Quantcast The problem with bus transportation

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The problem with bus transportation

Here's what happened far too frequently when we used the bus system the first year. We walked back to the bus stops at the end of the day, with me carrying the exhausted seven year old. We'd wait 15-20 minutes in line. Finally here comes the bus. We're looking forward to getting on and getting the boys back to the room and in bed. Just as the bus pulls up, someone on a rented scooter pulls to the front of the line. They have 5 ppl with them. And we have to stand there waiting longer for them to load the scooter while the rider and their party goes and selects their seats. And what do you know- here comes another scooter. Process repeats itself. By the time all the scooters are loaded and everyone in the party seated, now we can load. But even though we were fourth in line, we have to stand with our kids because the seats are up for scooters and the remaining are filled with the scooter parties. This isn't right. I can see giving priority for wheelchairs, but not for rented scooters. They need to wait in line like everyone else, or have to ride buses specifically designated only for scooters. After getting bumped last year following a twenty minute wait while waiting to go to Magic Kingdom because there wasn't enough room on the bus after all the scooters came rolling out of the Pop Century lobby when the bus pulled up, we just drove to the parks after that. It's a shame because the bus system would be wonderful if not for the way the scooters are given priority. I know we're not the only ones that feel this way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Been there done that - there seem to be more every year. I thought they changed things and the families had to wait in line but apparently not.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Disney needs to accomodate everyone and that's not happening.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the new buses will better accommodate this issue.
    Can anyone get a scooter? Like you said- accommodate the wheelchairs but not the scooters. Make them wait in line, too.

Post Thanks / Like

We visited with my sister in law two years ago and my niece is in a wheel chair. They refused to take advantage of any special treatment because of the disability. They would wait their turn like everyone else, whether a bus or a attraction or a restroom. They appreciate the fact that Disney goes to great lengths to accommodate their daughter as best they can. So while I have experienced the same aggravating people taking advantage of the system, not all those who are challenged are so ignorant. There are a lot of people minimally challenged who really push the envelope when it comes to taking advantage of other visitors patience. No way those scooters should go to the front of the line.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

7. Thanks tinkwest thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does a scooter not fit in the roped off queue? I would feel weird cutting in line...
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

We had one time where there were...wait for it...12 people who got on with one scooter. We had to stand, and my daughter was 6 months pregnant and we had a 2 year old. I was carrying the stroller, and do you think one on the three abled bodied men who walked on with the scooter would give up their seat? Heck no, it was horrible and they just looked away. We would've had a seat if they would have only loaded the scooter and made their party stand in line when the scooter arrived at the bus! They really need to deal with this...and the abuse of huge groups trading off who's riding in the wheelchair now, being used as a stroller.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    Disney needs to accomodate everyone and that's not happening.
    This is the kind of thread where people simply get upset because they perceive someone is getting an unfair advantage. Personally I wouldn't want to need a scooter or wheelchair. The inconveniences I might experience from these small delays pale in comparison to someone who needs it. Pretty petty of those who don't need it to make such a fuss about a few minute delay. And breaking up the parties doesn't do anything. All you would end up with is those in need of the scooter waiting in the sun and that has its own negatives.

Disney has to legally accommodate so there is no need to continue a thread like this because the accommodation isn't going away.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Maybe the new buses will better accommodate this issue.
    Can anyone get a scooter? Like you said- accommodate the wheelchairs but not the scooters. Make them wait in line, too.
    So let me get this straight. Either you are saying that nobody who has a disability rents a scooter or that disabled people who need a scooter shouldn't be accommodated. In the first instance, that is demonstrably false and in the second again Disney is legally required to accommodate. And since they must and disabled folks do rent them then Disney will continue meeting the law and accommodating.

Ok, and finally, scooters and wheelchairs must be loaded first. It is the only way to safely do it. The bus has to be empty because of the tightness of the aisles. So scooters and wheelchairs will always be loaded first and therefor having them wait in line simply doesn't work.

Get over it folks and be thankful that your worse problem is just a few minutes delay.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

11. Thanks Terra, madhatterrules thanked for this post
    Likes Terra, Daisy'sMom, madhatterrules liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said! If any in our group starts to gripe about the wait, I sternly remind them that we are lucky to be able to stand on our own two feet and wait. It's not fun waiting, no one likes it, but I would not wish to trade places. It's very easy to perceive a slight when there is none.

13. Thanks Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Terra liked this post
    Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    This is the kind of thread where people simply get upset because they perceive someone is getting an unfair advantage. Personally I wouldn't want to need a scooter or wheelchair. The inconveniences I might experience from these small delays pale in comparison to someone who needs it. Pretty petty of those who don't need it to make such a fuss about a few minute delay. And breaking up the parties doesn't do anything. All you would end up with is those in need of the scooter waiting in the sun and that has its own negatives.

Disney has to legally accommodate so there is no need to continue a thread like this because the accommodation isn't going away.

So let me get this straight. Either you are saying that nobody who has a disability rents a scooter or that disabled people who need a scooter shouldn't be accommodated. In the first instance, that is demonstrably false and in the second again Disney is legally required to accommodate. And since they must and disabled folks do rent them then Disney will continue meeting the law and accommodating.

Ok, and finally, scooters and wheelchairs must be loaded first. It is the only way to safely do it. The bus has to be empty because of the tightness of the aisles. So scooters and wheelchairs will always be loaded first and therefor having them wait in line simply doesn't work.

Get over it folks and be thankful that your worse problem is just a few minutes delay.
    The problem is the utter rampant abuse of scooters.
    Wheelchairs, i really cant imagine much abuse there..and those folks need all the help they can get. But, so many folks use scooters just as a convenience NOT a mobility issue.
    But, karma...always gets you. I just enjoy my day at WDW and if someone is abusing the system...what comes around goes around...I do think though that only 2 people should be allowed to go on with a scooter. The rest of the family can catch up.
    Its the same with public assistance...I think we all know how bad that is abused...
    BUT, I do agree with you that it really isnt much of a delay...We almost always use WDW transport. I love it, its free and I could care less if i have to stand..I always give my seat to the elderly. Happy to do it. All in all, disney transport is GREAT. The wait times are always minimal in my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    The problem is the utter rampant abuse of scooters.
    Wheelchairs, i really cant imagine much abuse there..and those folks need all the help they can get. But, so many folks use scooters just as a convenience NOT a mobility issue.
    But, karma...always gets you. I just enjoy my day at WDW and if someone is abusing the system...what comes around goes around...I do think though that only 2 people should be allowed to go on with a scooter. The rest of the family can catch up.
    Its the same with public assistance...I think we all know how bad that is abused...
    BUT, I do agree with you that it really isnt much of a delay...We almost always use WDW transport. I love it, its free and I could care less if i have to stand..I always give my seat to the elderly. Happy to do it. All in all, disney transport is GREAT. The wait times are always minimal in my humble opinion.
    I agree that there is some abuse there is of any program. But I doubt its that great. Besides, Disney has very limited options legally to try to identify who might be abusing. They really can't ask about the need for the scooter.

And for limiting the party to 2 plus the scooter user. Well, if you apply that rule only to scooter users that is in itself discriminatory and Disney can't legally be discriminatory. So the only way they could do that would be to limit all parties to a maximum of 3. So families of 4 or more would be broken into 2 or more parties. Of course, that wouldn't go over well, and it would lengthen lines at both ends with people waiting for their full party getting in the way of others both at origin and destination. It would be ugly.

All we can do is recognize that accommodation laws make the lives of those who need the accommodation much better and cause an inconvenience to the rest of us that really isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Opus X Guest

I agree that there is some abuse there is of any program. But I doubt its that great. Besides, Disney has very limited options legally to try to identify who might be abusing. They really can't ask about the need for the scooter.

And for limiting the party to 2 plus the scooter user. Well, if you apply that rule only to scooter users that is in itself discriminatory and Disney can't legally be discriminatory. So the only way they could do that would be to limit all parties to a maximum of 3. So families of 4 or more would be broken into 2 or more parties. Of course, that wouldn't go over well, and it would lengthen lines at both ends with people waiting for their full party getting in the way of others both at origin and destination. It would be ugly.

All we can do is recognize that accommodation laws make the lives of those who need the accommodation much better and cause an inconvenience to the rest of us that really isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.
    I agree its almost impossible to rid the abusers...and as is stated..I really pay no attention..It takes a lot for me to get upset...while on vacation!
    But, it is something worth commentary. Its just not a WDW issue but a society as a whole issue concerning abuse of this or that.
    But in any case...time for bed. Nice chat. After all, this is all about or love for WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a number of the points you bring up

My DW got injured on our last trip to wdw. I rented a scooter for her. It was an inconvenience that made the rest of the trip bearable.

The Bus system is PUBLIC transportation. There are going to be inconveniences that accompany that.
    One of the reasons that scooters have to be loaded first is that the seats on the bus need to go up, and displacing any passengers that are seated there could becomes a problem. Which is why they get 'preferential' treatment.
    In a perfect world, there would be 3 or 4 specialty vehicles that would be used at a park's closing that could accommodate many scooters and wheelchairs, and the parties that travel with them (perhaps having standing stations for the parties). but its not a perfect world...

this topic has its points on both sides

but like opus x said...why get worked up on vacation

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather wait and stand then have to be on a scooter. The scooter people would rather be scooter free. The problem I see is when women by themselves or holding a child are standing and men and teenagers are sitting there and not offering their seat. I have given my seat and have seen other men give up their seat but not enough of them do it. Elderly people I have seen standing while a teenager sitting on his can care less. That I believe is the problem.

19. Likes Daisy'sMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unfortunate abuse

I agree that those of us lucky enough to have no disability that requires the use of wheelchair or motorized vehicle should not pout about the person who does need a wheelchair "holding up the line". A couple of small changes to the rules however could attempt to help everyone.

The use of wheelchairs is an absolute necessity and should be accomodated at all costs. They must load first for safety. Their party shoud get on first with them. However, they should be instructed that should the bus be full to capacity they may need to stand to accomodate small children and the elderly that were in line first.

Second, the use of motorized scooters is a modern convenience of the very recent past. I completely agree that it is abused regularly. I don't believe that any current laws on accomodating disabilities specifically make outlined rules regarding scooters. There is a big difference between the motorized wheelchair that is a medical necessity and the scooter used for convenience. I might enjoy myself if I spent the day in a bed on wheels but I have not yet seen them accomodated on buses due to an laws on inclusion. I know when I had an injury years ago, we used the scooter in the park for convenience but as many people using them do, I was perfectly cabable of disembarking my scooter for rides and for the bus.

Perhaps, part of the problem would be fixed by moving the scooter rental to an area near the buses. Many scooter riders would like or need the convenience of these items for the park but have no real need to rent them for the whole duration of their trip if they could get them as soon as they got off of the bus.

Another idea would be to have one person in the party wait in the line and the scooter could board first on the bus that their party would have gotten on, based on the lineup. The bus drivers know how many people the bus accomodates.

Additionally, making guest who plan to use the scooters on the buses obtain a medical note that would be handed in at front desk or the parks could also cut down on some of the abuses. Separate buses are certainly an option

As a parent of young children I am dismayed to see a number of people abusing the scooter accomodation and sitting comfortably with their other five able bodied adults and my two year old cries because I have to stand on the bus and struggle to hold her or she has to stand herself when there isn't room. As the scooters become more affordable and more common place, it is naive to believe that the issue with abuse isn't getting worse. Accomodation is one thing, but when I pay the same amount for my vacation as another person, I should not have to wait for three buses because a person on a scooter pulls up at the last second and gets on the bus and displaces five to ten seats.

This problem is not going away. In fact, it is getting worse. We must find a way for everyone to have a magical vacation!
    Always let your conscience be your guide.
    -Pinocchio

2014 - AoA
    2013 - AKV Kidani
    2012 - AoA
    2011 - ASM
    2010 - BLT
    2009 - OKW
    2008 - ASM
    2007 - Pop
    1986 - FW
    1985 - FW
    1984 - FW

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned earlier, we vacationed with my niece in a chair. We were a party of seven. We were split several times when boarding buses. My nieces parents did board with her and the rest of us waited our turn, and sometimes that meant the next bus. We were split at the attractions as well. It's not a big deal folks. Everyone has a cell phone. You meet up at the park you are going to or after the ride. Four to a partying including the chair/scooter is plenty.
    And on Disney's part, a few more buses added to the routes would help tremendously. But that might cut into profits and we can't disappoint the investors over the folks spending their saved up penny's.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe WDW controls some of this by having only a certain percentage of buses with hadicap/scooter capability. Maybe they have added a higher percentage to the system.

This is however they way they can control the abuse. Keep an appropriate percentage of handicap buses and those with scooters have to wait for one to come along. Everyone else uses the regular buses that come by more frequently.

I haven't used the internal bus system in several years so I don't have first hand knowledge of whether they have uped the percentage or not. I got tired of standing around wasting a significant amount of my vacation time waiting on the buses so we started driving everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always hated when scooters get loaded but this year i am renting one for the very first time for my mom who can not navigate the parks I myself at 30 on one trip was in a wheelchair after having knee surgery one month prior The looks i got bc of my age were crazy but i couldnt walk. Sometimes you may not always see the persons disability. I rented a car this trip so i can fold the scooter and i dont need to wait in any lines
    Next trip sept 23- thru oct 1 2013 for my sons first trip ever at 28 months.
    Carribean beach. Mnsshp, hhn, seaworld 4 disney parks 2 waterparks rented a car got photopass plus. Im ready

Post Thanks / Like

If it's within your budget, I'd always recommend renting a car. It really is so much easier and speedier than dealing with Disney's bus service

I applaud Disney for offering free transportation around the resort. It is a great perk. But it isn't designed to be fast, direct or thorough.

Renting a car is really a matter of cost versus convenience. It's not cheap, but it certainly makes a trip a bit easier, especially if you're staying at a moderate or value hotel with limited transportation options other than buses.

As for the scooters, yeah, I've always thought the loading process was a bit strange, but I've just accepted it.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Wow so many sitting in judgement of those on scooters. I don't own a scooter but will be using one for the first time on my up coming trip. I have pulmonary fibrosis and I am sure that when people see me do things like get up and take a seat on a ride many will think I am abusing the system. I get that your tired and would like a seat on the bus, prior trips I've had to stand at the end of a long day, I know what its like when your tired and your feet hurt. But don't blame the people on scooters. When I walk for a short distance my oxygen levels drop and I have to stop and let them build up again. Imagine trying to do that at WDW. So I will be on a scooter so that I don't have to stop all the time.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

26. Thanks Terra thanked for this post
    Likes Terra, madhatterrules liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: