Quantcast CM dampening my magic

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CM dampening my magic

I wondered if anyone came across this and I hope this doesn't sound petty. On our trip last month to MK we were in the shop that sells all of beautiful glass and a CM was telling another CM about her terrible stomach flu she had. I know it was awful of me to ease drop but that shop is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. It just bummed me out a little and couldn't wait to get out of there. I love the illusion that nothing goes wrong in Disney and no one is ever sick and this just took me back to real life.
    Offsite 94
    Offiste 2001
    Offsite 2004
    AMO 2007
    POP April 2009 Oh yeah!!!
    AOA March 2013
    Pop 2015
    AK-Kidani 2016
    Beach Club 2016

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ehh...sorry to hear

When I was a CM, I tried not to talk to other CM's about "real-world" (outside of work) issues.

I *loved* what I did, and tried to keep it that way for my guests
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry it took away some of the magic for you.

I try to remember that the CMs are only human. Now foul language, bashing of other CMs or Disney in general, and complaining about their job would bother me. Talking about getting over their illness wouldn't really bother me much unless they were going into graphic detail while checking me out or interacting with me in any way.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's hard to remember that this is just their job. People chat on the job. It's human nature, and besides, on an 8 hour shift, it's going to be very hard to never talk about "real world" stuff, never mind boring. I suppose those CMs were having that conversation due to the general lack of guests in the store at the time. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'd let it bother me, as mentioned, they have real lives too and if you're there for 8+ hrs a day there's bound to be some conversations about real life stuff.

Remember too, that most of the CMs don't make much over minimum wage. At $9-10 an hr many of them don't have the ability to just take a day or several days off when they get sick without feeling it in the pocket book.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Remember too, that most of the CMs don't make much over minimum wage. At $9-10 an hr many of them don't have the ability to just take a day or several days off when they get sick without feeling it in the pocket book.
    Didn't I *wish*...LOL...

Was there for almost ten years and wasn't making that much when I left in 2010....

Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, this is going to sound bad so try not to think too poorly of me, but I dislike that anywhere! I just don't like hearing conversations like that from people at grocery stores, department stores, and definitely not restaurants. I know I'm just being silly about it, but sometimes I don't want to hear about what "so and so" said about "this and that," I just want you to politely help me with my purchase/meal!

Post Thanks / Like

i know the feeling. last trip I walked into the Canada shop to look around, as looking in the shops is one of my favorite things to do. But when I walked in, some supervisor (im guessing) was conducting a strict inventory (which sounded almost like an audit or interrogation) with the Canadian staff. I wasn't acknowleged at any point, and eventually left because I felt like I was in the way. Worse, i could have easily stolen something as they were so worried about numbers to notice me. I felt like it was wrong of them to be doing that while open and was very unwelcoming. Hope nobody else had to deal with that, but I'm sure they did.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Being a nurse, I don't think that particular conversation would bother me. After all, everyone gets sick now and then and I empathize. That said, I do get irritated about certain topics being discussed in front of customers in any store--i.e. what party everyone is going to after work, how bored they are at work, who is going out with who, etc. Usually this is because the clerk barely acknowledges me and favors talking to another employee over talking to me. Fortunately I have never had that experience at Disney World. Wish I could say the same about the clerks in my local Walmart and Target. :/
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I got my real world dose of a CM way back when on my honeymoon. This is no joke - she was making fun of my outfit. I was mortified, and it put a pretty good damper on my day. Now granted, it was a sweatsuit (one of those 'swishy' ones) and looking back it WAS pretty hideous , but she was quite obvious about it. She was young, and no doubt thought it was cute to be talking like that in front of two other (male) CMs.

My point is, up until then, I thought CMs could do no wrong. I'd always had such amazing interactions with them, and that less than magical encounter reminded me that they are definitely only human.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a second job at a jewelry store and if we are talking about anything like that, I stop until the customer leaves the store. They don't need that much info about me!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a total germaphobe and I would RUN from any store where an employee was talking about having a recent stomach flu! I also think that it's an unprofessional conversation to have in front of customers in any store, not just Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, it's not typically what people want to hear! But I try and remember that CM's are perfectly human and they have a life outside of their jobs. People can downplay retail jobs, but they're immense amounts of work, especially when your job entails you being chipper no matter your personal circumstances! Everyone has an off day- maybe it was that cast member's day.

I just delight in the fact that at WDW, it's not the standard, and is (almost) always the exception.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    Honestly, this is going to sound bad so try not to think too poorly of me, but I dislike that anywhere! I just don't like hearing conversations like that from people at grocery stores, department stores, and definitely not restaurants. I know I'm just being silly about it, but sometimes I don't want to hear about what "so and so" said about "this and that," I just want you to politely help me with my purchase/meal!
    LauraLeeH, I agree with you. I don't want to hear about anyone's personal issues when I'm there to spend my money. I think it's unprofessional. Unfortunately, it appears to be more and more prevalent.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I have been put off was actually at Disneyland, not World. I was in the restroom and 2 cleaning ladies were in there talking loudly about something and swearing. They knew I was there because I was standing right there washing my hands, but they did not care. They continued their loud converstaion and F bombs. That is unacceptable at amy place of employment if you ask me.

Other than that the occassional personal conversations don't phase me. I have encountered plenty of CM's over the years that were so nice and engaging. It happens. We're human.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I've posted this once before but it's the only bad CM experience I've ever had.

My wife and I went to WDW for my 30th bday, I had my birthday pin on and walked by a CM outside of TS Island. He looked at me and made an innapropriate "innuando" about about what I may have gotten for my birthday...

It was a comment typical of a teen age boy and he probably thought he was joking around. (I would expect something g like that from one of my buddies at home). Either way it was way out of line for a CM. looking back on it I probably should have reported him in.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    I've posted this once before but it's the only bad CM experience I've ever had.

My wife and I went to WDW for my 30th bday, I had my birthday pin on and walked by a CM outside of TS Island. He looked at me and made an innapropriate "innuando" about about what I may have gotten for my birthday...

It was a comment typical of a teen age boy and he probably thought he was joking around. (I would expect something g like that from one of my buddies at home). Either way it was way out of line for a CM. looking back on it I probably should have reported him in.
    Now, something like this would upset me...greatly! And I probably would have something to say about it
    But CM's tallking about their life with their co-workers ... not at all. I talk to my co-workers. That's what you do at work. This is their daily life and honestly I can't believe someone would say that it ruined their trip by taking away the magic...
    I would say the fellow guest that is yelling at their kid to speed up while pushing the empty stroller thru the blazing hot sun, or the guy that just called his wife a b,or the special needs kid that almost runs you down because he is over tired-yelling at his mom making a scene, and potentially dangerous takes away more of the magic than a CM telling her friend she had a stomach flu.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    LauraLeeH, I agree with you. I don't want to hear about anyone's personal issues when I'm there to spend my money. I think it's unprofessional. Unfortunately, it appears to be more and more prevalent.
    This comment struck me..While I do not really want or need to hear their personal conversations-it's no big deal. It's a puiblic place and people talk to each other...But to say it's unprofessional insinuates that these are professionals.
    I am not saying that CM's don't take their job seriously, they do. I have many more stories of awesome CM's than I do bad ones...But professional? really? they get paid minimum wage-They have to deal with more BS in a day than most of us deal with in a month on our jobs..Most of them will work there a summer, maybe two (at least the young ones, cuz lets be honest, this is not a career that is going to let you travel the world and retire early)
    I think that people put too much of the reposnibility of their good trip on the CM's. It's not their responsibility to make sure you have a good vacation.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shev View Post
    I wondered if anyone came across this and I hope this doesn't sound petty. On our trip last month to MK we were in the shop that sells all of beautiful glass and a CM was telling another CM about her terrible stomach flu she had. I know it was awful of me to ease drop but that shop is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. It just bummed me out a little and couldn't wait to get out of there. I love the illusion that nothing goes wrong in Disney and no one is ever sick and this just took me back to real life.
    The CMs at Disney are the best you're going to find anywhere for the absolute **** money they make. Period.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    This comment struck me..While I do not really want or need to hear their personal conversations-it's no big deal. It's a puiblic place and people talk to each other...But to say it's unprofessional insinuates that these are professionals.
    I am not saying that CM's don't take their job seriously, they do. I have many more stories of awesome CM's than I do bad ones...But professional? really? they get paid minimum wage-They have to deal with more BS in a day than most of us deal with in a month on our jobs..Most of them will work there a summer, maybe two (at least the young ones, cuz lets be honest, this is not a career that is going to let you travel the world and retire early)
    I think that people put too much of the reposnibility of their good trip on the CM's. It's not their responsibility to make sure you have a good vacation.
    My comment wasn't intended for CMs (i think they do an unbelievable job and have several posts commending them), but the workplace, in general.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness