Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread

Mods, please feel free to move or change, but I didn't see a thread dedicated solely to training. Some of us were starting to write about it in the main Meet thread, but I thought it might be better to start a new one so that doesn't get too muddled with other things.

Well, what do I mean? I think it would be fun for people who are planning to do the 5K, or any of the runs for that matter to check in here from time to time and give encouragement to each other. If someone has hit a plateau maybe someone on here would have advice, etc.
    You can check in weekly, daily, however often you want! I know I would really appreciate if people would get involved with this, as I really don't have anyone at home. DH says he's going to do it, but I'm already into my 7th week of C25k and so far he isn't showing the initiative.

My problem is my feet. I no longer can complete the program as scheduled because of the pain in my feet which then radiates to my ankles and shins. Luckily I was selected to particapte in a market survey that paid me $100. I won't get the check for another month but now I feel good about spending some money at Fleet Feet. I plan to head there tomorrow.

How are the rest of you doing? Have you trained in the past or are you a newbie like me? What has been easy? What has been hard?
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! I need all the encouragement I can get! This meet is totally my motivation to hit the gym!

I'm training for the 5k. So far it's going pretty well. I'm using the couch to 5k app, and I really like it so far. I'm a total newbie. I have wanted to lose some weight for a while, so this is awesome.

I am struggling with a blister right now. Two nights ago I wore the wrong socks to the gym and my new running shoes, which I love, rubbed the back of my ankle. The blister burst and running tonight was very painful. I'm soaking it now, and will have to find a better method for protecting it tomorrow.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea starting this thread!

Maryanne, first of all, good job on completing the first 7 weeks of C25K! That's awesome! Don't get discouraged. Injuries and/or pain can sideline you, but I encourage you to fix it now before it gets worse!

Get thee to Fleet Feet, stat!

Shin, ankle, and foot pain are very common while running, especially if you are new at it. It's often to blame on the wrong shoes, so hopefully, you will be able to find some that work better for you.

Often, if this type of pain is minor, you just need to "power through" it. I get pains from time to time, and the only thing I can blame it on is the weather, because I get the pains some days running and not others! Seriously, the other day, I ran the same 3.5 miles I have been running for years, except everything in both legs ached and ached the whole time! I ran yesterday and had none of that. Us women can often blame hormones as well.

Take a couple days off, do some good stretching (including stretching your feet!), and try again with some new shoes.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread Maryanne!

My goal is to run Goofy, so my training program has been just running nonstop. In fact, I'm on my treadmilldesk as I type this.

J/K! I am planning on running just the half marathon but haven't started any half training programs just yet. I need to work up my running baseline first before I can even think about a long run. Right now I've been averaging 5k distance on the treadmill with an average time of 40 minutes, trying to keep my pace to 12:30/mile with a couple of walk breaks. If my legs feel good I'll try for 4.5 miles but no more as I want to avoid injury as much as possible. Somewhere around mile 2 I start to get tired and have to dig deep for the extra energy or take a longer walk break than I normally would.

I went to Fleet Feet a couple weeks ago and am in love with the shoes I got there. I am still fighting blisters each time I run but they are getting better. I have found that using a couple strips of athletic tape in the areas where my feet rub against some stitching have helped reduce the blisters from swelling up and bursting. I learned from 20 years of ballet that blisters are a pain (literally!) but once they heal and callus over you'll find it's not a problem. Proper socks are definitely key- I got some on sale at Target called Duo Dry something.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread!

I did the Wine & Dine in November and that was my first running experience. I would really recommend the trainings that are on the runDisney website. They really helped me with keeping on schedule and not injuring myself. Unfortunately, I haven't done much since then, but I'm planning on getting started again this weekend.

I was slow, 15 minute mile, but I finished and wasn't last so I met both of my goals! I was so much fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Good luck everyone!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

The right socks changed my run-life forever.

I wear "Feetures" - Love them, but they are not inexpensive - I can usually expect to pay $12/pair. I like the light cushion ones, but they have all kinds. My husband wears Balega's and those work well for him.

For blisters/hot-spots the best thing for me is to keep them from forming. On a runners website someone recommended Flexitol Heel Balm. I put that on my toes, all over my feet where I might get blisters, really. It is good for not only keeping away blisters, but keeping your feet nice and soft. I don't use it all the time (but would if I needed it), and when I use it on long runs, I just use a little. It works really well for me.

If I don't do the heel balm, I use Body Glide on my feet - the solid kind like a deodorant stick- not the tube. It works well, too!

Now this works for me, but if I get blisters, it is usually on my toes, never had problems on the bottoms of my feet or heels - so I know it helps with toe blisters not sure about blisters other places as I never get hot spots there (maybe that's why!).

If I already have a blister, I use moleskin to protect it, it does the trick for me.

Good luck to all of you!

A little about my running history....
    I ran my very first mile without stopping on February 25, 2012 at age 41.
    Last Race: WDW Marathon Jan 2013 - My first Marathon - I did it!
    Next Race: Austin Capital 10K April 7, 2013 - Y'all come on out, it's a great time!
    Training for: Goofy 2014
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Fleet Feet today! They didn't have the treadmill at my local one, but the gentleman helping me out had me walk around the store in my socks to evaluate my gait. I tried on 3 different pairs of shoes- Brooks, Saucony, and Asics. None of these really passed my "ugly" test that I mentioned in the other thread, but the Saucony pair was the cutest with some hot pink and yellow; unfortunately they didn't feel supportive enough. The Brooks pair just didn't fit right. One size was too snug and the next size too roomy. I went with the Asics. I could definitely feel the difference. He tried to sell me on some inserts and said they recommend everyone use some kind of insert. I wasn't ready to spend another $40 so I figured I'd just use Dr. Scholl's I had bought for my old sneaks. Big mistake! More on that later...

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I am struggling with a blister right now. Two nights ago I wore the wrong socks to the gym and my new running shoes, which I love, rubbed the back of my ankle. The blister burst and running tonight was very painful. I'm soaking it now, and will have to find a better method for protecting it tomorrow.
    Cer gave some great blister advice. Take it seriously! My friend thought she was taking care of a blister but it was on a high impact area of her foot, and continuing to run on it became so painful she had to go to the dr. She had rubbed away almost 2 layers of skin!

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Shin, ankle, and foot pain are very common while running, especially if you are new at it. It's often to blame on the wrong shoes, so hopefully, you will be able to find some that work better for you.

Often, if this type of pain is minor, you just need to "power through" it.
    Thanks! As I alluded to earlier, I had a LOT of pain today. 5 minutes into running my left instep area was throbbing. Something told me to pull out those darn inserts, and once I did it was discomfort that I was able to "power through" as you said. Good to know that it's OK to have good days and bad. As the saying goes: "No pain, no gain!"

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Great thread Maryanne!

My goal is to run Goofy, so my training program has been just running nonstop. In fact, I'm on my treadmilldesk as I type this.
    You had me for a sec!

Proper socks are definitely key- I got some on sale at Target called Duo Dry something.
    Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    The right socks changed my run-life forever.

I wear "Feetures" - Love them, but they are not inexpensive - I can usually expect to pay $12/pair. I like the light cushion ones, but they have all kinds. My husband wears Balega's and those work well for him.
    I feel very lucky that I haven't had any issues with blisters yet! I bought a pair of Balega's at Fleet Feet to try them out. $11-$12 for ONE pair of socks is hard to stomach for my tight budget. I wore them on my run today and while I really did like them, they didn't feel THAT much better than my Target socks.

Quote Originally Posted by clausjo View Post
    I was slow, 15 minute mile, but I finished and wasn't last so I met both of my goals! I was so much fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again.
    Those are pretty much my goals! Finish, don't be dead last, and have fun. But even if you finish last... a finish is a finish in my eyes!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, ALL running shoes are ugly, so get over it.

Glad you found a good pair. I use Asics too and I love them, but my newest pair has a spot that is hurting me every time the forefoot flexes. Grrr...hope it just needs to be broken in.

I did have to also use inserts for several months back when I was suffering from Plantar Fascitis. I think the Dr. Scholl's are fine. I used the ones marked for "heel pain" and they were great. DH still uses those since he has recurring PF. We get them at Target for about $10 and they last a good 6 months.

I also use dry wick socks with a support band around the instep. Love these! If I don't use them, I get blisters.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, thought I'd jump in here.

I registered to run the Disneyland Half in September and have been working on the training for that. I actually started LAST September with the couch to 5 k program and am currently working on the 5k to 10k program that the company also put out. I'm only two weeks in but feel pretty good. I made out a calender that I put up right next to my front door that has the running schedule on it. It helps me keep focused on what I'm doing, and I have star sitckers that I put on it for each day I do the training. I was flipping through it last weekend and actually thought 'you know, I think this is very doable.' I missed my run yesterday because of work problems. I've been resisting getting up early to do my runs in the morning but may start thinking about it because I have a feeling that work issues will become a good excuse to skip runs. If I get them in first thing in the morning then anything that happens in the course of the day won't make me skip it. I'm going to do my run tonight to get back on my schedule.

I'm thinking of doing the Wine and Dine this year but there have been some complications with scheduling and may not be able to make it. I haven't cancled the hotel room yet, and hope things will work out.

Last year I would have laughed in your face if you told me that I'd be working to run a half marathon (or run anything, really). But have really worked on getting healthy. I joined weight watchers in June and have lost 51 pounds (still have another fifteen to reach my personal goal, but only five away from a healthy BMI).

So glad this thread was made up. Thanks!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post

You're welcome! Good luck with morning runs... I have never been a morning person. There is no way I'd be able to get up early enough to work out, shower, and get to a morning job! Right now I work part time while working on a Master's Thesis so I knew it was now or never... I may not have this kind of time again ever!

Nat, I actually asked the guy at Fleet Feet why they were all so ugly. He laughed and said he agreed, and that maybe it's because people just wear them to run and not for style. But then, with the Asics, he explained that there were different colors to indicate different "zones" which I found interesting. Mine aren't too bad... gray with purple and light blue piping, and blue shoe laces.

Today I ran for 25 mins and only had to walk for about 4 in the middle. I had no problems with my feet, yay! My calves were bringing me down a bit though, they felt like dead weight today.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    You're welcome! Good luck with morning runs... I have never been a morning person.
    Me either! I don't know how I'm going to get up at 3 a.m. to run on marathon weekend. I feel like I'm going to sleepwalk the first few miles until I wake up!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Good morning, thought I'd jump in here.

I registered to run the Disneyland Half in September and have been working on the training for that. I actually started LAST September with the couch to 5 k program and am currently working on the 5k to 10k program that the company also put out. I'm only two weeks in but feel pretty good. I made out a calender that I put up right next to my front door that has the running schedule on it. It helps me keep focused on what I'm doing, and I have star sitckers that I put on it for each day I do the training. I was flipping through it last weekend and actually thought 'you know, I think this is very doable.' I missed my run yesterday because of work problems. I've been resisting getting up early to do my runs in the morning but may start thinking about it because I have a feeling that work issues will become a good excuse to skip runs. If I get them in first thing in the morning then anything that happens in the course of the day won't make me skip it. I'm going to do my run tonight to get back on my schedule.

I'm thinking of doing the Wine and Dine this year but there have been some complications with scheduling and may not be able to make it. I haven't cancled the hotel room yet, and hope things will work out.

Last year I would have laughed in your face if you told me that I'd be working to run a half marathon (or run anything, really). But have really worked on getting healthy. I joined weight watchers in June and have lost 51 pounds (still have another fifteen to reach my personal goal, but only five away from a healthy BMI).

Before I post my own response to this I just wanted to say how much your post inspired me. You are EXACTLY where I hope to be in a year (like down to the exact time frame for training and specific weight loss goal) ... and your post gave me hope. So, thank you!!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I am SO HAPPY this thread was started. THANK YOU!

I am starting Week 8 of C25K tomorrow. I'm running my first 5k on St. Patrick's Day and I'm nervous that I won't be ready even though the program will technically be over. My pace so far (best was just under a 13 minute mile) doesn't seem fast enough to do a 5k in the time C25k expects you too, so I downloaded 5kto10k and will start that program once this ends. The way I see it, even if I have to walk a bit on St. Patty's day, my goal is to finish the first one.

I've started getting some pain in my knee... I have been debating if it is bad enough that I should seek out an ortho or just get a new pair of shoes. It doesn't hurt while I'm running but after I run it barks a bit, but not sharp-can't-walk-pain, more like "ow gotta limp and ice but I'll be fine" pain. When do you see a doctor about pain from running? I know everone and every situation is different - I could just use a guage if what I'm dealing with is normal aches and pains of trying something new or a possible problem.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can offer insight into changes in weight-loss-pace after starting a running program. I've been losing more slowly than I'm used to on WW and wonder if I should be increasing or decreasing consumption of anything specific because I'm running this time around.

Looking forward to participating in this thread!!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post

Also, I'm wondering if anyone can offer insight into changes in weight-loss-pace after starting a running program. I've been losing more slowly than I'm used to on WW and wonder if I should be increasing or decreasing consumption of anything specific because I'm running this time around.

Welcome! You're probably building muscle, which weighs more than fat but takes up less space on your body, which is why your number may not be going down as quickly as you'd like but you'll still see results when your total BMI goes down. I've noticed that adding more running into my routine does require more calories during the day in the form of snacks. I like a handfull of raw almonds over fat free plain greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey, or half a peanutbutter sandwich with a banana. Whatever you do, hydrate hydrate hydrate! The old rule of 8 glasses a day is not enough when you're adding higher intensity cardio into your routine. I've found some good nutrition articles on the Runners World magazine website.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I am SO HAPPY this thread was started. THANK YOU!

I am starting Week 8 of C25K tomorrow. I'm running my first 5k on St. Patrick's Day and I'm nervous that I won't be ready even though the program will technically be over. My pace so far (best was just under a 13 minute mile) doesn't seem fast enough to do a 5k in the time C25k expects you too, so I downloaded 5kto10k and will start that program once this ends. The way I see it, even if I have to walk a bit on St. Patty's day, my goal is to finish the first one.

I've started getting some pain in my knee... I have been debating if it is bad enough that I should seek out an ortho or just get a new pair of shoes. It doesn't hurt while I'm running but after I run it barks a bit, but not sharp-can't-walk-pain, more like "ow gotta limp and ice but I'll be fine" pain. When do you see a doctor about pain from running? I know everone and every situation is different - I could just use a guage if what I'm dealing with is normal aches and pains of trying something new or a possible problem.

Don't worry about running "fast enough" at this point. Just worry about finishing! There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a combo of walk/run/walk/run throughout the race. In fact, you might get a faster time by doing intervals and running faster during the run portions, than if you just jog the whole time. You'd be surprised.

As for the knee pain. It really depends on how long you have pain following the run. Is it for an hour, several hours, a day, more than a day? If you are not experiencing pain during the run, I'd say you don't have an injury, per se. However, if the pain lasts for a long time, or won't subside without the use of pain relievers, you should probably see a doctor and get it checked out. No need to see a specialist though, just your regular doc can do a quick check to see if it's something that needs to be investigated further or not. New shoes might be a good first step, in addition to taking a day off after every run. You may also benefit from some type of support brace for running. Many people require patellar support straps, or something similar, while they run.

When you have a true knee injury, the pain will not allow you to continue running, most of the time.

As for the weight loss. Here's a fact: WOMEN who exercise heavily usually DON'T lose weight as much as women who simply reduce calorie consumption (with no exercise). The female metabolism is very finicky. As soon as you start using up more calories, the body hangs onto fat like it's a life preserver and the ship is sinking. You have to remember that the female body's ultimate goal (biologically) is to maintain a pregnancy. Once you start making your body burn calories, it becomes VERY difficult to take off weight. So, what you are experiencing is very normal. The way to deal with it is to eat more. You need to eat to compensate for the calories you are burning while running. Most women require at least 1200 NET calories per day, for basic metabolic functions. If you are trying to lose weight, this will get you there. However, that means you need to eat 1200 calories PLUS whatever you burn off running. A basic mile run will burn 100 calories (give or take). So, if you run 3 miles one day, you will need to eat 1500 calories that day to net 1200.

Usually, when people plateau, or don't lose weight, it's because they are working out too hard and not eating enough. If you were on a 1200 calorie per day diet, but then you burned 600 calories doing a hard day's workout, and you only ate 1200 calories that day, your body would be sounding the "starvation" alarms, and the metabolism would slow down further to conserve energy. It's a tricky balancing act.

To sum up, when training hard, eat MORE! Just not too much.

This is where apps like MyFItnessPal come in really handy.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Thank you BOTH. I can't even begin to explain how nice it is to be able to get advice from people with expertise in this!! I don't really have anyone who is knowledgable about this stuff in my life and looking it up on the internet has given me a lot of mixed messages and is completely daunting!

The pain goes away pretty quick so I won't look for a specialist but will call my doctor to see if wearing something may help. Also, I've had My Fitness Pal but haven't used it since I started Weight Watchers. That being said, totally gonna start. Going to increase my water intake and start calulating calories as well as points.

I also want to share a mini ahievement: I finally broke 3 miles today and am doing a major happy dance!!! Feels great to know that I can do it!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site

Post Thanks / Like

I also want to share a mini ahievement: I finally broke 3 miles today and am doing a major happy dance!!! Feels great to know that I can do it!!
    That's awesome! It's so motivating to reach a goal that previously felt impossible!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

The pain goes away pretty quick so I won't look for a specialist but will call my doctor to see if wearing something may help.
    Some simple strengthening exercises may help as well. Running on a flat surface doesn't build muscle, really at all. However, if you run hills or incline your treadmill, you will start noticing more muscle build up in your legs. Knee pain can often be eliminated by strengthening quads, hamstrings, and shins. You can do this by doing squats, knee bends, and "tip toes." The tip toes is the key to strengthening the muscles that run down the sides of your knees. Stand with feet hip width apart, hold on lightly to a chair or something in front of you. Keeping your knees straight, lift your heels up until you are on your "tip toes", hold for a count of 1, then back down. Repeat 20 times. Do this about 3 times a day. After each set, stretch out your calves. Very important to keep your legs straight, and also sort of tuck your pelvis under to make a "straight line" out of your spine. This exercise works wonders for building knee support.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    Great idea! I need all the encouragement I can get! This meet is totally my motivation to hit the gym!

I'm training for the 5k. So far it's going pretty well. I'm using the couch to 5k app, and I really like it so far. I'm a total newbie. I have wanted to lose some weight for a while, so this is awesome.
    Hi Dopey’s Girl,

I don’t know where in St. Paul you reside, but I just wanted to mention that the Running Room at Grand Ave. and Lexington has a run club that is open to the public. They meet on Wednesdays at 6:00 PM and Sundays at 8:30 AM. Running with a group makes a world of difference when training for an event. It makes it so much more enjoyable.

This time of year, at least on Wednesdays it’s just your hard core runners, but in the next month or so that should start to change.

They also have clinics during the week that are designed to help new runners with their training. Stop and talk to them and they will be happy to talk to you about what they have.

Every one there including the hard core’s are very supportive and will be more than happy to help you along your journey.

Also I have heard a little bit about a training group associated with Jeff Galloway (the official Run Disney trainer) that is starting on March 6th at 6:00 PM and is meeting at Minneapolis Washburn High School. There is a fee for this but it could be very informative.

Good luck and Happy running.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I think it would be fun for people who are planning to do the 5K, or any of the runs for that matter to check in here from time to time and give encouragement to each other. If someone has hit a plateau maybe someone on here would have advice, etc.
    You can check in weekly, daily, however often you want! I know I would really appreciate if people would get involved with this, as I really don't have anyone at home. DH says he's going to do it, but I'm already into my 7th week of C25k and so far he isn't showing the initiative.
    This is my story. It’s not exactly C25K but hopefully it is some what inspiring.

I used to do a little running back in the late 90’s when I was a thirty something, approximately 2 to 2.5 miles three times a week, I developed a sore knee after a few years and quite.

I started up again in the mid 2000’s to participate in an employer sponsored weight loss program. Again running about 2 miles three times a week. In October of 2007 I was in line for an event for the Epcot Food and Wine festival and the gentleman in front of me had a brass colored replica of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror hanging around his neck. I asked where he got it and he told me about the Tower of Terror 13K.

I thought that medal was the coolest thing I had ever seen and I just had to get me one. Now going from running 2 miles a day to being able to run 8 miles seemed like a daunting task but I figured I had two years to get there so the training began.

Well 2009 arrived, I completed the race, received my medal and had an absolute blast and a feeling of accomplishment that I had never felt before in my 52 years of living. The only down side was that this was the final Tower of Terror 13K that Disney was going to run. Bummer.

Shortly after the race Disney announced that they were replacing the 13K with the new Food and Wine festival half marathon. Running 8 miles wasn’t too bad but another 5 miles more to complete a half marathon sure seemed like another daunting task but I thought it would be fun to be part of an inaugural event so back to training it was. Once again I surprised my self and completed the race and received a medal.

Now during the training process for the half I hooked up with some people that ran marathons and I learned about the Jeff Galloway training method among many other helpful tips and since running that first half marathon I have run the St. Paul Winter Carnival half marathon, the inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler and the 2013 Walt Disney World full marathon and I am registered to run the Twin Cities marathon this October and considering running the 2014 WDW marathon and others in the future.

Just remember that in endurance racing the key is patients and persistence and that speed is your enemy. Find your pace that is comfortable for you and enjoy the scenery.

Good luck and Happy running.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: