Quantcast Family Car Burglarized In MK Parking Lot

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family Car Burglarized In MK Parking Lot

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this a rare occurrence at Disney World. I've heard of similar break-ins in the past. A few times I have taken the risk of leaving my property in the car while in a Disney lot (as on check out day when we leave directly from the park to the airport) and have always been relieved when I've found all intact when I return to the car. This could happen anywhere. I don't think we can hold Disney to a higher standard than the owner of any other parking lot in the country.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Point taken, but I think that WDW could take some relatively easy measures to TRY to prevent this from happening in the future.

Three ideas:

(1) Security officers on Segways (surely WDW can get some of these outfitted for Security in the parking lots) with lights on them?

(2) Add a few more of the Security "Crow's Nest" type of outposts in various areas of the parking lots (have seen these at Downtown Disney, Studios, etc.).

(3) Eventually add security cameras in parking lots with high visibility signs as you enter the parking lot areas and additional signs within the parking lot areas.

Not exactly rocket science....

Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask, why did they have a loaded gun in the car?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing (about gun in the vehicle); I would be willing to bet that at any given time, there are perhaps thousands of weapons on Disney property at any given time.

It's unfortunate to think that we've gotten to such a point in our society. It's also unfortunate to think that all it will take is one incident for someone to get caught with a weapon in one of the parks and then we will be walking through metal detectors, taking our shoes off, etc.

Very sad....

Post Thanks / Like

We all like to pretend that nobody on property would steal anything, but we've had items stolen from us on two different trips. The unfortunate thing is how badly we were treated by both Disney Security and Orange County when it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I was thinking the same thing (about gun in the vehicle); I would be willing to bet that at any given time, there are perhaps thousands of weapons on Disney property at any given time.

It's unfortunate to think that we've gotten to such a point in our society. It's also unfortunate to think that all it will take is one incident for someone to get caught with a weapon in one of the parks and then we will be walking through metal detectors, taking our shoes off, etc.
    Very sad....
    And you would be correct. Why are you so surprised by this. I have had a concealed carry permit since the day I turned 21 and I have my weapon with me everywhere I go. When you have a weapon with you, you have two choices, wear it in or leave it in the car. I don't wear it into the parks as I feel relatively safe there but I have worn it in Downtown Disney numerous times in the past when they were having a lot of crime there. Also, there is no way in hell, I would travel on the interstate, especially at night; without my weapon. I guess my point is, there is a significant percentage of people with concealed carry permits and you are around guns all day every day and never realize it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I guess my point is, there is a significant percentage of people with concealed carry permits and you are around guns all day every day and never realize it.
    Unfortunately, I know this to be true. I am not personally a big fan of guns. I do not own a gun. I do have dear friends and relatives who do own guns and I have known folks who always keep a gun on their person.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, which way to take this one...comment about Mississippi stereotypes? Go political on guns? Hmm...maybe the angle that it's so Disney to want to keep this in-house and hush-hush? Make a crack about needing full body-armor and grenades to feel relatively safe at DTD?

No...I think I'll just sit back and watch if my prediction of this thread getting closed down by cob today comes true.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I have to ask, why did they have a loaded gun in the car?
    I am sure we just have different perspectives to draw from, and the previous posters have covered my thoughts well, I just want to point out that I thought it was humorous to ask why the victims of a felony had a gun? Seemed humorously self explanatory to me!

From the comments section on the article website:
    a place as large as that, and one who has the @#$@# to charge $15 per day to park, doesn't provide security cameras? And has stupid security? No excuses other then greed.
    Ditto
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

In December we were in the EPCOT parking lot when a nearby car alarm when off. In no time a bike cop was there checking it out.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    In December we were in the EPCOT parking lot when a nearby car alarm when off. In no time a bike cop was there checking it out.
    Did he catch you?
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it still comes down to the basics -- If there is nothing to see inside the passenger area of the vehicle, there is little reason for someone to break into it! None of the items that were taken should have been in view - leave them in the trunk/room/home/etc. or simply cover them up with a throw or blanket if you have to have them with you. A thief is not going to spend a lot of time looking in the vehicle to see if there is anything "good" to steal - a quick glance for quickly disposed of items...If nothing jumps up, then it's on to the next vehicle.

I feel bad for the family, it was truly unfortunate for them, but it could have been avoided, or minimized.....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

And you would be correct. Why are you so surprised by this. I have had a concealed carry permit since the day I turned 21 and I have my weapon with me everywhere I go. When you have a weapon with you, you have two choices, wear it in or leave it in the car. I don't wear it into the parks as I feel relatively safe there but I have worn it in Downtown Disney numerous times in the past when they were having a lot of crime there. Also, there is no way in hell, I would travel on the interstate, especially at night; without my weapon. I guess my point is, there is a significant percentage of people with concealed carry permits and you are around guns all day every day and never realize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I am sure we just have different perspectives to draw from, and the previous posters have covered my thoughts well, I just want to point out that I thought it was humorous to ask why the victims of a felony had a gun? Seemed humorously self explanatory to me!

From the comments section on the article website:

Ditto
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on where your from. NJ doesn't issue permits to carry a concealed weapon that easily but auto break ins happen all the time. No harm meant.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this story did not state, but I assume the GPS was out in the open/visible. Leaving anything of value leaves you at more a risk than if everything is hidden. I would assume the computer and gifts where easily seen too.

Now if the crook has a key less remote that just so happened to unlock the car, nothing you can do since most cars have trunk switches inside the car.

The gun does not surprise me either. I always travel with a loaded gun with me. Never carried it into the parks, but I lock it up in the room safe.
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my bazooka in my trunk. It won't fit in my fanny pack.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    I keep my bazooka in my trunk. It won't fit in my fanny pack.
    You're funny.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a gun in my car every time I drove to WDW. I am licensed, and I'm not driving my family across four states without it.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfoshe View Post
    Leaving anything of value leaves you at more a risk than if everything is hidden.
    So true. I work at a public university, and cars are routinely broken into if so much as a handful of change is visible.

I lock EVERYTHING of value in my trunk and cross-lock it so they can't open my doors and pop the trunk. I guess they COULD cut through the back seat and get my stuff, but that's more work than most thieves want.

So sorry to hear about the family's loss, but NO PLACE is safe.
    Just Jill.......

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: