Quantcast Had to say goodbye to my sweet dog today

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Had to say goodbye to my sweet dog today

I'm sorry for another down in the dumps post, but I'm just so sad tonight I don't know what to do. I had to say goodbye to my dog, Sam, today. He was almost 15 and had a long list of health problems, all of which had been managed well for a long time. His biggest problem was congestive heart failure. He'd had it for several years, but it had gotten steadily worse over the last couple of months. The last week was really hard on him and it was getting more and more difficult for him to breathe. I couldn't stand to watch him suffer anymore and I knew today I had to call the vet, who made a special trip to the veterinary hospital to see Sam. When she said there was nothing else that could be done, I knew it was time, but it was still the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

My mom and sister were there with me, but couldn't come in the room when it was time. It was too hard for them. I stayed with Sam. I didn't want him to leave this world all alone. It was quick and the vet was so gentle with him. I held him in my arms while he slipped away peacefully. I'm so grateful that I got to tell him one last time how much I loved him, what a good dog he was, and that I got to tell him goodbye. And I'm glad he doesn't have to suffer or struggle just to breathe anymore. I know it was the right thing to do. But that doesn't make it any easier. And it doesn't make me miss him any less.

He was the best little dog. A spunky Shih Tzu with a huge personality. He made me smile every day. It was so hard to come home to all of his things in the house and know that he wasn't there anymore. I just miss him so much. I'm broken hearted and sad beyond words. I just hope he knew how much I love him.

I'm sorry again for another sad post. I swear not everything about me or my life is sad and depressing! It just seems like it all hits at once. And tonight I feel like the saddest girl in the world.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss. It is so hard when it comes time to let them go but you will always have all the great memories that you shared together.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss ......

Our dog of 14 years left us this past July and it is hard in the beginning, but I told my children that dogs give us so many gifts of happiness and joy in our lives everyday, the most important gift we can give them at the end is to help them when they can't help themselves.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

My heart is with you...sad, but lots of good memories...she'll be waiting for you!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for your loss. We had to put down my cat, Mittens a couple of years ago and it was the hardest thing in the world I have done. There are days that I still miss him.

A couple of months after we lost Mittens, we got two more cats..Tinkerbell and Figaro. They filled the void we had, maybe when you get over your loss it might be a good thing to consider.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

We said goodbye to our dog 6 years ago and still miss him very much. We had him since he was a puppy, he was about 15 too. My wife and I were both in the room when it happened and had our hands on him as he passed so he knew how much we loved him, it does happen very fast. That night I had a dream about him looking in the living room window like he always did when he wanted to come back in the house. We had him cremated and got a nice wooden box with his name on it and just had them put "We Love You" under his name and we put a picture of him in the holder. He now sits on the fireplace mantle keeping an eye on us.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sad for you, so sorry. It's the hardest thing to lose our loved ones. They're with us for such a short time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to read about your loss.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

That is so sad to hear. I am so sorry for your loss.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending hugs and thoughts your way. I have two dogs, both turn 13 this year so I know time is drawing near to saying goodbye to them and I already dread it. Dogs are so loving and wonderful. Your furbaby knew how much he was loved and will be waiting for you.
    For Narnia! And for Aslan!

"He's a beaver, he shouldn't be saying anything!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry about your loss. It's never easy to say good-bye to our furbabies. Two of my pugs passed away last year and it still hurts. You are in my thoughts & prayers through this difficult time. Sending hugs & puppy-kisses from my pugs.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We also lost our little baby Nahla this year.She was a 15 year old Pekingese.I miss her everyday but it does get easier.In the meantime we have found a Feril kitten under my deck which we took in and we have fallen in love with.It all gets better with time and I'm sure he knew how much you loved him.Animals,especially dogs,really sense these things.Your little baby was lucky to have you just as much as you were lucky to have him(or her).
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

You have my deepest sympathies on your loss. Sending you a huge hug too. Sam absolutely knew how much he was loved. Our fur babies always know. He is playing again, full of health, and waiting for the time when you two will be reunited and he can be in your arms.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

A big hug for you, Laura, I know you must need one about now. Remember you have given Sam the greatest love that you can give your furbaby, no matter hard it is to do.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss . Putting down a pet is never easy but the making the choice to do so when we know it's time lets them go with grace.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry, it is a horrible thing to have to do, but it was the right thing.

Remember what a great dog he was, and how lucky you both were to have each other.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Laura,
    I just read your post and had to respond. I know EXACTLY how sad you are feeling. I lost my best friend of 12 years on Friday. She was a chocolate lab and the sweetest dog I have ever known. We found out she had lung cancer just before Christmas. The cough and difficulty breathing progressed rather quickly and it became clear last week that she was suffering.
    We had a vet come to our home which made it a little easier than taking her into the vet clinic.
    I am heartbroken and have a real hole in my life right now missing her so terribly much. She had a Face Book page with lots of friends. I wrote a very touching eulogy for her. It has helped that so many of her friends have posted some memories and pictures of her. My friend posted The Rainbow Bridge on her Face Book. It helped when I read it. I hope it does the same for you.

The Rainbow Bridge
    inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

My heart goes out to you.
    Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words. I can't even express how much I appreciate them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by emerzmom View Post
    Laura,
    I just read your post and had to respond. I know EXACTLY how sad you are feeling. I lost my best friend of 12 years on Friday. She was a chocolate lab and the sweetest dog I have ever known. We found out she had lung cancer just before Christmas. The cough and difficulty breathing progressed rather quickly and it became clear last week that she was suffering.
    We had a vet come to our home which made it a little easier than taking her into the vet clinic.
    I am heartbroken and have a real hole in my life right now missing her so terribly much. She had a Face Book page with lots of friends. I wrote a very touching eulogy for her. It has helped that so many of her friends have posted some memories and pictures of her. My friend posted The Rainbow Bridge on her Face Book. It helped when I read it. I hope it does the same for you.

The Rainbow Bridge
    inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

My heart goes out to you.
    Julie
    I am so, so very sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you are feeling. It's hard, harder than I ever thought it would be. I can't tell you how much that poem touched my heart. It's exactly what I hope for Sam, that he's up there somewhere happy, running as fast as he can, eating anything he wants, playing, sleeping peacefully, and breathing freely. No pain, no suffering, just happiness. I hope that for your dog, too. And I hope with all my heart that I do see Sam again.

As hard as it was, I'm realizing how grateful I am that I was there with him at the end. I think it's giving me more closure than I'd have if I didn't have the strength to go in that room with him. But I knew how much he hated that place and I couldn't imagine leaving him in there alone with a vet who had never even seen him before.

His regular vet wasn't on call on Sunday, and the vet who was is newer and had never treated or even met Sam. But she was so good with him. She was so sweet to him and as gentle as can be. After it was done, she bent down to check his heart and before standing back up, she gave him a little hug and said to him, "You're ok now, Sam. You can rest now." Her kindness made an impossibly difficult and sad situation just a tiny bit easier. I feel like I should send her a card or something thanking her for that kindness that she showed to Sam and to me, but I don't know if that would be weird or something. I'd like to send a card to Sam's regular vet, too, thanking him for taking such good care of him over the years. There wasn't anything he wasn't willing to do or try to keep Sam going for as long as possible. I'm not entirely sure what the appropriate thing to do is in this situation. I just want them to know how much I appreciate the care they showed my dog.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so, so sorry about your Sam. I know it is one of the hardest things we have to do in life, to say goodbye and make that decision. November 2011 I lost my Sam, who was my cat and baby of 15 years. He became ill quickly and there wasn't anything they could do to help. I didn't want to put him down but in the end it had to be done and it was what was best for him. I cried every day for a month. I didn't feel like eating or doing anything. I miss him everyday, still. We did adopt another cat later. About 6 weeks later. At the time I really was thinking if I was ready for another one, if I would ever love another one as much as Sam, etc. I wasn't so sure but I have to tell you now, I am glad I did not wait longer.

I took my time visiting shelters and I decided on a kitty who was 2 years old at the time. We've had him just over a year now and he really helped us. Everyone loves him, and he is loving and playful and just a pleasure. He has certainly made it easier to cope with our loss. I don't think any pet will ever be replaced and of course you will never forget, but he certainly has helped us get through a very sad time in our lives.

I just want to wish you comfort and and let you know you are thought of! Things will get better. I am sorry for your loss.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

So sorry to read about the passing of your little Sam. Our pets are so much more than that, they are family. They bring so much joy to our lives and want so little in return.
    Unfortunately, like others here, I know your pain all too well. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: