Quantcast Starbucks.....what a joke! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starbucks

Well, we will be able to get our opinion in pretty soon! Two weeks from tomorrow, we will take a peak at Starbucks on Main Street. So looking forward to our long awaited vacation!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lack of imagination disappointing

What made WDW unique was the attention to detail, the unique theming, the ability to take you away from ordinary world. It is becoming homogenized. Each resort used to have their own unique, signature items. This is less and less the case. Each land or attraction had its own merchandise, now it seems that every shop is the more and more similar and even carries stuff you can find at the mall or Walmart. Now McDonalds and Starbucks. Maybe others will continue to come, but for me WDW is not about the rides, it is about the incredibly detailed, unique and magical experience. I can go to the mall anytime for free.

I am actually looking forward to butterbeer and Olivander's wands this trip. I have heard that Universal does not compare to WDW, but it seems that some exciting attention to detail, special theming, and unique dining and merchandising is happening there. Perhaps the competitors will seize upon this opportunity?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garthbarth1 View Post
    Agree with OP! If the just served Starbucks coffee, but kept the same charm of the bakery and the baked goods, that seems like a good compromise. I look out my window at work everyday and see a starbucks across the street. I do not want to see that at WDW-an escape from daily life for many of us....serve the product, but don't change the charm.
    That more or less sums up my feelings. I don't mind it being a Starbucks (although I rarely frequent that chain, the coffee is good), but I would not want the the one at WDW to look like every other be of the gazillion Starbucks across the country. It's my understanding they've maintained the theme of the old bakery, even if the products have changed.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMouse View Post
    Partners like coke and edys and even Starbucks is fine. However, that is not what was done here.

Starbucks placed a full outfitted cafe in place of the Main street Bakery.

When I walk into Casey's, I feel like I'm in an authentic hot dog shop.....not a Coca-Cola factory.

When I'm in the ice cream parlor, I feel like I'm in an authentic yesteryear ice cream shop.....

When I'm now in Starbucks, I feel like I'm in any of the 10,000 locations in any big city Starbucks.

That is not the theme main street is about......
    Couldn't agree more.

One of the best things about going to DisneyWorld was not seeing stores likes McDonalds and Starbucks anywhere.

Sponsoring a store is one thing, taking it over is another. They should have just served Starbucks coffe and kept the Main Street Bakery as it was. It was refurbished not to long ago, it didn't need to be overhauled.

I heard a rumor that Cinderella's Castle is soon going to be called Cinderella's by Marriott.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't drink Starbucks at home and i won't have a drop of it in WDW. this was a horrible decision when they announced it! Main Street Bakery is one of those staples of WDW, me and dw would start off every Magic Kingdom visit stopping at the bakery enjoying those huge sticky buns and other nice danish that they offered, looking at some photos it looks like ur typical cupcake and whatever else Starbucks offers. I know business is business but please don't tell me that Disney did this because they're losing money. Please they did 3.1 BILLION in revenue ummm i don't think that theyre hurting do you?? Well looks like me and dw will have to by pass Main Street Starbucks and goto Gaston's for a nice bun

HORRIBLE

VIctor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post

I am actually looking forward to butterbeer and Olivander's wands this trip. I have heard that Universal does not compare to WDW, but it seems that some exciting attention to detail, special theming, and unique dining and merchandising is happening there. Perhaps the competitors will seize upon this opportunity?
    And as I've said before on this, don't be surprised when you go to Universal and see a huge, regular Starbucks (not themed or blended in, like WDW) in the park. If it remains, it will be right across from the new Harry Potter addition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And as I've said before on this, don't be surprised when you go to Universal and see a huge, regular Starbucks (not themed or blended in, like WDW) in the park. If it remains, it will be right across from the new Harry Potter addition.
    I suppose it is all about expectations going in. A lot of people seem to expect more from Disney and are disappointed when it is perceived to come up short. They tend to have lower expectations for Universal, it seems, so they get credit for exceeding those.

At least that is my perception of the marketplace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    that trend will continue since I no longer drink coffee.
    No coffee??!!

Now I'll continue reading through these responses with my grande starbucks safely in hand.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

şoş

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

The look of the bakery fits in with the rest of Main St. I will let you know my opinion of the treats after our October trip. As far as coffee, this is the best thing to happen to WDW since it opened. Relax, and enjoy a cup.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as they put a frappacino on the DP snack list I'll be happy !!
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of observations....one, I just went back and re-watched a video of the new Main Street bakery. It does not look like a typical Starbucks. Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?

Really, is this worth all the nashing of teeth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    A couple of observations....one, I just went back and re-watched a video of the new Main Street bakery. It does not look like a typical Starbucks. Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?

I don't think the décor of the bakery is in question. It's the fact that an outside company took over a shop on Main Street.
    Nobody cares if they sell Starbucks coffee in the MK, some of us just don't want Starbucks stores (or any other company) in the MK.

EPCOT is supposed to have authentic shops (food, clothes, souveniers...) from their native countries.

Comparing a Tea shop in EPCOT to a Main Street icon is comparing apples to oranges.

Post Thanks / Like

Two, I don't hear anyone losing their mind over the Twinings Tea shop in the United Kingdom pavillion. How is that different, other than the fact that more people know the name Starbucks thanTwinings?

