Quantcast Sci Fi Dine In Theater? Good, Bad or Ugly?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sci Fi Dine In Theater? Good, Bad or Ugly?

I've been tossing the idea around of going for dinner because I love the whole idea of the car booths under the stars. I've seen some reviews of the place and the general concensus seems to be the theme is great, but the food is really bad.
    What do you think? Are some people just being too picky or is the food really that bad? I'm not that picky, I can enjoy a so-so burger and tepid fries just as much as an excellent surf & turf.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sci Fi can get mixed reviews, but remember that it's opinion and not necessarily fact (even the good ones!). There is higher quality food in Hollywood Studios, like the Brown Derby, but if you're looking for something like a good hearty burger and milkshake, then Sci Fi is the place! I've eaten here many times and had great experiences with the food and atmosphere. I hope others will weigh in with their good and bad but fair observations.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

We love the SciFi. It is really a dining experience. We have never had bad food there and we get more than just onion rings and shakes. Love the BLT soup!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Good-- if you stick to lunch. For dinner, I would avoid.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Open-faced steak sandwich = GREAT!
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

When I went with my family the consensus was that the menu and food was boring and bland. Nothing was revolting, it just seemed like counter service food. I would not go again. I feel like there are better options. Thats just me though
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned, it's a great place for a burger. The atmosphere is so fun. If your on the dining plan I feel it's a waste of a TS credit though. It is more counter service style food. I'd pay out of pocket though anytime.

My last visit here (Sept 2010) I had the ribs and they were awful (very fatty). Another person in my party also had the ribs and thought the same thing. Not sure if those are still on the menu - but I'd avoid them. The burgers have always been great though and the milk shakes are fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree that it’s definitely a matter of “opinion”. Before our first visit, a friend of mine had told me that she didn’t like Sci-Fi because her Rueben sandwich was soggy but that the rest of her family liked their burgers and shakes. Another friend told me that we HAD to go and absolutely recommended it noting that the food was fine but that it was just “the coolest restaurant!” We took the advice of the second friend and made reservations. My mother had the Rueben which she said was not soggy and she really liked it. Honestly, I don’t remember it being “bad” or “great”. We’ve now been there several times and, to be honest, I’m too busy taking pictures and enjoying the atmosphere to notice the food. But I know that if it was bad, I would remember. BTW…it’s the quietest restaurant you will ever be in.

In my opinion, it’s definitely a “MUST DO”…at least once. We even went over late one night last June (after Fantasmic) just to enjoy a shake and fries so that my in-laws could experience the place. So, if you’re undecided, you might just try to get over there before they close one evening and see if you can “walk-in” for a late snack. Just be sure to check their hours earlier in the day. I’m thinking we almost ran over after Fantasmic to get in before closing. They were so nice, we had a great waiter, and almost had the entire place to ourselves!

I also agree that there are better ways to use table service credits. We've paid out of pocket a couple times for Sci-Fi too.

Have a Magical Trip!

Maria
    1980?–DL,1988 – DL,Nov. 2002(off-site),Oct.'04 WL, Oct.'07 WL,Feb. '09 Poly, Feb.'10 Poly,Dec. 2010 Contemp., April '11 DL. Sept.'11-Poly, Dec.'11-Yacht Club , June '12- POFQ,Aug. 2012-Disneyland ,Oct. 2012 I-15 BC NEXT UP: April 2013- The Disney Fantasy Cruise

Post Thanks / Like

I love Sci Fi. It's a must do for lunch and one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. That said, it's the unique theme that brings me back. The food is average at best. So don't be tempted to purchase the highest priced entree. Stick with the sandwiches and enjoy the atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like

We've always really liked this place - more for the ambiance than the food. That's not to say the food was bad; just not great. But a couple years ago they added a All-American Picnic Burger to the menu and I really like it. It's big; it's a burger with a split hot dog as one of the "toppings". To me it's a great combo...and healthy

Post Thanks / Like

My son and I went there for the first time last May and it was fun. He got the pasta which he thought was pretty good. I got the veggie burger, which was very flavorful, but fell apart somewhat as I ate it. We had to rush through our meal to make out Toy Story Mania fast passes, so the whole experience wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been. But the server was speedy in getting our order out to us, once she heard about our situation. About the only truly negative thing I can say is that it would be nice if they would actually have longer footage of films, not just the same short snippets over and over. I have the same complaint about Prime Time. They're probably worried that people will hang out too long.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    About the only truly negative thing I can say is that it would be nice if they would actually have longer footage of films, not just the same short snippets over and over. I have the same complaint about Prime Time. They're probably worried that people will hang out too long.
    I do agree on the clips. We enjoy them a lot but they are always on the second go round by the time we are done.

We have eaten at the Sci Fi twice. We do tend to get burgers or something similar but they have been good every time.

It is a lot of fun. I think everyone should try it once.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Sci-fi once (just bc we haven't been back to DHS). We really liked it the kids loved the movie clips. I loved the drive in movie feel (so did my dad). We had burgers and sandwhiches and had no conplaints on the food. From the reveiws I have read it seems, those order dinner fare tend to be dissappointed. Those who order diner fare are ok with it.
    Have fun!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Good, but not great.
    DW and I ate there at least 4 times, and intend to go back next trip.

Ahh the term next trip sounds so good.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

The theming is very fun. We did not find the food to be bad, just okay. However, I've been told if you stick with burgers, onion rings and milkshakes that its quite good.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sci-Fi

We are going in October. We have 2 - 11 yr. old boys who are going to love the theming. We pay out of pocket, so I am hopeful that we will enjoy it. A burger and a milkshake sound really good right now.
    Jen
    Massachusetts

October 1995 - Carribean Beach

November 2007 - All Star Movies

August 2016 - All Star Music/Port Orleans Riverside

August 2019 - All Star Music/Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, we tried it first in 1998, and we weren't impressed. My sister tried it in 2003, and really loved it. We decided on a whim to add it to our day in 2010, and I really felt that the overall package was worth the visit. The food reminded me of what you would get at a diner. It was in the pretty good-to-good range, but not stand out. The atmosphere was great. Sitting in those cars, getting friendly service, and watching some old sci-fi movie trailers really made this feel like a special Disney experience to me. I regret not doing this on our most recent trip instead of Hollywood and Vine, but maybe next time!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been there in a few trips - I prefer Mama Melrose's - but I do love the atmosphere of the Sci Fi Dine In. It is fun to watch a movie and sit in a car!

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

The theming is great, unless you have kids. Then they're scared to death of all the old horror films they play on the screen.

For food, the Orea shake is fantastic. And as far as I know, it's the only place they offer a vanilla coke. The food isn't bad. It just isn't good. What I ate didn't make me want to stop eating altogether, but it wasn't as good as all other WDW diners.

If you've never been, try it once. Then hit something else next time.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

We love this restaurant and have taken our kids here every time we have gone. Our kids have loved the movie clips, even when they were 1-1/5 and 3 years old. I usually order burger, fries and a milkshake Eeven though I don't believe burgers are on the adult menu for dinner - they still will cook it). I believe DH and DS ordered steaks last time and said they were good. Our last trip, we had the dining plan and decided pay OOP for this restaurant due to the lower cost compared to other restaurants.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC