Quantcast Let's Keep Each Other Updated On Fridge Replacements... - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    No. None of have been replaced (see my post above). Whatever fridge is in any room would be one that had been fairly recently replaced, that they had deemed "safe." It's also possible it was overlooked. Fridges are still in every room on property. They've just been unplugged with a sign put on them explaining why they aren't to be used. I suppose one other possibility is a guest removed the sign and plugged it back in and housekeeping missed that.

...and I'll echo the above. My oldest daughter has a few friends that work at WDW in various capacities ...and they told her yesterday that the old "fridges" have, so far, only been unplugged ...and a sign placed upon them indicating that they are not working. (I would hope the signs would also warn the guests to not plug them in?)

....I've already picked out a cooler to bring (from one of many I have) that will fit nicely in the back of my wife's mini-van. I did a 'test-fit' to see which would be the best .....and which I could pack stuff into during our drive. It's got wheels and a handle ....so it'll be easy to get to the room from the car. It's sort of like having an 'insulated suitcase'.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just gonna say, what's going to stop someone from plugging it right back in and using it?

I keep going back-and-forth between trying to have a zen attitude towards it and dealing with not having one, and being really ticked off about the entire thing, especially since a fridge is supposed to come standard in a room and one can plan meals around having it to save money. It may just be a "convenience," but fridges are now fairly standard in most hotel chains. It really puts a bummer on the vacation. And I don't really want to go out and buy a soft-sided cooler just for one vacation (flying down and using ME so won't have a car).

It's just really frustrating and a let down.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AvonleaCF View Post
    I was just gonna say, what's going to stop someone from plugging it right back in and using it?

I keep going back-and-forth between trying to have a zen attitude towards it and dealing with not having one, and being really ticked off about the entire thing, especially since a fridge is supposed to come standard in a room and one can plan meals around having it to save money. It may just be a "convenience," but fridges are now fairly standard in most hotel chains. It really puts a bummer on the vacation. And I don't really want to go out and buy a soft-sided cooler just for one vacation (flying down and using ME so won't have a car).

Cindy, I notice you are staying at the Beach Club. The Hess station at the Boardwalk isn't too far from you. Maybe you can pick up a foam cooler there? You can just leave it in the room when you check out. I know that isn't ideal, but it is an option.

I think you were planning to order from a grocery delivery service before this issue was reported. Can you order a foam cooler from them?
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    an actual fridge and not that cooler type..hm could they have replaced some already.
    It's on and it is actual. It's plugged in and it seems cool. Sadly I have nothing to put in it. We flew down, and since I didn't think there would be a fridge I didn't order any water or groceries.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I agree and felt the same. I also was alternating between going with the flow and getting steamed. The rooms are advertised as having a fridge, and people make plans based on having that amenity.

On the other hand, Disney didn't expect this to happen and I'm certain they aren't happy about it either.

In the scheme of things, this isn't a catastrophe; it's just a bummer -- but a bummer that guests had nothing to do with, and I think there should be some kind of compensation offered. It's pretty crummy that their plan all along was just to let guests know via a photocopied note in the room.

As for the soft-sided, packable cooler... my thought is that it's strictly a cost-benefit analysis kind of thing. Will you recoup the cost of the cooler in savings from meals you didn't have to buy because you had the cooler? (fwiw, back in the days when moderates didn't have fridges, we would always get a styrofoam one, but man did those things leak. We would always end up keeping it in the tub.)

Post Thanks / Like

If I bring a cooler, I'd also bring a bunch of zip-lock bags and keep the ice in those, and then keep those in the cooler. Just a pain to replace the ice a few times a day.

I'm not sure what the cost savings are. In past trips, I pick up a bag of bagels from the resort gift shop, as well as some OJ and cream cheese. I've also stored left overs in the fridge (I'm the type that will happily eat a cold leftover burger for breakfast). Or I use the snack credit to get a fruit bowl on my way back to the room and store it in the fridge to have with breakfast.

I like having breakfast in the room without first having to go to the lobby/resort eatery and dealing with the crowds there.

Plus cold water and soda is a plus.

It won't ruin the vacation - of course not - but it is really disappointing and frustrating. Especially since I read the news here and from my travel agent; if I had booked the trip myself through Disney I wouldn't even know about it. I think that's bad on their part; they should inform guests if a promised amenity isn't there. People pack based on what's promised: shampoo, soap, hair dryer, etc.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

If I bring a cooler, I'd also bring a bunch of zip-lock bags and keep the ice in those, and then keep those in the cooler.

I'm not sure what the cost savings are. In past trips, I pick up a bag of bagels from the resort gift shop, as well as some OJ and cream cheese. I've also stored left overs in the fridge (I'm the type that will happily eat a cold leftover burger for breakfast). Or I use the snack credit to get a fruit bowl on my way back to the room and store it in the fridge to have with breakfast.

Plus cold water and soda is a plus.
    Good idea about the baggies! Might make it a little easier to fool with. We don't use the fridge for lots of things, but do grab some dessert goodies to bring back to the room sometimes, too. And we plan to bring water this time since we're driving and it'll be a wee bit warm.
    My DD suggested bringing the disposable cooler bags from the dollar store--I'm not sure exactly what they're called. Good for beach trips, etc. You can put the ice and items in them without having to actually have an ice chest, them throw them away when you're done. Might be helpful for some of you flying folks to throw these in your suitcase!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.

We'll be at the WL in a little under a month. I'll report back when I'm there.
    All WL fridges that needed to be have been replaced as of the 3rd week of July.

May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

Whew! Great to know! Thanks!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I can confirm that fridge is not replaced and is still in the room (unplugged with a note on it) at Port Orleans Riverside. At least for a garden view room in building 38.
    11/88 - Off-site (Pickett Suites/Now DoubleTree)
    4/91 - Way Off-site (Holiday Inn with band)
    4/93 - Way Off-site (Sheraton with band)
    1/02 - Off-site (villa in Kissimmee)
    1/06 - Off-site (Windsor Palms Resort
    1/07 - Off-site (Celebrity Orlando)
    1/08 - Off-site (Sheraton Vistana Villages)

Post Thanks / Like

It's like people preparing for a snow storm! You'd think they'd never be able to get a cold drink at Disney again!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    It's like people preparing for a snow storm! You'd think they'd never be able to get a cold drink at Disney again!

.....not quite sure it's the "can't get a cold drink" factor that has so many concerned. (the trusty ice machines are always available).

.....in general, a WDW vacation is not cheap ...for lack of a better term. And, as such, I think what plays a larger role in triggering concerns, is that many people have their WDW travel budget figured out to the last penny ...with food being a big chunk of that bottom line. The plan to bring food, or have it delivered to their rooms as part of minimizing the outlay of $$ could amount to a savings of +$100/day ....which is nothing to shrug off.

....I can tell you that this year's WDW trip (at the end of this month) is one in which we will be more budget conscious than in earlier years. And although we don't bring / or need food items such as milk, cereal, etc., ...we do usually have lots of 'snacks' to have in the room. (though none need refrigeration ...since I drive from NJ). Of course, I do bring an assorted case of beer with me ...and it's nice to have a cold brew at the ready ...and have it cost me about $1.50/each ....rather than the $5/beer at the bar.

....on the other end of the spectrum is the "hospitality factor" ...where, a certain grouping of amenities is advertised as part of the 'package' ....and one of them is missing. There's a large amount of planning involved for a vacation ....and then to have to make alternate plans to make up for a missing amenity ....can add to the stress.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

This dilemma actually gives me a good idea. I have a soft side cooler that I may just bring as a carry on. It'll be my "Man Purse"! It's a decent size and zips shut. I'll just throw some extra socks or sandals or whatever into it for the flight down and use it as a cooler when we get there. We are going to try and avoid anything but carry-ons for convenience and to eliminate the baggage fee. I'll have to see if it's soft enough to put under a seat.
    We don't go til Christmas so they may have some things worked out by then. We don't really need a fridge anyway so no biggee.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

Good to know, thanks! We'll be there before we know it.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine is at Pop now, and has no fridge.
    I had down on Saturday to stay at AS Music and will check in
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

My SIL just checked into YC and she has a frig.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    A friend of mine is at Pop now, and has no fridge.
    I had down on Saturday to stay at AS Music and will check in
    ...thanks for the update ....I head south on the great trek to the land of mouse ....and POP ....in about 11 hours
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Refrigerators

We had a split stay at POR and YC last week. Unplugged refrigerators in all 5 rooms at POR and working refrigerators in all 5 at YC.

Post Thanks / Like

We indeed had a working fridge (and looked to be brand new...it was larger than the old ones and had different temp control knob than I remember) at the WL 2 weeks ago.

Interestingly, I noted that the WL Mercantile ALSO sold foam coolers along with the groceries. So, other gift shops may also have them in stock.

Our fridge worked very well (almost too well...froze my son's GoGo squeeze pouches). It was very loud though. As loud as the full sized refrigerator in my kitchen. Just a fair warning. I thought our A/C unit was broken, but the noise was from the new fridge.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I've still got 99 days, but does anyone know about ASMovies, yet? I'll need somewhere to stash my insulin. We are driving, so we can bring a cooler if necessary, but with 5 of us, I'd rather not take up space in both the car and the room.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: