Quantcast Campsite vs. Moderate

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Campsite vs. Moderate

We are planning a trip for June 2014 there will be 7 of us. 2 are children age 5 and 2. We have always stayed at the resorts but with this number DH and I were wondering about renting a RV that sleeps 7 and camping at WCS. We would be driving from up by Chicago and I know the gas would be high but airfare for all of us is too. We would want to rent golf carts most likely from off site. What are your pros and cons on this??? We are trying to figure out if this would be most cost effective for us or getting 2 rooms in a moderate. DH does not really like the value resorts!! Having never been to the campground not really sure of what to expect. Any help will be appreciated.
    All Star Sports 1996
    All Star Movies/Dixie1999
    POR/CBR 2001
    Animal Kingdom Lodge/Poly/POR 2003
    Pop,Port Orleans,Wilderness Lodge, Poly 2006
    Caribbean Beach 2007
    Caribbean Beach/Poly 2010 College graduation for DD
    Next Trip--June 2014 AoA Resort
    Girls trip Thanksgiving 2015.Port Orleans!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a camper but haven't driven to WDW since 2004 due to high gas prices. Do you plan on cooking your meaals in the camper? If so, you will save money there. If not, maybe you want to check out the new Art of Animation family suites.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that the Art of Animation Suites hold 7. They are only based on 6 occupants. We looked into that option. We do not plan on cooking all of our meals. Maybe a few breakfasts here and there.
    All Star Sports 1996
    All Star Movies/Dixie1999
    POR/CBR 2001
    Animal Kingdom Lodge/Poly/POR 2003
    Pop,Port Orleans,Wilderness Lodge, Poly 2006
    Caribbean Beach 2007
    Caribbean Beach/Poly 2010 College graduation for DD
    Next Trip--June 2014 AoA Resort
    Girls trip Thanksgiving 2015.Port Orleans!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have not been campers in the past, I would suggest this would not be the time to start - go for the 2 moderate rooms.

If you are experienced campers and want to experience Fort Wilderness, then go for it!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have never camped in Disney and only a few times locally, but if you do not plan on cooking your meals you might as well stay at a resort. You will have about the same amount of room and wouldn't need a golf cart to get around. You still may want to drive down to save on airfare with seven people. I would look into villas or family suites.

Would the youngest be considered a "person" by Disney standards? I forget if it was age two or three.

Family Trips (I was very young):
    80's - 90's Grand Floridian; Polynesian

May 2001 - All Star Sports
    2009; 2010; 2012; 2013 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

My first instinct was the same as Faline's - are you seasoned RV'ers, or will this be your first trip with a rig for 7?
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We are experienced campers (both tent and RV), and I can tell you that 2 rooms at a moderate will give you much more room than even a large RV (Class A). The moderate rooms at WDW resorts are about 314 sq. ft., so you you'd have about 728 sq ft. between the 7 of you. AND you'd have TWO bathrooms. On the other hand he biggest (class A) RVs will have about 450 sq. ft total, IF they have some slide outs. That's a lot more cramped when you are all inside at the same time, not to mention only ONE bathroom, maybe 1&1/2 on the really fancy models.

Are you planning on driving the RV form Chicago, or renting one when you get there? Renting one in Orlando will save you some on the fuel costs, of course. Fuel mileage on those big rigs are atrocious, about 8 mpg at best. Round trip from Chicago to FW is about 2,300 miles. The current average price for diesel fuel in the U.S. $3.87/gal. That works out multiplies out to more than $1,100 just for fuel alone. OUCH! Driving a car will save a lot, but will still probably cost you about $400-500 depending on your mileage.

I haven't priced airline fares, but by the time you pay for the RV rental, the fuel to drive it to WDW and back from Chicago, (less for driving you car), and the campsite rental, golf-cart rentals, plus meals on the way down and back, I don't think you'll be saving a whole lot by RV'ing for your WDW vacation over the cost of flying and staying in a moderate. And that doesn't even factor in the travel time for driving cross-country, whether in an RV or a car. And 7 people in one car from Chicago to WDW and back does not sound like fun to me. Plus, If you stop for the night somewhere on the way down and back, you have additional expense for that.

Don't get me wrong, we love RV'ing and being on the road, but there are only 4 in our family (2 teenage boys). And Fort Wilderness is hands-down the nicest campground you'll find anywhere in the U.S. But if you are new to RV'ing, I would be hesitant to recommend that you begin that experience with a cross-country trek with 7 people, no matter how close and friendly you are. An RV, even the big ones, is like a very, very small apartment.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    We are experienced campers (both tent and RV), and I can tell you that 2 rooms at a moderate will give you much more room than even a large RV (Class A). The moderate rooms at WDW resorts are about 314 sq. ft., so you you'd have about 728 sq ft. between the 7 of you. AND you'd have TWO bathrooms. On the other hand he biggest (class A) RVs will have about 450 sq. ft total, IF they have some slide outs. That's a lot more cramped when you are all inside at the same time, not to mention only ONE bathroom, maybe 1&1/2 on the really fancy models.

Are you planning on driving the RV form Chicago, or renting one when you get there? Renting one in Orlando will save you some on the fuel costs, of course. Fuel mileage on those big rigs are atrocious, about 8 mpg at best. Round trip from Chicago to FW is about 2,300 miles. The current average price for diesel fuel in the U.S. $3.87/gal. That works out multiplies out to more than $1,100 just for fuel alone. OUCH! Driving a car will save a lot, but will still probably cost you about $400-500 depending on your mileage.

I haven't priced airline fares, but by the time you pay for the RV rental, the fuel to drive it to WDW and back from Chicago, (less for driving you car), and the campsite rental, golf-cart rentals, plus meals on the way down and back, I don't think you'll be saving a whole lot by RV'ing for your WDW vacation over the cost of flying and staying in a moderate. And that doesn't even factor in the travel time for driving cross-country, whether in an RV or a car. And 7 people in one car from Chicago to WDW and back does not sound like fun to me. Plus, If you stop for the night somewhere on the way down and back, you have additional expense for that.

Don't get me wrong, we love RV'ing and being on the road, but there are only 4 in our family (2 teenage boys). And Fort Wilderness is hands-down the nicest campground you'll find anywhere in the U.S. But if you are new to RV'ing, I would be hesitant to recommend that you begin that experience with a cross-country trek with 7 people, no matter how close and friendly you are. An RV, even the big ones, is like a very, very small apartment.

I agree with this. However I wanted to add that if you were to camp if you are close to the bath house (and your family is OK with using the bath house) this could add extra bathrooms and showers.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

What is WCS?
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the popular vote here and would probably recommend against renting an rv to drive down if your not a seasoned rv'r....BUT I would recommend a cabin at the Wilderness. Pretty sure they say 6 in the cabins but with small kids it could easily hold 7.
    I would say I am biased because I absolutely love Ft Wilderness! We tried a moderate this year to save on fuel driving from PA but we spent the whole trip agreeing that we wouldn't do anything but the campground ever again. Looping in the golf cart is probably my favorite non park pass time at Disney..
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Pop Century
    All Star Movies
    Contemporary
    Fort Wilderness
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbie Girl View Post
    I don't believe that the Art of Animation Suites hold 7. They are only based on 6 occupants. We looked into that option. We do not plan on cooking all of our meals. Maybe a few breakfasts here and there.
    I'm not sure that the 2 year old would count, so you may be ok here with the family suite.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some things to consider...

Chiming in very late here, but...

Remember that the '7 people capacity' is kind of more marketing fantasy than anything else. Take a REAL good look in that RV before you rent it, and picture everyone racked out and snoring. How's that going to work out? Two - three people in the rear bed, two people on the dinette, two on a fold-out couch?

And are you (and DH) comfortable with DRIVING and maneuvering Class A rig sized for 7 people? Think about driving through Chicago at rush hour - would you be comfortable doing that?

(Heard a funny story about ten years back - guy with no experience was thinking about getting an RV and hitting the road, so he sold his house and bought the biggest thing he could afford, a veritable palace on wheels. He drove it off the lot, made it to his first campground... then called the dealership to see if they'd take it back without too much of a hit. Turned out he HATED driving it. He mailed them the keys, told them where to find it.)

Also think about the logistics. The gray- and blackwater tanks on an RV will only hold so much - and if you're not used to messing with them it can be a bit unpleasant. (That said, the Disney sites are the best full-hookup sites I've seen ANYWHERE...) With 7 people, figure frequent emptying, and even the larger rigs usually just have a 10-gallon water heater...

If it all works for you, then happy travelling! But the point of a vacation is carefree enjoyment. (For most people, that is... some like a challenge. ) If this will be your first time with an RV of this size, it may well not be carefree!

By the way, if you're coming through Atlanta, you can take the HOV/Carpool Lane down I-75 through the city. It'll get you through without being peeled off by the I-20 interchange about midway through, or the I-85 split to the airport.

Have a good vacation!
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: