Quantcast Is it worth going to DTD?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Is it worth going to DTD?

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about DTD these days. I remember eating at Rainforest Cafe on our first trip, and we hit World of Disney the first 3 trips. But since then, I just don't feel the need to take time away from the parks or relaxing at the resort to go down there. Seems I can find everything I want at all the other shops around WDW. Plus, there really isn't a great pull from any other shop or restaurant for us to return.

What do you think? Do you go downtown anymore, and if you do, what gets you down there?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested too... There are a few shops (WOD, the Christmas and kitchen stores...) that I would like to see, but I'm planning family trips in January and in June and can't decide where (or IF) to sacrifice park (or swim) time for DTD...
    CMCTxMom

Next trips - Disney Cruise December 2013; WDW April 2014 offsite

Previous trips:
    BC Club level June 2013
    BCVillas Jan. 2013
    DLR - 2010, 2011
    Offsite-2007
    CSR-2006
    Offsite DLR, CA-2003
    Disneyland Paris - 2001
    Beach Club - 2000
    Multiple trips in the '80s and '90s

Post Thanks / Like

We usually go once. My kids love the lego store, Ragland Rd is great to eat at, and we enjoy the kitchen store, the sports store, the Christmas store, and Art of Disney. While there are some items from those stores elsewhere, that's the biggest concentration and they have unique items in those places we usually don't see elsewhere in the parks.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The following list is the reasons it's worthwhile for me to go to Downtown Disney.

1. Raglan on Sunday nights for real live Irish music played by Johnny and Justin.

That's it.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

We try to save most of our souvenir shopping for the DTD visit, so we typically go on one of our last days. The "shopping day" usually starts later, with a nice table service breakfast. The bulk of the day is at DTD and the evening we head to MK or Epcot for the evening fireworks.

We do a lot of window shopping in the parks throughout our visit (but not much buying) so we usually have a good idea what's out there and you can find most of it at WoD - though there have been a few times we had to make a quick run back to a park because the "must have" wasn't available anywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to plan one shopping trip near the end of our stay but in the last 3 or 4 trips we've been once. We don't do as much shopping as we used to. And, somehow, the closing of Pleasure Island kinda took away our interest in going over to DD.

One trip to DD was for the opening of a Harry Potter movie that coincided with our arrival day. While everyone else went to see that movie (no clue which it was) DH and I went to Walmart for some stuff. This was maybe in 2004.

We must have gone twice to DD that trip because we also went to Disney Quest one mid-day for a few hours. The early teens in our group had a good time but no one ever asked to go back.

Another planned trip - eventually - is for Cirque de Soleil. And there is Splitsville which might require a look see at some point.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't gone in years... Since everything is the same all over property, there's no real need in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Not worth losing pool/park time

Post Thanks / Like

We usually head down on arrival day. We aren't going to waste a park pass on a 1/2 day so we usually hit some of the shops and eat at planet Hollywood.

We were really a big fan of adventurers club and the comedy show and to venture over that way and see the buildings deserted is kind of depressing. We usually stay away from pleasure island. Are they ever going to do something with this area??
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I love DTD because I am a girl and I am a shopaholic. I can look at the same souvenirs over and over and not get bored. I also just like "kanoodling" and then taking a lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express.
    If youre not a shopaholic girl like me I can see why you would not be into it.
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

We usually stop by just when we get there or leave. There's not much there you couldn't get in the parks. But there are a few neat places there. There's a bath store (if your familiar with a store call Lush, it's kinda similar and has a very strong smell even when you walk by), the Christmas, kitchen, glass/jewelry and sport stores are pretty cool. With kids though, I'm sure they might like a pool day or a park better. Not really much anything else there to help entertain kids for a whole day. Even as an adult, it's fun for a few hours, then I'm ready to do something else.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to go one night while at WDW so we could go to Adventurers Club. We would eat at one of the restaurants while there. Since they closed the club, we very rarely go to DTD anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I went a few times the last trip partially to enjoy raglan road.. im a pin and vinylmation trader so i enjoy going to the pin trader spot and WOD. I also enjoy going to lego store but thats just me
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Not worthwhile for me because I hate shopping, they got rid of pleasure island, and I feel like I lose the Disney mindset that I enjoy at the parks and resorts. I always end up there because usually someone I go with wants to go shopping. I may go to check out Raglan Road because people on intercot generally praise it.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a tradition for us to visit DTD on each trip, but like the PP, we find we are spending less and less time there every vacation. We now go on our last day in Florida after using all our hopper pass days (not worth missing park time). We typically get there pretty early so we get a good parking spot, take pictures outside of World of Disney and Lego store, wander the shops, pick up an item for my mom at the kitchen store, have pizza at Wolfgang Puck Express, have an ice cream at Ghiradelli and then start the drive home.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I'm in common company. DTD just doesn't seem the seem anymore.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I would be upset if we did not go on arrival night, and departure morning.

Raglan Road for dinner... I won't ever, ever miss it again. It's incredible. Bongo's coffee, and Ghiridelli sundae also make the docket for arrival night.

Departure morning is strictly for last minute shopping! World of Disney and Team Disney are the two most frequented areas of the Marketplace, but in order to stall the leaving process, we walk to other shops as well.

I love DTD. It's still charming. It's still clean. And Raglan Road... Well, you just have to go to understand.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

I love DtD. I never got to experience Pleasure Island so I don't miss it.
    If you or anyone in your group is a pin or vinylmation trader, then DtD is a spot not to miss. If you like to shop until you drop, don't miss it..otherwise-spend more time in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's our must do on all trips. I don't really know why, but we always end up there at least once. I guess you can say it’s just the atmosphere of something Disney. We usually go the day we are leaving. Just in case the kids want anything or ME actually...lol. I'm the one that loves going in the World of Disney Store... This time I totally forgot to get what I had waited all this time to get. My camera strap for my big camera. . Oh well next time. I guess I was overwhelmed with all things Disney!!!
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually end up going at least once every trip. However, it's always because we have nothing else to do, or it's a "no park" day. I would not sacrifice park time for it myself, but my kids would. They LOVE the Lego Store, Ghirardelli, and the T-Rex restaurant (now). So, I think we will probably continue to keep going there. There are some unique shops that you can't find elsewhere on property.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: