Quantcast WDW "veteran"/1st trip to DL

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile WDW "veteran"/1st trip to DL

Hi everyone! My family has been so blessed to be able to visit the Mouse at WDW many, many times! We are about to embark on our first trip to CA (ever) and out first trip to DL. I'm so excited I'm about to burst.

I feel very confidant about our choices at WDW because we've gotten down a system and are so familiar.....but I'm feeling very on edge not knowing anything about how things work in DL. Actually - that's probably going to be the best part, isn't it? The newness.

We are getting 3 day hoppers and we will be staying at Disneyland Hotel. March 5-9. Before that we'll have been in SanFran 2 days and a day or so to drive down PCH. (In case you have any suggestions about any of that!) I saw that one of the other DL resorts you can enter the park thru....so I wondered...If we eat in one of those resort restaurants, can we enter the park through there even if we aren't staying there? I'm open for any suggestions you have.

Thanks SO SO much! DN

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I should add, in case you have any thoughts/ideas/tips, that I will be in an ECV that we will rent from Apple Scooters for the park days. Though I'm only 47....I have fibromyalgia and I'm still recovering from achilles tendon surgery in April (looooong recovery) and have messed up knee cartilege. I'm a mess! I'll be with dh, 9 yo son and 17 year old daughter!

Post Thanks / Like

The entrance at the Grand Californian Hotel is for guests at ALL the Disney hotels, so yes, you will be able to enter there. It's a great perk! No need for a meal at GCH, but Storytellers is wonderful.

I'm so excited for you! Just remember...don't compare. Just enjoy Disneyland for what it is...the Original.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Melanie!

I've been "warned" about comparing. I know it's much smaller....but I'm SO SO excited knowing we are going to the original. The one that Walt himself saw completed and enjoyed with his children! That is so special to me.

I can't remember if someone told me or I read, that getting from Disneyland Hotel to both of the parks is "tricky". I heard that some off property hotels actually have easier access so that has me a tad concerned. I plan to pour over the maps...but does that sound right? Will we need to get on the Monorail to go to either park? Where all does the monorail go?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

It's not tricky at all! Just walk up into Downtown Disney and keep walking all the way through to the main gates (not a bad walk at all). Or, you can catch the monorail, which you will come to shortly after entering DTD from the hotel. It takes you into the park and drops you off in Tomorrowland, right by the Nemo subs and Autopia.

Seriously, nothing tricky at all. Don't worry!

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news! I never know how my fibromyalgia will be (mis)treating me so sometimes a short distance can seem LONG. A few years ago I must've been in remission and I was able to work out a lot before going to WDW and I was fine at the parks. Didn't need a scooter or wheelchair the whole time.

So I'm guessing the monorail stops in DL, DCA, Downtown Disney and the TTA? Any of the resorts?

Post Thanks / Like

Only two stops for the monorail - DTD and Tomorrowland. That's it. If you enter at DTD, you will go through security and ticket turnstiles there before you get onto the monorail.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did this back in January - I've only been to WDW and had a chance to go to DL and DCA for the first time.

I was at a conference in Anaheim and the offered conference passes good for 4-close. I got two of them, one for each park.

The most important thing to remember is to adjust your expectations. DL may have been Walt's dream, but WDW had the land to realize it.

Everything seems smaller. I meant to compare some of the rides from both parks on Google Earth but haven't had a chance yet, but you can tell that DL is landlocked in the city. One example from DCA - Tower of terror. At WDW you have all this theming - sprawling gardens, broken fountains, etc, and by the time you get into the building you can't see any other attractions. At DCA, you walk right up to the front door. The atmosphere just isn't there.

One benefit to the small size - I was able to ride most everything in each park (as a single rider) in about 4 hours per park.

The employees have a different attitude, as well. Most of the WDW cast members I saw were at least friendly and cheerful and some went well above and beyond to make our visit special. The cast members at DL didn't seem to have much of that magic - just like they were working at any old theme park. They also don't have the underground corridors of WDW, so you see employees travelling through the different lands to their jobs in dress with different theming.

I think some of the atmosphere comes from DL being primarily a "locals" park. You can tell that most of the guests are locals - I didn't see very many obvious tourists. Now, this may be a good thing for some, but part of the WDW experience is that almost everyone around you is there on a special trip - that this isn't the same old thing.

The attitude and atmosphere sometimes felt more like a regional amusement park than the Disney experience.

Now, I'm not saying that DL or DCA aren't good parks, but they are quite different from the WDW parks. If you adjust your expectations accordingly you can still have a great time.

Some things unique to DL/DCA:
    Pirates of the Caribbean (a much longer, more atmospheric ride.)
    California Screamin: A unique coaster
    Finding Nemo Sub voyage: unique since 20,000 left WDW
    Indiana Jones: Same ride as Dinosaur in AK, but great IJ theming
    Cars Land: all new stuff
    Radiator Springs Racers: one of the best rides there. Get your FPs early, this one is packed all day.
    Matterhorn: They don't make them like this anymore. Brace yourself, can be a bit rough.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yep, you are feeling the same way I felt when we first made the switch from WDW to DL. But don't worry, what DL lacks in size it makes up for in quality.
    And Mr Toad is still alive here. Lol

If you have the means, and are interested in the history of the park, I highly reccomend the Walk in Walts footsteps tour!

I will be there just days after you leave....

Post Thanks / Like

From your questions about the monorail I am guessing you are thinking Disneyland will be like WDW.. spread out. It's not. You can walk from Disneyland to CA in mere seconds. and DTD is right there.. it's all compact and right there! When I went we only rode the monorail for fun.. just for the experience.. there's no true need to use it as 'transportation". we rented a convertible one day and drove a little ways down the PCH! It was awesome! The first time we were there we stayed at Disneyland Hotel and it really wasn't that bad getting to the parks. It is a bit further than the other two.. but again, it's not a 'hike'. Make sure you have a meal at Goofy's Kitchen.. was really good buffet and character intereaction was wonderful when we were there!
    For Narnia! And for Aslan!

"He's a beaver, he shouldn't be saying anything!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very excited for you. I actually enjoy DL over WDW. LOVE the idea of NO buses or transportation. It's much more relaxing.

Have a wonderful time.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrkcr View Post
    And Mr Toad is still alive here. Lol
    I had heard about Mr Toad and happened to walk by when there was almost no line and figured since the WDW version had already been taken out that I should ride...

Wow, that was strange.

I guess I need to look up the backstory, because I couldn't figure out any of it. Except that I ended up in Hell.

Odd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wellsm View Post
    I just did this back in January - I've only been to WDW and had a chance to go to DL and DCA for the first time.

I was at a conference in Anaheim and the offered conference passes good for 4-close. I got two of them, one for each park.

The most important thing to remember is to adjust your expectations. DL may have been Walt's dream, but WDW had the land to realize it.

Everything seems smaller. I meant to compare some of the rides from both parks on Google Earth but haven't had a chance yet, but you can tell that DL is landlocked in the city. One example from DCA - Tower of terror. At WDW you have all this theming - sprawling gardens, broken fountains, etc, and by the time you get into the building you can't see any other attractions. At DCA, you walk right up to the front door. The atmosphere just isn't there.

One benefit to the small size - I was able to ride most everything in each park (as a single rider) in about 4 hours per park.

The employees have a different attitude, as well. Most of the WDW cast members I saw were at least friendly and cheerful and some went well above and beyond to make our visit special. The cast members at DL didn't seem to have much of that magic - just like they were working at any old theme park. They also don't have the underground corridors of WDW, so you see employees travelling through the different lands to their jobs in dress with different theming.

I think some of the atmosphere comes from DL being primarily a "locals" park. You can tell that most of the guests are locals - I didn't see very many obvious tourists. Now, this may be a good thing for some, but part of the WDW experience is that almost everyone around you is there on a special trip - that this isn't the same old thing.

The attitude and atmosphere sometimes felt more like a regional amusement park than the Disney experience.

Now, I'm not saying that DL or DCA aren't good parks, but they are quite different from the WDW parks. If you adjust your expectations accordingly you can still have a great time.

Some things unique to DL/DCA:
    Pirates of the Caribbean (a much longer, more atmospheric ride.)
    California Screamin: A unique coaster
    Finding Nemo Sub voyage: unique since 20,000 left WDW
    Indiana Jones: Same ride as Dinosaur in AK, but great IJ theming
    Cars Land: all new stuff
    Radiator Springs Racers: one of the best rides there. Get your FPs early, this one is packed all day.
    Matterhorn: They don't make them like this anymore. Brace yourself, can be a bit rough.
    I agree with most of this post, especially the atmosphere and employee attitudes.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I don't agree with the stuff about the employees at all - and just wait til you experience the character interaction. Disneyland is the original - and no matter how big WDW gets it will never have that feeling that Walt is right around the corner.

There is no reason to compare - its apples and oranges. Minus the busses and boats ad hour long commutes between resorts!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: