Quantcast Had to say goodbye to my sweet dog today - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss. I had 2 wonderful furbabies that I went through similar situations with (one was even a Shin Tsu). My heart is breaking for you because I know how difficult it is to experience. Take it a day at a time and gradually it gets a easier. Also remember he knows how much you loved him and you made sure you were with him through everything. Cyber hugs to you.

Laura

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am sure that having you at his side at the end was the greatest thing you could have done for him. May that give you comfort as you mourn.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss, I'm sure Sam felt you there and knew you wouldnt leave him until he was at peace.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

Your doggie was a lucky pup to have such a caring owner. Sorry for your loss.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again so much, everyone. It's still so hard and sad, but I'm a little more at peace with the decision. Being with him at the end, up to the very last second, was like a kind of gift to me because I saw how peaceful he was. I saw how easy it was on him after he had been fighting for so long. He was just so tired from all that fighting. I know he'll be with me always and he can never, ever be replaced. I was the lucky one to get 15 happy years with the best dog ever.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely send a card to both vets. I know it's difficult for them as well and I'm sure it would mean a lot to them.

Again, I'm so sorry about your little Sam. I believe with all my heart that we will be reunited with our furbabies at the Rainbow Bridge...that's how I've gotten through losing mine.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so very sorry about Sam, Laura. Yes, he knew right up to the end how much you loved him--your words and touch must have comforted him as he drifted off to a peaceful rest.

I read your post while on the treadmill at the gym and had to fight back tears. We said goodbye to our 14-year-old black lab mix, Oreo, in early December and I very much remember all the feelings you are experiencing. My husband and I have had a number of furry family members come and go throughout our lives and it never gets easier when the time comes to let them go. I read somewhere that a dog's love is the purest kind of love and I believe that with all my heart. I hope the memory of his love continues to bring you peace.

I also wanted to add that sending a card to Sam's vet would be very appreciated, I'm sure. We did the same thing after Oreo passed.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I'm so very sorry about Sam, Laura. Yes, he knew right up to the end how much you loved him--your words and touch must have comforted him as he drifted off to a peaceful rest.

I read your post while on the treadmill at the gym and had to fight back tears. We said goodbye to our 14-year-old black lab mix, Oreo, in early December and I very much remember all the feelings you are experiencing. My husband and I have had a number of furry family members come and go throughout our lives and it never gets easier when the time comes to let them go. I read somewhere that a dog's love is the purest kind of love and I believe that with all my heart. I hope the memory of his love continues to bring you peace.

I also wanted to add that sending a card to Sam's vet would be very appreciated, I'm sure. We did the same thing after Oreo passed.
    I'm so sorry about your Oreo. I hope that you, too, are comforted by your memories of Oreo and the love you shared.

Last night after work, I took all of Sam's medicines and prescription food (he was on a special diet for his kidneys) up to the vet hospital. They have a program where those who have lost pets can donate their pet's unused medications and food, which they then give to someone who needs it for their own pet but can't afford to pay for it. Sam was on a LOT of medications, some of which were pretty expensive, so I hope it will help someone else or give them a little more time with their own dog.

When I went into the hospital, the only person there was one of the front desk staff members who can sometimes be a little crabby and kind of gruff. Everyone up there knows Sam and his family, so she recognized me when I came in. I told her about Sam, and she started crying and said, "I know, I saw Monday morning that you were here on Sunday. I'm so sorry and so sad. I loved Sam. We all did." Of course, I started crying, too. It was so touching to know that someone who can seem like she's not that caring sometimes cared so deeply about my dog and was truly sad that he's gone. It was good for my heart, good for my soul to know how much Sam touched someone else.

I also took Thank You cards for Sam's regular vet and the vet who cared for him on Sunday. I hope it was enough to tell them how very much I appreciated the love and care they both gave to Sam.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!

Post Thanks / Like

Officially too many trips to list here!

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my baby, my cat Smokey, almost 2 years ago and still miss her daily. Her sister Peaches died a year ago today and it has been a rough day for all of us Peaches was older and had a lot of health problems but was such a fighter...reading about Sam reminds me of her. We were lucky and she died peacefully one day after we had spent a week trying to determine when the right time to put her down would be. Peaches just started breathing heavily and I got a blanket and held her and a few minutes later she was gone but I know it was a comfort for me that I got to hold her and tell her how much I loved her while she was dying. With Smokey I was out of town and didn't get to be with her and it was harder. I have a new baby Minnie now (we don't mention she to her that she is a cat named after a mouse) but I still have a special place for Peaches and Smokey in my heart. I think for me it was as hard as losing a family member, or harder.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beksy View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my baby, my cat Smokey, almost 2 years ago and still miss her daily. Her sister Peaches died a year ago today and it has been a rough day for all of us Peaches was older and had a lot of health problems but was such a fighter...reading about Sam reminds me of her. We were lucky and she died peacefully one day after we had spent a week trying to determine when the right time to put her down would be. Peaches just started breathing heavily and I got a blanket and held her and a few minutes later she was gone but I know it was a comfort for me that I got to hold her and tell her how much I loved her while she was dying. With Smokey I was out of town and didn't get to be with her and it was harder. I have a new baby Minnie now (we don't mention she to her that she is a cat named after a mouse) but I still have a special place for Peaches and Smokey in my heart. I think for me it was as hard as losing a family member, or harder.
    I'm so sorry for your loss of Peaches and Smokey! You're right, it is just like losing a family member because they are family. I'm so glad you have a new kitty friend, who is very lucky to have such a loving home! I know I'll have another dog someday, I'm just not sure when I'll be ready. I guess I'll know when I find him (or her)! No other dog will ever replace Sam because he was truly one of a kind little dog. But I hope one day I can open my heart and home up to another furry family member. For now, though, my cat Libby is loving being the center of attention!
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a poem on facebook yesterday and thought of this post. It made me cry yesterday and made me cry again while reading it. Wanted to share because it is the sweetest thing and saddest thing at the same time.

“Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, give their home and all they have to those they leave behind.

If, with my paws, I could do the same,

this is what I would ask …

“To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home, my bowl, cozy bed and all my toys, the lap which I loved so much and the tender loving touch.

Also the hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice, which called my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter animal, the place I had in my human’s loving heart of which their seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say,

‘I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain are more than I can stand.’

Instead, go find an unloved animal, one who’s life holds no hope or joy and give my place to him.

This is the only thing that I can give ... the love I left behind. This is my inheritance — my last will and testament.”
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely, Tonya.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    I saw a poem on facebook yesterday and thought of this post. It made me cry yesterday and made me cry again while reading it. Wanted to share because it is the sweetest thing and saddest thing at the same time.
    Oh, I love this! It definitely made me get tears in my eyes. One of my friends keeps encouraging me to visit a shelter just to see what dogs are out there who need homes, but I just haven't been able to yet. But, I know when I do, I'll want to take home as many dogs and cats as I can fit in my car!
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry.... we've had to put two of our furbabies down, and it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Hoping you are finding peace with it, and I think visiting a shelter when you are ready is a LOVELY idea. I'm sure your Sam is looking down and smiling!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    Oh, I love this! It definitely made me get tears in my eyes. One of my friends keeps encouraging me to visit a shelter just to see what dogs are out there who need homes, but I just haven't been able to yet. But, I know when I do, I'll want to take home as many dogs and cats as I can fit in my car!
    Time heals they say. Took me about a year before I was ready to put my heart out there, and got the most beautiful sweet dog ever. My problem is strays, lol, DBF always yells at me for feeding them, as I already have two cats and a dog and in my town they limit you to three animals, or else you need a kennel license, but he yells at me for feeding them all the time lol. He says once you feed them they tell all their friends! I always feel badly for animals that don't have homes and love like the animals I have do. Makes me sad
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I've only just seen this and I am so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking when you have to say goodbye to a furry member of the family.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: