Quantcast Ever Felt Crowds Too Large ... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I also wanted to add that if your going for a holiday week it really pays to do some research on which park is best for which day. There are several sites out there that offer this kind of info. The vast majority of people visiting WDW don't research such info. Most people tend to go with which ever park is offering EMH in hopes of getting a few more hours of park time in.

For example, last year during Christmas week we ran into a friend of DH's at a resort. They had been to MK that day (or the day before), and he was telling us that it was WALL to WALL people. He said he couldn't even take pictures of his kids because he couldn't back up enough to get a good shot. They bailed on the park because it was impossible to get anything done.

We went to MK the very next day and it was such a quiet day. Crowds were not bad at all. DH's buddy had been to MK on an evening EMH day, and so did lots of other people, hoping to get in a few extra hours of park time. We went to MK on a day no EMH was offered, and a lot of the crowds went to parks that were offering some sort of EMH.

Not only does time of year matter. Which park you choose on which day of your trip can make a huge difference in the crowds you encounter.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    ... we've been in May during Memorial Day weekend...
    Hey, buzznwoodysmom, if you don't mind me asking- how were crowds for you on Memorial Day? I know it's pretty busy, but compared to the other busy times you've been, how was it?

I ask because we have to go on Memorial Day because of my college schedule! Your input would be greatly appreciated!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDawgette View Post
    Hey, buzznwoodysmom, if you don't mind me asking- how were crowds for you on Memorial Day? I know it's pretty busy, but compared to the other busy times you've been, how was it?

I ask because we have to go on Memorial Day because of my college schedule! Your input would be greatly appreciated!
    It was pretty busy, and it was HOT.

Keep in mind that we visited during Memorial Day way back in 2006. So it's been a while....

It was unseasonably hot that year. I've been in June, July and August that weren't as hot as that particular May. We had friends who were there the same week the year before, and were there again with us. They said the previous year was no where near as hot. I think the heat was so intense it made touring a bit difficult, and probably made crowds seem bigger than they were. Over the course of the week, we still managed to do and see everything we wanted, so it wasn't unmanagable. I'd go back during that week again without hesitation. I'd just hope for better, cooler weather, LOL.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We rarely wait more than 20 minutes for an attraction. Not worth it. However, if you know how to play it, you don't have to.

First, you have to avoid the really high season. This month my brother and his family are taking the kids out of school 3 days early so that they can visit the week of Dec 15. This is a only notch down from high season, but that's good enough.

Next, you absolutely have to arrive for rope drop. If that doesn't work for your family, then even this type of week is no good.

Enter the park by 9am, and get 2 1/2 hours of minimal lines, after which you start to use fast pass. This carries you to lunch time. Eat, then stroll some shops, go on a few less-popular rides, and by 3:00 you're done, and you've packed in a good day.

If you're kids are stalwarts, you quit earlier,take a 4 hour break back at the hotel, and return to Disney for the evening scene and fireworks.

The key here is to accept the fact that at 11:20 it's as though someone flips a switch and the park suddenly goes from quiet to packed. You have to work around this.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

I try to plan trips when it's going to be less crowded so I don't have the long waits. Timing is everything even depends on which days you go to certain parks. I know since I am there quite often and will skip attractions that I feel the lines are too long knowing I'll be back soon and can catch it next time. So the crowds don't really bother me as much.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I refuse to go to Disney during holiday weeks because crowds would ruin my experience. If I had children or a spouse that was a school teacher, I would rather go in the heat of late August when most US school are back in sessions.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

We have been spoiled by only going into the parks during off times with low attendance, that we would never go into a park during a high time. Busy times is when people do not like DW and they wonder what I am thinking going back to DW so much.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

We can only go in the summer and we know going in that it is going to be hot and crowded. I try to plan out the days so we have a nice mix of park craziness and then other, less intense activities like swimming at hotel or a trip to DTD. I also try to get everyone there for park opening, so we have a few hours before the main crush shows up. That has worked out pretty well, as does careful use of fastpass.

Not sure if another poster mentioned this, but the smartphone apps that show wait times were a Godsend for me on the last trip. I found them to be very helpful and it allowed us to make changes "on the fly" if our next attraction was going to be a long wait.

Just a final thought: Yes, it is vacation and it should be relaxing. However, if you have a little structure for the first few days, you can probabaly do the main things on your list and then you can slack off / be flexible for the remaining days.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
    It's really simple... if you don't like crowds then don't go during a time that is widely documented as one of the busiest times of the year. And certainly don't go knowing it's a busy time, and then complain that it was busy!
    Not all of us have that luxury. I'm a teacher which means that I pretty much can ONLY go when crowds are high. Your answer seems a little insensitive - arrogant even.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDawgette View Post

We have been 3 times around Memorial day since 2008 and we love going at that time of year. Our kids are out of school (we get out pretty early here in Georgia) and the summer crowds at WDW aren't too thick yet. Sure, it can be quite sticky and hot but that's why we always choose a resort with an amazing pool when we go this time of year. Memorial Day week is one of our favorite "busy" times to go.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I share the OP's opinion on this one.

We usually visit WDW in October for several reasons: for one, my sealing season is almost over and I can take time off from work without it osting me much I come; second, we're huge Halloween fans and Walt Disney World is great that time of year; and, of course, the crowds are lighter. But that wasn't the case last year. We were there for 10 days and all four parks were crowded (to unenjoyable levels) everyday. Epcot on Food & Wine Festival weekends, was simply undoable with small children. The Magic Kingdom was packed every day except those with a party. But it closed those days at 7:00 pm. (As it turns out, we did more in a shortened day than we did when it was open until midnight.)

It's tough for a 2-year-old to consistently have 30-, and 40-, and even 60-minute waits for each attraction. We did our best to optimize FastPass usage, but at some point you just have to abandon the popular rides for less popular attractions. DD8 and I rode Carousel of Progress about five or six times because lines were short.

This year, we went back in September. (It's costlier for me to miss work then, but my crew handled things fine.) Crowds were VERY manageable. We all had a more enjoyable time. We rarely used FastPasses as rides were easy to navigate. At one point in Animal Kingdom, DD and I rode Expedition: Everest, got off, got back in standby, and rode again without any wait. The line never stopped until we were at the loading station. That's fun.

If WDW wasn't a great place to visit, it wouldn't be popular. If it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be crowded. And being crowded is healthy for its bottom line so it can be around for a while and I'm glad about that. When my children get older, they'll understand better and we can go back when it's crowded. But for now, win a 2-year-old and a 9-year-old, we'll go on slow times.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I did that previous response from my iPhone and I just saw all my typos! I'm embarrassed! I hope you can understand what i was trying to state.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crowds are every place nowadays

It's not only in WDW that issue. Every (famous) touristic place suffers of heavy crowds now.

I went to Europe in 1984, and also 1992 and 2004. Crowds have grown astronomically. The lines for the Eiffel Tower, the Notre Dame bell tower, the Vatican museum, the Louvre (and the Mona Lisa), etc.. were easy to visit in 1984. Now it's a nightmare.

Too much people in the planet??
    September 1973
    August 1988
    November 1990
    May 1993
    April 1996 (Disneyland)
    October 1999
    October 2002 (Disneyland)
    March 2003
    December 2009
    July 2011
    March 2013
    January 2017
    November 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by villavic View Post
    It's not only in WDW that issue. Every (famous) touristic place suffers of heavy crowds now.

I went to Europe in 1984, and also 1992 and 2004. Crowds have grown astronomically. The lines for the Eiffel Tower, the Notre Dame bell tower, the Vatican museum, the Louvre (and the Mona Lisa), etc.. were easy to visit in 1984. Now it's a nightmare.

Traveling is just more accessible. Internet, more airfare options, etc. I would imagine.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by villavic View Post

Recession? What recession?
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post
    Traveling is just more accessible. Internet, more airfare options, etc. I would imagine.
    That's true. Recession or not, I read travels are more accesible.

However I just realize the issue in Eiffel Tower and places like that are the security checks (bags check, etc.). That makes the entrance slower, and lines are longer. But that shouldn't happen in Disney rides, cause the check is just at the park entrance (where I've not found long lines )
    September 1973
    August 1988
    November 1990
    May 1993
    April 1996 (Disneyland)
    October 1999
    October 2002 (Disneyland)
    March 2003
    December 2009
    July 2011
    March 2013
    January 2017
    November 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
    We have been 3 times around Memorial day since 2008 and we love going at that time of year. Our kids are out of school (we get out pretty early here in Georgia) and the summer crowds at WDW aren't too thick yet. Sure, it can be quite sticky and hot but that's why we always choose a resort with an amazing pool when we go this time of year. Memorial Day week is one of our favorite "busy" times to go.
    Hey iheartdisney! Glad to see someone from so close on here!

And thanks! This makes me less apprehensive about going for Memorial Day! Thanks to you too, buzzandwoodysmom! The weather has been progressively hotter, I think- so there's no telling! I'm not opposed to hot, it's the cold I can't handle!
    Last edited by DisneyDawgette; 12-04-2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Whoops! Typo. :)
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from our trip over Thanksgiving week. Crowds were large, and wait times were big, but I still found we could do stuff. Getting in the parks early helps! Hit the ground running, and you can cover a lot of ground.

I might also add...the hours were in line with the crowds. The Magic Kingdom was open until midnight and 3am on EM nights, the studios was open until 10 most nights, Animal Kingdom until 8 and Epcot had hours until 11.

We did OK with the crowds, for me the weather was such a plus, that without the heat wearing me out, I could handle the crowds.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually go during the summer, to accomodate the teachers and students in the family. We have done 4th of July at least 4 times. We did Christmas once...and most of the family would love to do so again. Last two trips were in July.

So...we have never had a bad trip. Usually hop. Some of family...including me, love to hit the parks at opening...Others meet us for a late breakfast/early lunch... While I usually pre-plan each day, the first thing to go is the plan..Fast Passes, under the old rules, made sure we did all the "Must Do's" Family favorites, with short lines most of the time...CoP, POTC, People Mover (TTA), Philharmagic...fill the gaps while waiting for FP times...

Always something to look at, something to do...

We do FP rides together, and use child swap frequently....seems as if we have always had one or more infants or toddlers with us...

And with few exceptions, we do not insist on perfect attendance...so long as we have rendezvous plans, while in the park, we usually seperated into smaller groups, for the majority of the time...We have usually gone with groups as large as 14-16 (DW and I, 4 DK's, and DKiL's or DSO's, 8 DGK's, and 1 DGKiL...so if I win the lottery, there will be 19!). DW has few "Must Do's", while I have a secret goal of doing every ride with every DGK....will takes years to reach my goal! Since the youngest (so far) is just 1 year old, will have to wait until she is tall enough for everything.

Most people who know me do not realize how shy I really am...and coupling that with my less than average height, I usually feel uncomfortable in crowds....but since most of WDW crowds have a majority of people shorter than I am, I don't have that uncomfortable feeling there....
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you plan ahead and realize (if going when it is busy) that you may need to pick and choose then it becomes much less frustrating. We chose to pull the kids out of school this year to go down for a long weekend (they are 15, 12 and 6) but we talked with teachers and got homework for the kids to do while on the plane and during the evenings at the hotel (the beauty of earlier closing times for the parks they like the most). I know not everyone can , or would choose to do that, it is just one way to reduce the time spent in line and what not
    As of Dec 06 we are now 7
    Off site 1982
    Off site 1983
    Caribbean Beach 1989
    Pop Century 2004 (DW's first visit)
    Caribbean Beach 2006

Contemporary CL Youngests first trip December 2012

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: