Quantcast Rude Cast Members

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rude Cast Members

We have had the worst of luck with finding nice cast members on our trip... And I understand it must be hard dealing with non-compliant people, but I think when you have someone not doing anything wrong you shouldn't be reprimanded... Anywho I'll explain we were at AK and everybody had picked out who they wanted to sit by and it so happened the person in front of the line was sitting by themselves. The cast member did not like that. We got all situated and he got onto my brother for not filling in all the empty numbers on Everest and all he had to do was put a single rider with on the empty number which is what he ended up doing in the end... Anyways it was just the fact that he got mad at my brother for not doing what he wanted...
    Next we were on Soarin' and an attendant told my brother (once again) while he was in the middle of using it, that he did NOT need the middle strap, which I thought was weird since he was a little below the arrow, but we didn't question him seeing as we didn't want a repeat of AK haha. However he came back around and looked at my brother and said "I told you you need that middle strap," and my grandma said "oh I'm sorry I thought you said he didn't so I told him not to" he then looked directly at her and with a horrible attitude said "I just told him to and I looked directly at him, didn't you see me?"
    Sorry for the long post just had to vent and express my disappointment with these cast members

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'll get much sympathy. Sounds like your group isn't listening and following directions. Why make it harder on CMs?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you felt reprimanded. You say you didn't do anything wrong, but then you pointed out the CM got mad at your brother "for not doing what he wanted." The CMs aren't just directing people on their own whims. They're trying to do their jobs with crowd control and safety. When your group ignored the CM's directions on Everest, it made his job harder, and that's probably what he reacted to.

In the second case, it sounded like a simple miscommunication, and the CM probably could have reacted better, but again, he was trying to do his job in keeping everyone safe.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

If you listen to the cast member's instructions, everything will go smoother and more quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I get what all of guys are saying its just that we were listening it was just chaotic we try to do everything the cast member says to make it easier on them, it's just that they both caught an attitude when things didn't automatically go right. I could see it being better by them asking with words such as please and thank you not a snappy "I said get up here in this spot" (Everest guy) and the whole encounter with the Soarin' guy
    But don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with what you guys responded and I appreciate y'all's responses :Mickey:

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has an off day now and then, but feeling like you're being yelled at or reprimanded is never fun, especially while on vacation.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Everyone has an off day now and then, but feeling like you're being yelled at or reprimanded is never fun, especially while on vacation.
    Couldn't agree more, it actually upset my brother haha he thought he really upset the cast members which he doesn't like doing, but I just explained to him that I'm sure they get a lot of worse behaved people and its all good

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a few years back, my dad and I were waiting for the Beauty and the Beast show at HS, and the CM directing "traffic" was literally yelling at people if they weren't sitting close enough and he was completely hateful to this one poor mom who was trying to save space for her family that I think had gone to the restrooms (or something like that). I thought she was going to cry. It was completely uncalled for behavior, and it upset me for her. I realize that he was just "doing his job" and trying to pack as many people in the theater as possible, but still. When you are paying that much money for vacation, to be treated like that...I would have gotten his name and sent a lengthy message to Disney about that behavior. It sounds like you had some miscommunication, and I'm sorry they reacted like that! Hope everyone was able to brush it off.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefFlyingEagle1996 View Post
    I get what all of guys are saying its just that we were listening it was just chaotic we try to do everything the cast member says to make it easier on them, it's just that they both caught an attitude when things didn't automatically go right. I could see it being better by them asking with words such as please and thank you not a snappy "I said get up here in this spot" (Everest guy) and the whole encounter with the Soarin' guy
    But don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with what you guys responded and I appreciate y'all's responses :Mickey:
    If you don't mind, I'll disagree with some responses for you. There is absolutely no reason for a CM to react the way they did in the circumstances you describe -and it has nothing to do with the money you spent on your vacation. We're talking basic customer service skills, of which Disney used to strive(and I would hope still does) to offer at the highest levels. Not saying that a CM has to be nice and sweet irregardless of the situation, I'm sure there are times when they would need to forcefully get the point across -as in actual safety concerns. The fact is, I've seen it done hundreds of times in just the right way -where the CM got the point across without being rude. I probably would have mentioned the situation to a manager -if nothing else, to help them fix a potential issue. If the CM couldn't stay calm, maybe they're better suited for a different position. Not to say it's easy under the conditions, but if it was easy anyone could do it.
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a problem with a ride cm. Have seen a few stressed out and really can't blame them. I have had problems in restaurants with cms and the attitude they have sometimes. I tell them in my way that they will not talk down to me and things seem to work out. Everyone fellows the rules and things should be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAN View Post
    There is absolutely no reason for a CM to react the way they did in the circumstances you describe -and it has nothing to do with the money you spent on your vacation. We're talking basic customer service skills, of which Disney used to strive(and I would hope still does) to offer at the highest levels. Not saying that a CM has to be nice and sweet irregardless of the situation, I'm sure there are times when they would need to forcefully get the point across -as in actual safety concerns. The fact is, I've seen it done hundreds of times in just the right way -where the CM got the point across without being rude. I probably would have mentioned the situation to a manager -if nothing else, to help them fix a potential issue. If the CM couldn't stay calm, maybe they're better suited for a different position. Not to say it's easy under the conditions, but if it was easy anyone could do it.
    Well said
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAN View Post
    If you don't mind, I'll disagree with some responses for you. There is absolutely no reason for a CM to react the way they did in the circumstances you describe -and it has nothing to do with the money you spent on your vacation. We're talking basic customer service skills, of which Disney used to strive(and I would hope still does) to offer at the highest levels. Not saying that a CM has to be nice and sweet irregardless of the situation, I'm sure there are times when they would need to forcefully get the point across -as in actual safety concerns. The fact is, I've seen it done hundreds of times in just the right way -where the CM got the point across without being rude. I probably would have mentioned the situation to a manager -if nothing else, to help them fix a potential issue. If the CM couldn't stay calm, maybe they're better suited for a different position. Not to say it's easy under the conditions, but if it was easy anyone could do it.
    100% Agree.

Second, I see you are new to Intercot so WELCOME!! Nice to have you!

As some of us are "seasoned" here, we may not agree with all that is posted, but we do need to be mindful of how our posts come across, and lately it seems that posts are rather snarky to new[er] members, and I don't really think that's the kind of magic we want to spread here

It appears that you would have had an open space any way from the way I'm reading it right? So I agree, they could put a single rider in. I've only ever encountered one rude CM thus far thankfully.
    It was just a few weeks ago and I'm still contemplating writing Disney.
    I'm a teacher and my son is actually Autistic and in a self containted ESE classroom. His class took a field trip to AK. While loading on the Dino ride, one of the little girls [age 6], became frightened and started crying.
    The CM came over and rudely said "We can't have crying children on a ride and you need to hurry up because we have to keep the ride moving!"

I understand flow for sure and keeping a ride moving, however, a CM should NEVER address a customer [especially compliment!] like this. And hello, if you can't have crying children [NEVER heard of that rule! lol], maybe they should close WDW!
    She was beyond rude.

Anyway, sorry you encountered that. Hope the rest of your trip was magical
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Something to keep in mind is what one guest may consider totally rude behavior, the next guest wouldn't even bat an eye. People perceive attitude and behavior of others very differently.

My sister in law always says "did you hear how rude that cashier was to me", and I honestly always think SIL is crazy because I didn't notice the person being rude at all. Perhaps not overly friendly, but definitely not rude, in my opinion. Often times what I really want to tell SIL is that if she thought the cashier was rude she should hear herself sometimes. Lol. She isn't the nicest person I know, and is both rude and unfriendly rather often.

Also, I do always find ourselves coming across more rude CMs in Disney in the hotter months. Not that it excuses rude behavior, but I can understand after a long, hot shift, dealing with hot grumpy guests all day, it must be hard to keep up the happy disposition.

In any case, I am sorry the OP felt their interactions of CMs were less than magical on their trip.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

If I can deal with countless rude patients under ridiculously stressed situations in a hospital without losing my COOL then I don't think it is too much to ask a CM to not be rude to people who are on vacation - and yes, spending a ton of $$$ that they possibly saved up for years and worked extra hard for. Even if someone is being crazy, or having disregard, then it should be dealt with professionally and in a non-degrading way. For a CM to talk to a grown adult in that way is so uncalled for. From what you are telling us it seemed like a simple misunderstanding. Which happens I'm sure A LOT when you are in an environment that can be over stimulating sometimes. Most people are well meaning and not out to cause any trouble, really. If those CM's can't even handle a simple task like putting people in a line and dealing with society then perhaps they should be working at a desk somewhere and they are in the wrong place.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Perspective time!

CMs work for such a small amount of compensation (read: money) that it's silly.

They need thousands of them.

Everyone is human.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP--I do have empathy for you. While I'm sure the miscommunication did not ruin your vacation, I can imagine it put a bit of a damper on the moment. People in customer service positions do have an obligation to be polite and tactful in their work practices. Like Amanda, I deal with people in situations that are incredibly stressful and no matter what someone says or how they act, I am an ambassador of my place of employment and try to to act accordingly--compensation (believe me) has nothing to do with it. Does this mean we can't cut someone some slack if they have a "moment"? Of course not, but neither should that be considered acceptable.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

As always...there's a couple of ways to go about this:

1) Posting about your "encounters" with "bad" Cast Members on message boards will fall on deaf ears - with Disney, I mean. It doesn't do any good to vent on a message board that Disney (the company) doesn't read *much*, if at all.

2) You can report your experience to any Walt Disney World manager right then and there. Ask any Cast Member to get ahold of one for you.

3) On your way out of the park, you can stop by Guest Relations and fill out a form, which will then be forwarded to the "offending" Cast Member's area manager.

(Personally - and unfortunately - I've been "exposed" to #3, and it nearly cost me my job at the parks. *Fortunately*, though, we had a union, and we figured out that the letter wasn't about *me* - it was another "Jim" that worked on the steam trains at the time.)
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

When I read post like this I feel the need to chime in. My husband and I have held FL resident APs for nearly 3 years and have made almost weekly trips to the parks all 3 of those years. However, due to the decrease in CM friendliness and overall park experience, we have decided not to renew this year. Instead, we just got APs for Busch and are about to for Universal as well. We began noticing a decline in CMs last year and had a horrible experience with one during the winter of last year at Epcot. My husband's grandfather was visiting from Peru and we rented him a wheelchair to use in the park. This was our first time renting a chair and no one gave us any rules or guidelines on where you could and couldn't take them. We were exiting the park and thought we would be able to use it to get to our car. When my husband went to leave, the CM yelled at him "Where do you think you're going?' to which my husband answered, "To our car." The CM continued to yell "Not with that chair you're not!". Then he literally pushed in between my husband and the chair to read the name on the back. We understand if we are not allowed to take it beyond the park and I believe all CMs (or anyone in a professional setting for that matter) should give guests the benefit of the doubt that they aren't aware of the rules before jumping to conclusions, and they should also be sure to explain the dos and don'ts when you rent them. Anyhow, we did write a letter and we did receive an answer. But still, it has really made us think about future visits to the World. We recently went to Universal for the first time during Memorial Day weekend and we were very impressed with the friendliness of all their workers. We didn't expect them to impress us, but they did. To make this short, it sounds like you didn't mean to cause trouble nor did you try to respond in a sarcastic manner when you received attitude from the CMs you encountered; therefore, they had no reason to be like that toward you. It bothers me to think guests that don't frequent the parks as much as we do are now noticing this behavior from CMs. We have even had CMs stand and talk with one another while we wait to be helped and they don't stop and when they do, they treat you like you're inconveniencing them somehow. Please email Disney to tell them about your experience. The more they hear it, maybe they will take some sort of action. I'm beginning to think Traditions needs to become a yearly class in order to keep employment and for Disney to try to maintain proper guest treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Any way you cut it, there are polite and not-so-polite ways to direct people. Disney IS chaotic and for a "newbie" it may not be clear what the directions are, or why. CM's should take care to be considerate in their tone! I was crushed on our second-last trip by a bus driver. I WAS in the wrong, but because I made a mistake, not because I was trying to be "bad". . He made me feel stupid and like I was just trying to make his job difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Over worked and under paid employees would be my guess. Maybe upper management should start paying attention to the needs of the front line employees. When the workers start feeling like no one cares about them it shows.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: