Quantcast FastPass+: Will your Strategy Change?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question FastPass+: Will your Strategy Change?

We're not returning for another 11 months so I have plenty of time to figure things out. By then, many of the growing pains associated with implementing this new program will have been worked out. But for those of you attending in the very near future, facing the front lines for the rest of us as you embrace (or refute) the new system, I was wondering: will you ride strategy change?

When you reach your 60-day mark and are planning your trip, are you going to utilize one of your FastPlass+ reserves on Pirates of the Caribbean, a ride you would normally just walk on? Or are you going to take a chance and use it on your usual FastPass rides (for us, Peter Pan, with its boring queue). Will you reserve Haunted Mansion? (We've never used FastPass on this ride!) Or will you take a chance that standby lines will be similar as past trips and use your reserve on something you KNOW will have a long line -- Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, new Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride (when open). I know there will be limitations on the number of big-ticket rides you can reserve in a day, so that will play a part.

We are off-peak travelers (if there is such a thing any more). Our first full day at the Magic Kingdom usually starts at Adventureland with us hitting Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Tiki Room and Aladdin's Carpets all without much wait at any of these.

We usually work our way around and up Frontierland and make our way to Fantasyland. That's where we normally start using FastPasses. We grab a FastPass for Peter Pan, then go ride Mickey's Philharmagic, It's a Small World, and possibly grab lunch before returning to Neverland.

We then grab a FastPass for Winnie the Pooh (or Dumbo) and go ride Tea Cups or Haunted Mansion (or both), use our FastPass and finish our day in Tomorrowland.

But I'm reading initial posts and reviews and I am no longer certain that will be a doable plan anymore. I'm reading the Pirates, due to the new FastPass line, now has 45-minute waits or longer when it would normally have 15 or 20. Same with other rides. Are you going to reserve a ride on that? What if you don't and you arrive and it's 75 minutes? Will you wait? What if you do and it's a walk-on? Will you try to make a FastPass+ change? Tricky!

I'm curious to see if this new program will alter your strategy. If you have already, tell us how you handled things.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We will use FastPass+ on rides we know will have a long line (Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin', etc.).
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about strategy yet, but I can tell you that I am considering purchasing tickets prior to arrival. That is a change in SOP for us, usually we get our tickets when we get there.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    I'm not sure about strategy yet, but I can tell you that I am considering purchasing tickets prior to arrival. That is a change in SOP for us, usually we get our tickets when we get there.
    Interesting point. We have to adjust our ticket purchasing strategy, as well. We usually purchase APs one at a time and have the vouchers sent to our house. To participate in FastPass+, we can't do that. We must purchase them and leave them at will call so we have a confirmation number to link them to MDE. A minor change, but one none the same.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle of the Ball 051411 View Post
    We will use FastPass+ on rides we know will have a long line (Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin', etc.).
    Ditto for us! Actually, I look forward to making the FP+ ressies for our next trip in just a few days! Wonderful to be able to make Soarin' FP without being in the park for rope drop!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I'm not even going to think about this until my next trip to Disney World, which probably won't be for at least a year. I'm just glad that Disneyland is not (yet) participating in the Fastpass + and Magic Bands. It will make the trip there next month more enjoyable.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Opus X Guest

Oh, i cant wait to use it...it will certainly make our trip..MUCH more enjoyable.
    We go back in May 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you think this will work - we're leaving this Friday and our friends are staying at CBR and we're staying at WL. Apparently they're testing FastPass+ at moderate resorts so they got the bands and we did not. Will they be able to include us in their FastPass reservations if we're linked in MDE? If not it will really mess things up.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure everything is tightly controlled by the system. It's tough to make dining reservations without people being on your reservations. Linking these things so different families is probably low on the list of things needing to be in place.

I'd like for them to prove me wrong, but I don't think I am.

Your best bet is going to probably be, be on the phone with the other family and press enter on the screens at the same time. Hope your return windows overlap.

Post Thanks / Like

I have made dining reservations many times for people not on my reservations. I'm wondering if they can include us on their fast pass+ reservations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    I have made dining reservations many times for people not on my reservations. I'm wondering if they can include us on their fast pass+ reservations?
    Not if you are trying within the 180+10 window, they only let you pick guests from your reservation. So they are excluding people not qualified from "sneaking" through the system. I have to guess they won't want outsiders not eligible for the Fastpass+ to sneak in too.

While another family may be eligible, seems like a lot of trouble to make it work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Not if you are trying within the 180+10 window, they only let you pick guests from your reservation. So they are excluding people not qualified from "sneaking" through the system. I have to guess they won't want outsiders not eligible for the Fastpass+ to sneak in too.

While another family may be eligible, seems like a lot of trouble to make it work.
    Not trying to sneak in on anything. We're just vacationing together and trying to stick together. I made all the dining reservations last April for all of us (they're a family of 4 and we're 2). A lot of people vacation together and want to go on the attractions together.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to sneak in on anything. We're just vacationing together and trying to stick together. I made all the dining reservations last April for all of us (they're a family of 4 and we're 2). A lot of people vacation together and want to go on the attractions together.
    I understand, just saying, they have specifically programmed around allowing people to get others into restaurants that shouldn't be eligible, I see no reason why they wouldn't program the ability of disallowing adding other people to a Fastpass+.

Even linking reservations, they would then have to check if the other reservation cancelled, free up fastpasses, etc. It's a programming nightmare (probably much of the reason it's gone way over budget) and opens up possibly other ways to exploit the system.

Also, April I don't think the system was up and running. Now, if you try to book at the 180 day window for any of the 10 days of your vacation, you can only pick people on your reservation. You don't have the ability to add others. If the date is less than 180 days, you can absolutely add people to the reservation, they want names, etc though.

We too have gone with others and tried to coordinate plans. It's often the other parties that become the hassle in meeting up, but I think this time, Disney will probably fall short on allowing it.

Post Thanks / Like

If they were invited to test and you weren't then my guess would be that they won't be able to include your room in their FP+ selections.

If your rooms are linked on the MDE page then it won't hurt to try. Have your friends already selected their FP+ for their stay? If they haven't, try to link the two reservations so that y'all are considered "family and friends" then see if they can add your room when making FP+ selections. It doesn't hurt to try, or even call to see if Disney can help you out. Good luck.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

OK...I'll admit that I'm in the minority here but Fast Pass+ won't affect my strategy in the least, because my strategy is........ there is no strategy! Why be constrained by a time limit for an attraction? Go with the flow and enjoy the moment. Guess I'm just not a planner.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    OK...I'll admit that I'm in the minority here but Fast Pass+ won't affect my strategy in the least, because my strategy is........ there is no strategy! Why be constrained by a time limit for an attraction? Go with the flow and enjoy the moment. Guess I'm just not a planner.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't aware that you could make reservations for FastPasses. Can anyone provide a link to this new policy? We will visit end of month, are staying at a premium resort and have received our bands.

During our last trip, March 2011, I was disappointed when they went back to having to return to use FP during designated time (yes, I know that is the proper rule) rather than you could use FP anytime after the time that was on your FP. It caused us to do alot of unnecessary back and forth and took a lot of the spontaneity/magic out of the day.

Perhaps this will be better? Or still too "programmed?"
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

Return times are still enforced under the new policy I believe...

The whole point of fastpass (well a large portion of it) is so they can manage the queue and therefore the staff necessary to run the attraction. If they know they will have 3000 people coming back during a certain time frame, then they know how many people it takes to staff the attraction for that hour. If they only have x number of people capable of running the attraction for an hour, they can program it to only dispense a certain number of fastpasses...

Post Thanks / Like

After being part of the test phase of FP+ last month, it will absolutely change future trips. Knowing that we already have a time slot to ride TSM changes everything in how we will visit the park.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wiltsan View Post
    I wasn't aware that you could make reservations for FastPasses. Can anyone provide a link to this new policy? We will visit end of month, are staying at a premium resort and have received our bands.

During our last trip, March 2011, I was disappointed when they went back to having to return to use FP during designated time (yes, I know that is the proper rule) rather than you could use FP anytime after the time that was on your FP. It caused us to do alot of unnecessary back and forth and took a lot of the spontaneity/magic out of the day.

Perhaps this will be better? Or still too "programmed?"
    Return times are being enforced, you were given that time slot for a reason. The FP+ is still in the testing phases & you can find lots of info right here on Intercot. Basically if you are invited to test it during your trip you are invited by both e-mail & snail mail if you are staying at a WDW resort with your park tickets attached. You are permitted to reserve 3 FP+ experiences for the number of days you have a ticket for at 1 park per day for your travelling party. It automatically gives you 3 scenarios of times to choose from based around any ADR'S you may have that day that you pick from. Afterwards if you want to change anything you can go back & edit times for each slot.
    Last edited by CaptSmee; 10-09-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: misspell
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: