Quantcast CBR not a safe place!!!! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am shocked to say the least! I guess my iPad will be staying home now as I don't think it will fit into the safe at AoA.
    I will also be purchasing locks for my suitcases to use at the resort. Something I haven't ever done but now feel the need as I do not want my personal items stolen!
    1984 - Off Property
    May 2002 - AKL
    May 2003 - DL - One day
    January 2006 - One day
    March 2006 - CSR
    March 2008 Swan/Dolphin
    December 2008 - CBR/AKL
    November 2012 - AoA Lion King
    March 15-22 2014 - Swan/Dolphin
    Nov 13-22 2014 AoA Cars

DVC Owners @ GF
    Up Next:
    Sept 4-12 Poly Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a terrible experience!! I'm sorry you had a bad time!

I always worry about our iPads and cameras when we go on vacation but I have never worried in Disney. Keep us updated on any resolution!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I'ts unfortunate that 1 evil idiot can make the entire group of mousekeeping look bad. I hope you get it back, and I hope they catch the creep who stole it.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you had things stollen from your room. Unfortunately, though we all tend to think of Disney as someplace special and magical, it is still the same as anywhere else on the earth with the same humans inhabiting it. This is why they provide safes in your room, as any other hotel room does. A shame some electronics won't fit in the safe. I also don't bring anything with me to a hotel that I can't live without, stuff happens, even at Disney. If you are at a place that attracts large amounts people you will find people who are looking to cash in on that. No place can guarantee nothing bad will ever happen, that's just a given and you have to accept it...
    ºoº figgie ºoº - Now living our dreams in sunny Florida close to the mouse!

Post Thanks / Like

That really stinks!!!! I have learned it is safer to leave my Ipad, IPods, or whatever the kids bring IN THE CAR!! Yes in the car under the seats, behind them seats or somewhere out of sight. Never in the glove box or center consol. that’s the first place the thieves look...lol I really try not to bring those things with us, but if we do. I feel safer when they are in the car. I usually go before we head out to the parks. Trust me I don’t flash that I am doing this. I just don't trust the "mouse keeping" with too many expensive things in our room...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

We use the in-room safe whenever it's available. IPads usually fit in a standard safe; laptops don't.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberj View Post
    I am shocked to say the least! I guess my iPad will be staying home now as I don't think it will fit into the safe at AoA.
    I will also be purchasing locks for my suitcases to use at the resort. Something I haven't ever done but now feel the need as I do not want my personal items stolen!
    I can guarantee that at least 2 iPads will fit into the wall safes at the value resorts. This should be where the iPads live while you're in the parks.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your experience. that's definitely not a good way to end your vacation.

But, if you would like to laugh at this time, you should google "iPhone stolen on Disney cruise"
    So if you have an iCloud set up, maybe you can hope they do the same thing that cm did when they stole her iPhone.

Unfortunately, mousekeepers and Disney cast members are capable of being just as cruel as anyone not disney related. I have never had this experience at Disney, and hope I never know what it feels like, as I can only imagine how upset I would be.

Also, keep in mind that while mousekeeping is cleaning your rooms at values it actually irks me....when I stayed there I noticed something which completely freaked me out. They clean the rooms with several doors open at one time. It is not impossible for someone, anyone, to slip in a room and take something and get out without anyone noticing. I noticed this and even had commented at the time to DBF that that seems like a really silly thing to do. A mousekeeper would be cleaning and busy in one room and two other rooms would have there doors propped wide open for anyone to enter. With luggage bags literally right there at the door, some even open! i looked and was like oh my god! i was steamed and left my luggage hidden between the beds so noone could see after i saw this! Seems a little silly to do this especially the way the doors are facing the outside to such heavy traffic. At the dvc resorts I have only ever seen them clean one room at one time unless empty all other doors would be shut. You would think disney would see an issue with cleaning rooms this way, no? Like a security breach for lack of a better term!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear of your lost ipad. Some have mentioned the newer lock/key systems. Does anyone know if the Infrared Keys are any more secure than the old set up?
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

They do leave room doors open while they are cleaning, but they are supposed to block the doorway with the cleaning cart. I had to enter my room at BC a couple times on our last trip while the housekeeper was in there to get sunscreen and forgotten goggles. The first time, before she knew us, she closed the door and made us open it with our key to get in. The second time, she recognized me and let me in. While it might appear that they are just leaving the door open, they won't just let anyone walk in unless the know it is their room.

With that said, though, I find it foolish to bring anything on vacation that you can't stand to lose. We bring our cheapie netbook for the sole purpose of offloading our photos from our camera each day (into the online photo storage site we use), in case we lose our camera, so we won't lose our pictures. We password lock all our electronics (cell phones, netbook) just in case, but if they get taken, it's not a big deal. We don't even lock up the netbook. Anyone who would steal it thinking it's actually worth something would be a fool and it would be no sweat to us if it ended up missing. We don't have any sensitive information on any devices we travel with. You have to be smart about that stuff. If our cell phone becomes lost, we know to immediately call AT&T and shut it down. My sister had her iPhone stolen at Legoland a couple years ago. Within minutes of realizing it was gone, she was on the phone with AT&T (using my cell phone), reported it stolen, and they completely shut it down. Later, at Lost and Found, her phone was there. Apparently, the thief (a teenager) had discarded it when he realized the phone was a brick. A security guard saw him throw it into the bushes, questioned him about it, took him into custody, and found a BUNCH of stolen electronics in his backpack. My sister was able to get her phone back (identified it by its case), called AT&T, and they turned it right back on. Easy peasy.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    They do leave room doors open while they are cleaning, but they are supposed to block the doorway with the cleaning cart. I had to enter my room at BC a couple times on our last trip while the housekeeper was in there to get sunscreen and forgotten goggles. The first time, before she knew us, she closed the door and made us open it with our key to get in. The second time, she recognized me and let me in. While it might appear that they are just leaving the door open, they won't just let anyone walk in unless the know it is their room.
    That is my experience as well in the deluxe resorts. At the values, I stayed at All Star Movies and at POP. Both times I witnesses every morning while mousekeeping would leave three doors open at one time, and not have a cart blocking the doors. Cause I literally was shocked and said to DBF I could literally walk in that room right now and noone would ever know.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I'll put my hotelier hat on for this one. First, I feel badly for the OP that this occurred but theft of items can happen at any hotel anywhere. Nothing unique about CBR. Guests of any hotel have to assume that they need to protect their property by locking it in suitcases or the room safe. Tourists anywhere are targets of thieves and you just have to presume it could happen anywhere.

Hotels would love it if they could 100% keep thieves out but that's not possible even in locked access. Let me illustrate with two things that happened in our recent stay. We were returning to our room and approached the door to our building and a kindly person opened the door for us even before we got our key card out. Nice, but that's how thieves and pizza guys get in. They count on the niceness of people to let them in.

The second incident was finding a security door propped open with a coke can. Someone had probably run out for something without their key and wanted an easy way in. Hotels just can't prevent that kind of guest behavior.

Finally, Disney likely won't do anything. By law hotels have very limited liability for personal property. The sections are long in both our countries but essentially it boils down to hotel's can't be responsible for things they don't know are in their hotel's. Without liability protection hotels would be wide open to 'stolen property' scams, and with the number of different scams I've seen i know it would happen.

Disney did what they should by telling the person how to report it. But they won't set precedent by going beyond their liability responsibility. It's not that they don't care but rather that it is the person's property not the hotel's and the person's decision to follow it up with a report. Police can only work with the property owner.

Again, sorry that this happened and hope that you can recover your iPad.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for the OP...that would definitely ruin a vacation. I feel so bad for you, but I am so appreciative that you posted your story so that others can remember to lock up their valuables! We just got back from AKL and had the laptop, phones, and ipad just sitting around the room, and didn't even think twice about it. I would have been furious if someone had stolen anything! I think a couple of times my husband left his wallet on the counter when we left the room, as I had my purse with me. Never again!

Now I know to lock it all up before we go anywhere. Thanks for sharing, and I hope it can be found! I do know that one of my friends had her iphone stolen recently at a restaurant. They were able to use that app, and the police actually went to the guys house and arrested him!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and how it ruined your vacation. Unfortunately, people are people, even in Disney World.

I take everything of value with me each time I leave the room. I also make a habit of putting things away. Don't know if this has made the difference over the years, or if I've just been lucky.

It's a real shame that your wonderful trip to the Happiest Place turned out badly.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

If you were the victim of a theft, then you should have called 911 and reported this to the police immediately. To heck with dealing with the hotel or Disney security. They have a vested interest in not admitting any liability. The police have ways of tracking stolen electronics like iphones and ipads, and the sooner this is reported the more likely they are to catch the thief still in possession of the goods. Make a Police Report and ask them to investigate,
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I'm fairly confident it only works well if you have 3G (Data Contract) on it.. I think it works, but you'll probably only get as close as a town to it. WiFi isn't as tracable as cellular data.
    No, it works off of the GPS in the Ipod. It's not tracing the cellular data.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJSforVols View Post
    No, it works off of the GPS in the Ipod. It's not tracing the cellular data.
    Non 3G iPads do not have GPS hardware. Maybe the "New iPad" but not the older ones (first and second gen, probably the third gen as well). And, the GPS is cellular assisted...

iPods may be another story, the OP was talking about a stolen iPad.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your experience. Makes you wonder if it would be smart to lock up your suitcase when you're gone. We've left laptops in the room before. Seems like a dumb thing for a housekeeper to take something but it's hard telling how easy it could be for someone to make a key to your room and get into it, it could have been anyone. I wouldn't tolerate them taking the issue lightly. I'm sure if they had an ipad stolen they would be livid as well. We stayed at CBR last year and I have to say we had not so great experiences with mousekeeping but again it could have been anyone. And it could have happened anywhere. Hope they get it all sorted. What a bummer.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry this happened to you but unfortunately it's the world we live in. We recently have started to travel with a lock for one suitcase. Money, ipads, and smaller items go in the safe but anything larger gets locked in the suitcase. I take a photo of the items in the suitcase and a photo of the locked luggage piece showing it in the room, this way if it gets stolen I have proof of its existence. Also, when leaving our items with bell services at check-in/out, anything items of value go into one case and the lock gets put on.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I'm sorry this happened to you but unfortunately it's the world we live in. We recently have started to travel with a lock for one suitcase. Money, ipads, and smaller items go in the safe but anything larger gets locked in the suitcase. I take a photo of the items in the suitcase and a photo of the locked luggage piece showing it in the room, this way if it gets stolen I have proof of its existence. Also, when leaving our items with bell services at check-in/out, anything items of value go into one case and the lock gets put on.
    Taking a picture is a great idea! Thanks for sharing this!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88