Ok. I was going to put my two cents into the conversation but, after reading this I thought, "Uh...nevermind...this is absolutely a great point." So? the wind has been taken out of my sails. But...I will say that I'm not a fan of Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Peet's, or ANY big chain coffee shops and I'm a little upset about having to see one on Main St. I think the coffee is terrible at these places. I split my time between a resort area of MA and Boston and I can say that there's a BIG backlash against these huge companies and what passes for "gourmet coffee" on their menu. I find that now, most people I know prefer to frequent the small, independent cafes and coffee shops. Many roast their own beans, or buy from local roasters, and the quality is exceptional. Anyway, I digress. I guess my point is that I can't pick and choose what I complain about when it comes to Disney. If I'm going to be upset about changes to the Disney World I know and love, or the types of products they choose to serve, then I have to be upset about ALL of them, not just the ones I, personally, don't like.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    No coffee??!!

Now I'll continue reading through these responses with my grande starbucks safely in hand.
    Yeah, I know. I really had to give it up due to health issues that were being aggravated by coffee. Now that I've stopped drinking, I do feel a LOT better. I just enjoy the smell now.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Walt Disney always had outside sponsors for shops on Main Street from the beginning at Disneyland. How is this any different. It was sponsored by Nestle Toll House before. It wasn't sponsored by Walt Disney World. Nestle must have decided to end their contract so Starbucks started theirs. This too will change when Starbucks decides to end their contract. It's hard for me to believe that everyone on here who loves Disney so much blames Disney when a contract ends and they find someone else to open up a contract with. If it wasn't for Starbucks the Bakery may have closed until a sponsor was found.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck View Post
    I don't think the décor of the bakery is in question. It's the fact that an outside company took over a shop on Main Street.
    Nobody cares if they sell Starbucks coffee in the MK, some of us just don't want Starbucks stores (or any other company) in the MK.

EPCOT is supposed to have authentic shops (food, clothes, souveniers...) from their native countries.

Comparing a Tea shop in EPCOT to a Main Street icon is comparing apples to oranges.
    From what I understand, Main Street Bakery is staffed by DISNEY employees. That seems to NOT make it a Starbucks store.

Hmmmm....Twinings is ok because it is authentic British according to you. Starbucks isn't authentic American? Before anyone rails about Starbucks not being of the time period, I'm quite certain England of the time period didn't have k-cups!

Why is comparing authentic time period to authentic time period apples and oranges? It's not. For some reason Starbucks raises ire that noone else seems to.

Like I said, relax, and enjoy a better cup of coffee than you've ever had on Main Street, USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they don't actually serve tea at the Twinings shop, just the supplies to make tea. But yes, I get the jist of what you are saying.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    What made WDW unique was the attention to detail, the unique theming, the ability to take you away from ordinary world. It is becoming homogenized. Each resort used to have their own unique, signature items. This is less and less the case. Each land or attraction had its own merchandise, now it seems that every shop is the more and more similar and even carries stuff you can find at the mall or Walmart. Now McDonalds and Starbucks. Maybe others will continue to come, but for me WDW is not about the rides, it is about the incredibly detailed, unique and magical experience. I can go to the mall anytime for free.

I agree with you on the originality, and uniqueness of the places.
    I am an Ice cream snob, unfortunately. When I was younger, I worked at a place that made their own ice cream. It seems to me that nothing compares to that experience so eddy's is rather boring.

As to Starbucks, and modern amenities like Wi-Fi ...why shouldn't they be there, even on main st. The theming looks ok, and some of us like the coffee...

And if you don't like it, just keep walking, find another shop and enjoy that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickclub1955 View Post
    Walt Disney always had outside sponsors for shops on Main Street from the beginning at Disneyland. How is this any different. It was sponsored by Nestle Toll House before. It wasn't sponsored by Walt Disney World. Nestle must have decided to end their contract so Starbucks started theirs. This too will change when Starbucks decides to end their contract. It's hard for me to believe that everyone on here who loves Disney so much blames Disney when a contract ends and they find someone else to open up a contract with. If it wasn't for Starbucks the Bakery may have closed until a sponsor was found.
    Thank you for this breath of fresh air into what should really be a non-issue.

Look at the number of pavilions that have closed due to lack of sponsorship (Can anyone say Wonders of Life as a prime example?)

Starbucks did not change the exterior facade of Main Street USA in any major way. I have not been inside the shop, but I would think that it has not changed significantly either - as far as period design and architecture. GM, on the other hand, completely changed the outside and inside of their pavilion when they initially designed and built Test Track.

I get the fact that there are some people who despise Starbucks (for whatever reason)....I feel the same way about Apple and Apple products....and I would have preferred Seattle's Best or Joffrey's coffees to be served at WDW, but I will take what I can get. It's better, by far, than the Nescafe that had been sold in the parks and resorts for years.

Most, if not all, of the pastries and other goodies that had been sold at the MSB are still available, but just at other locations inside the park. AND this could actually alleviate some of the crowds around the MSB shortly after park opening by getting people to head for Gaston's (and deeper into the park) for their morning treats.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, Main Street Bakery is staffed by DISNEY employees. That seems to NOT make it a Starbucks store.

Hmmmm....Twinings is ok because it is authentic British according to you. Starbucks isn't authentic American? Before anyone rails about Starbucks not being of the time period, I'm quite certain England of the time period didn't have k-cups!

Why is comparing authentic time period to authentic time period apples and oranges? It's not. For some reason Starbucks raises ire that noone else seems to.

Like I said, relax, and enjoy a better cup of coffee than you've ever had on Main Street, USA.
    So I guess you would be ok with:

The Chapeau becoming Lids
    The Confectionary becoming Dlyans Candy Shop
    Main Street Atheltic Club becoming Sports Authority
    Disney Clothiers becoming Macys
    Main Street Cinema becoming UA Regal
    Harmony Barber Shop becoming Supercuts
    Cassie's Corner becoming Nathan's
    Plaza Ice Cream Parlor becoming Friendly's

Be careful what you wish for.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: