Quantcast Keeping My Feet Happy on Vacation?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Keeping My Feet Happy on Vacation?

Good evening all. Just thought I'd bother ya'll with something that's been on my mind regarding our upcoming Disneyland vacation in August.

Well, its like this... yet again I've managed to jam-pack our vacation to the brim with more than we could possibly want. But we want to do all of this regardless, so cutting things out is not an option!! This itinerary includes things like a day-trip to Universal Studios Hollywood, a private tour of the Walt Disney Studios and El Capitan Theatre, attending all 3 days of the D23 Expo 2013 and to cap it all off... an entire week at the Disneyland parks.

As you can tell, this is looking like a pretty "go-go-go" schedule. Which is fine with us. But there is a slight dilemma (for me at least). I can handle walking but I am one to get sore feet during Disney vacations, I assume everyone does... but for me it can be unbearable. When I came down for the D23 Expo 2011, I pushed myself as hard as I could and by the final few days of the vacation, I didn't even wanna step on the ground as it made my feet feel as if they were on fire!

Are there any hardcore Disney planners out there who have any tips or tricks on how to preserve and make your feet last longer/feel better while doing pretty intensive schedules? I know that I am defiantly going to go shoe shopping for a comfortable pair a month or so before we leave. I was also thinking of checking into gel insoles too... is that worth the bother?

Thanks in advance for ANY information you can dig up and provide me with! It is much obliged.
    We all have sparks, imaginations.
    That's how our minds, create creations.
    For they make, our wildest dreams come true.
    Those magic sparks, in me and you. șoș

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I make sure I switch shoes between sandles and fit-flops....it leaves the toes open to spread during the day...and I wear my sandle one toe socks at night to keep them warm. This works most of the year...especially a mandatory soak in the hot hub for 20 minutes each night...even if you just dangle your feet in...I found unless its raining, I can't wear runners...my daughters swear by the canvas Disney crock shoes...have an extra pair in the attic for the youngests next trip...chasing her 3 yr old nephew around the parks...

I do NOT like Crocks...they're plastic and they hurt my feet just putting them on...a gel instep may work well for you too!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I would take two or three pairs of comfortable shoes that you can swap around. Sometimes just changing shoes can help with comfort. I would also recommend a good soak in hot tub or bath at the end of each day.
    You can also get cooling lotions and sprays for legs/feet which help.
    Jo

Next trip Sept 2014 - POFQ
    Oct 2011 - POFQ
    Oct 2009 - POFQ
    April 2008 - off site
    Nov 2006 - CBR
    March 2005 - Disneyland Paris
    Oct 2004 - AKL
    April 2003 - off site
    Dec 1997 - off site
    June 1995 - Disney California

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, switching shoes is the only way I get through a Disney vacation!

I bring a pair of fairly new crocs, and a pair of running shoes, and swap back and forth. In both cases, I wear good quality socks and it really makes a difference.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pair of Jambu Reno shoes before our October trip; (they were kinda pricey even on sale) they have hardly any sole and I was concerned my feet would kill me with all the walking but it was the BEST my feet have ever done...no pain at all!

I would suggest whatever shoes you take that you break them in good and let your feet get used to them before the trip.

Good luck!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips guys and gals! If anyone comes up with anything else in addition, don't be afraid to post it here!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear flip flops to Disney all the time because my tennis shoes would give me blisters at the parks. However, once I found the right tennis shoes, I can't bear to wear the flip flops! I wear Brooks PureFlows. They are super light weight, so you don't feel like you are wearing cement shoes by the end of the day. They have a nice amount of cushion too! Just make sure you are always buying the right size of shoes! Try them on later in the day after you've done walking, working out, whatever so that they are as swollen as they will get. This will help ensure that they aren't snug by the end of the day. I have worn my Brooks on a few Disneyland trips and my feet have felt great! I even ran the Tinker Bell Half Marathon in January in my Brooks PureFlows then went to the parks that day and the following day. I was sore from the run but my feet did not hurt! These shoes have become very popular and are readily available in Finish Line, Dick's Sporting Goods, Hibbet Sports. They are under $100.

I also ALWAYS buy after market insoles. That is the cheapest part of every shoe and no matter what, the ones they put in the shoe when you buy them are junk. I wear Polysorb Total Support insoles. They have some cushion too them but also support the arches to keep the feet happy!
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I switch between two pairs of crocs and a pair of athletic walking shoes. I take the "classic"style crocs clog on vacation, as only the big floppy classic style crocs feel good all day on my feet. And yes, I sometimes wear a pair of low socks with them. I know it is so tacky, but I am more concerned with comfort than style when walking all day! And if I wear the socks and crocs with long jeans, I feel it isn't as noticeable. Or at least that what I tell myself!

And just make sure you wear any new shoes for weeks before your trip. My DD bought a new pair for our spring break trip. She wore them around the house for a week, and today is wearing them six hours at school. And will wear them as much as possible for the next 12 days!

And I carry pre-cut moleskin and band aids in my purse or even just in my pocket if I'm not taking my purse. I consider moleskin one of the most important things I take on vacation!!

And I take a foot bath with me. Kinda weird I know, but I love soaking in ICE water every night. I learned this from my ballroom dancing days. Ice your feet down to help with swelling and pain. It's not as nice feeling as the hot tub, but I find it helps my feet more. If I couldn't carry my foot bath, I would bring a plastic shoebox sized storage box in my suitcase...it is that important to me! And I rub down with Ben gay after the ice bath.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Good info here you guys! Thanks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: