thanks / Like

I *love* the idea of an Avatar land and especially in AK, which has always been a 1/2 day (if that) park for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Some of the ideas and attractions sound pretty cool. I still don't care for the Avatar concept and never will. We have never been able to make it past the first 10-15 minutes of that movie. It was popular though so their fans will enjoy it.
    I went in thinking I wouldn't like Avatar. First time I watched it I did the same, got about 15 in, decided it was a waste and turned it off.

Tried again about a year later and stayed put through the beginning and it was actually pretty great. I highly suggest settling in on a rainy day and watching it through. Even my non-scifi self really enjoyed it.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

I wonder how this will work out. Presumably they close at 5 PM because there isn't enough demand to stay open later. I've never been when AK was open beyond 7 PM at night, and around closing time the place is usually pretty empty.
    I'm assuming that Disney believes that if they add 1-2 avatar attractions and add a show or streetmosphere, and have a nighttime safari that they will have enough attractions to be open after dark and this will increase the crowds and justify staying open till 8-9 to put off a nighttime show around the river.
    Apr 2007 - ASMu
    Apr 2008 - Offsite
    Nov 2009 - ASMu
    Feb 2011 - CBR
    Aug 2011 - ASMu
    Aug 2012 - POFQ
    Sept 2013 - POR/AKV
    Mar 2014 - AKV
    Aug 2014 - AKV
    June 2015 - VGC/Aulani
    Nov 2015 - POP
    Aug 2016 - CSR/AKV
    Oct 2017 - AKV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    This seems to be spending a lot of money not making the Star Wars expansion at the studios that I have meticulously planned out for Disney. I just don't understand why they don't answer my calls, letters, emails or telegrams.
    I don't understand either, Gary. But I think you should know that all the Disney Security people are carrying your photo.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Looks stupid and a waste of money... No interest in Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, underwhelmed by the Avatar stuff. Yeah, it will be nice to have another ride or two, and I'm sure it will be pretty, but I'm not all suddenly SUPER CRAZY EXCITED FOR AVATAR AND THE MOVIE SEQUELS AND MERCHANDISING AND OH MY GOSH I LOVE AVATAR SO MUCH!!! It's still a bland storyline even if it is visually pretty.

From a logistical standpoint, I wonder how the bioluminescence stuff will look during the day in the bright Florida sunshine? Just curious how they'll do that. Or will all of that be indoors? (It looks like the water from the boatride is outdoors in that scale model picture with Joe Rohde?)

Now, the promise of keeping the park open later? That's something I CAN get behind. I always love it when Animal Kingdom is open past sunset in the winter months when it gets dark early. Such a pretty park at night!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Because once Avatar is open in all of its glory, DAK will be open to 8,9,10 at night...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Still think Beastly Kingdom would have been a better choice...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: