Quantcast BrerSchultzy's "This Should Not Have Been the Best Trip Ever" Trip Report - Day 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default BrerSchultzy's "This Should Not Have Been the Best Trip Ever" Trip Report - Day 5

I'm trying to get the last couple of days done now, since I'm starting a new job this week, and I don't know when I'll be able to finish my trip reports...don't want to forget any of the little details.

DAY 5 - STUDIOS!

You all know the cast by now. And the cast is well rested on this day. Since we've had so much luck with crowds, and we knew we wanted to stay for Fantasmic, we slept in a little bit today. There were no EMHs for the Studios today, and there was a MNSSHP scheduled in MK, so we thought we'd take a chance on light crowds at the Studios. And we guessed right!

After plenty of coffee and Disney Junior on TV, we grabbed a bus, and made it to the Studios by 11. I ran ahead to grab FPs for TSM, while DW and DS meandered over to the Commissary for lunch. I did the fried fish thing again (started to feel the law of diminishing returns on this meal) with the Strawberry Parfait (which was the sweetest dessert we had all week...too sweet). DW had the Asian Salad, and raved about it for hours. We got the snack pack for DS, since he overloaded on cereal bars and cheerios for breakfast. DD had formula, but really seemed to enjoy it!

We got to TSM a little before our FPs, but the standby was only 15 minutes, so we thought we'd all give it a go in standby, but as we got to the line, a CM gave us a front of the line pass, so we all got to go in the FP line! This was easily Sam's favorite ride. For his birthday last year, we bought the plug and play game at Walmart, and it's the only video game DS owns...and he plays it whenever he's allowed. This ride absolutely blew him away. I rode with DD, which was easily more terrifying than any roller coaster. The way that ride swings and jerks around, I had to hold on really tight to her, and I didn't really play the game at all. Luckily, we still had FPs, and DW and DD wanted to try the GMR, so DS and I rode again (this time, he was so enamored with the ride, that he never even bothered to pull the string!).

We met back up over in the Animation Courtyard...DW figured the Alien scene in GMR was too intense for DS, so we never even asked him about it. We were about 30 minutes early for the Disney Junior show, but Jake (of the Neverland Pirates crew) and Handy Manny were out, so while the family waited in line to meet them, I grabbed ... one for me, and one for DW. You will recall, however, that the Disney Junior show was about to start, and I hear they frown on adult beverages being brought into the theatre (poor planning on our part, admittedly)...so we finished our drinks a little faster than we would have liked.

I have to say, the Disney Junior show was a highlight of the trip (which was already filled with highlights, as you can tell by my very wordy reports). And not just because DS reacted like a teenage girl seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. These songs and characters have become so engrained in my head, that I found myself singing along. As an added bonus, my son's favorite Imagination Movers song was part of the pre-show, and he jumped and danced with such reckless abandon, you would think he was at Woodstock. I'm not a huge fan of sitting on the floor, but to sit with a young boy who is literally shaking with glee every time a new character appears on stage...well...that made it all worth it. It helped that the host of the show was especially taken with Zetta, and kept sitting next to her during her breaks in the show.

We went to the store next to the Animation Building (we didn't even bother going into the Animation tour, because it just makes DW and me sad), and we told Sam (who had been everything you want your child to be today) that he could pick out any toy he wanted, and if he was good the rest of the day, we'd buy it for him (yes, it was bribery...but ultimately it benefitted everyone, so that's okay...right?). He picked out a Lightning McQueen with removable parts...combining his two favorite things: Cars and taking things apart. It was the only one in the store, and we hadn't seen it anywhere else, so when the family walked out of the store, I went back in and bought it, and had it sent to the front of the park...better safe than sorry.

With the promise of a new toy for good behavior, our son set records for cute-ness. But more on that later.

DW loves Rock N Roller Coaster. A lot. And I love Tower of Terror. A lot. So we swapped...she went to the single rider line of RNRC (no wait at all), and I got a FP for ToT. While waiting for my FP, DW fed Zetta....and Sam looked nervous. I asked what was wrong, and he was worried about me riding ToT. I convinced him that I would be okay, but I don't think he believed me. With an extra long hug from DS, I headed to ToT....

Wow do I love that ride. Everything about it. I love it so much, I've started watching the Twilight Zone whenever I can. And I'm starting to see a lot of the tributes to the show throughout the library and the ride. It makes my favorite ride even more fun. While I was in line in the Boiler Room, I was behind a family that had a couple of kids who wanted to back out, and were actually terrified. The mom agreed to take the kids back, and told them they wouldn't have to go in the elevator (the parents really handled their kids' fears well, and it was refreshing to see such good parenting). I informed the kids that they would, in fact, have to go on an elevator to get back to the ground floor, but I assured them it was very well-lit and perfectly safe. The dad and I ended up in the same elevator...this was their first trip to WDW, and he knew they were missing a bunch of stuff, but he was having the time of his life. Unfortunately, we were in the same elevator as a bunch of 30 somethings who had probably had too much to drink already, and were making very obnoxious and vulgar comments the whole time. Still, the ride itself is fantastic, and I wish I had one in my back yard.

I met back up with the family, and DS was very happy to see that I was okay...his exact words were "Daddy, I was so worried. I am happy to see you". And with that, he fell asleep in his stroller. So DW and I enjoyed a nice leisurely stroll around the Streets of America...except that annoying American Idol theme song kept blasting throughout the whole park...I'm sure that show is a good draw for the park, but if you're not a fan of AI, it's really cloying.

Either way, DS woke up, and I took him on TSM again...we waited standby, and would have been on in 5 minutes, if the ride hadn't broken down. As it was, we waited 20 minutes, which was the longest wait of the entire week! This time he actually played, and I only barely beat him.

Hungry again. And I'd never been to the Backlot Express, so that's where we headed. It's my new favorite place in DHS. It was empty. You could refill your drink. And my cheeseburger had onion straws on it. Life was good. DW had the Grilled Vegetable sandwich (which stood in very stark contrast to my cholesterol packed dinner), and proclaimed it to be even better than the sandwich at Columbia Harbour House. We both got cheesecake for dessert. DS didn't eat. At all. More on that later.

DS decided he wanted to ride Star Tours, which was a bit of a shock to us, since Darth Vader terrifies him. But DW took him while I fed Zetta...and he was picked to be the Rebel leader that Vader was looking for. DW was worried that it would scare him even more, until she looked down on his face, and the biggest smile in the world looked back at her. They came running back into the Backlot Express and Sam grabbed my hand and pulled me towards Star Tours. He couldn't wait to ride it with me, and show me C-3P0. I hadn't been on Star Tours 2.0 before, and not that Disney needed my approval, but I really like the changes.

Now we had a decision to make....DW had never been on the Backlot Tour, and since it may or may not be making way for Radiator Springs, we decided to ride it instead of seeing Muppet Vision 3-D.

Hey, we all make mistakes.

The sooner they get rid of the tour, the better. Without the benefit of DHS being a real, working studio, the backlot tour is no different than riding the tram in the parking lot. DS did not complain, but you could tell he was very disinterested. He was thinking of his toy, and asked me at least 3 times on the tour if he was being sweet enough to get his toy.

Of course he was. Since the day was near ending, DW and DS headed over toward the Fantasmic entrance, while DD and I went to the front of the park to pick up the toy. We got to Fantasmic and got seats...despite the fact that the park was practically empty all day, Fantasmic was packed! And eventful...
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam loved his toy. He played with it the entire 45 minutes before the show. Non-stop. DW went to get popcorn and soda. When she came back, DS devoured his popcorn. When we asked why he at popcorn and not his dinner, he said his tummy hurt during dinner, but he was better now. This would be the theme of our last day in the park. Well, I headed off to the restroom. Upon returning to our section, I noticed my wife covering Sam's ears and holding Zetta in her lap...people all around her were standing up, and looking two rows behind her. That's when I saw two 20-somethings yelling at an older gentleman...they were fighting over seats. And loudly. And with non-Disney language. Apparently the two guys had sat down, and the older gentleman kept telling them to move, because he didn't want anyone in front of him for the show. They started yelling in each others faces...I had to run and grab a CM and tell them what was going on...and his response was "settle down, there are plenty of seats". Well, the 2 guys sat back down, and the older gentleman kept kicking their bench, until finally the guys jumped up, yelled some expletives, and moved to another section. At which point in time I said to the older gentleman "You do realize you were fighting over seats to a show starring Mickey Mouse, right?"

Well, the rest of our wait was uneventful. I can't tell if I like the pre-show hosts, or wish they would stop talking. It was a toss-up.
    The show was great...Sam got a little scared, but he knew that Mickey Mouse would save the day, so he just closed his eyes during the scary parts. And then the show ended. And the masses began to exit....slowly. We had already decided we would just sit until almost everyone had left...

And then Sam had to go potty.

Grr. I grabbed his hand, and tried to make my way through the crowd. I would say "excuse me, my son has to get to the bathroom", and at least 4 people blocked me and said "yeah right". Fantasmic, while a good show, really brings out the worst in people.

Since everyone else was fighting to get to the busses, we lingered around the shops for almost an hour, until we were practically kicked out of the park. There's something especially romantic to pushing strollers filled with sleeping kids and holding your spouse's hand in an empty DHS at night. At least there is now.

To the bus. Then to the room. Then to bed. Only one more day in the parks...and it would be one of the most memorable days of my life!
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really enjoying your trip reports! They are informative & funny! Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

I love that you seem to be managing Disney with little ones so well, giving them choices and paying attention to their needs. As you say, it's always refreshing to see good parenting. It seems like it should be obvious to put kids first, but apparently it isn't always to some people. The same with being a good person. That old guy kicking seats sounds ridiculous, but the other men didn't handle it well either. Wow. But you see these things, the good and bad, and take it in stride. Glad you had a great day!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I can just feel the happiness that this day gave all of you... thanks for sharing it with us!! Glad you all were able to enjoy Fantasmic, even with the poor beginning by the ridiculously juvenile older gentleman... it is true, some part of Disney just bring out the worst in people, when they could just change their outlook and let it bring out the best. So sad.

Once again, I am on the same page as your DW - we ALWAYS have to go to Backlot Express for "my" grilled vegetable sandwich... and yes, I also agree that it is even better than our favored Lighthouse s'wich. LOVE it!!

And how cool would it be if the Backlot Tour did give way for Radiator Springs... that would be the BEST change ever. Why doesn't Disney check with it's fans on this stuff??

Glad you guys had such fun on Star Tours... it truly is so fun, isn't it? How cool Sam got picked for that spot... what a great thing for him. Sounds like he had just about the best day!!

(and ditto to what Sherri said... wish more parents handled their trips with their little ones like you and your DW!! )
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

My DH doesn't understand it, but I think that DHS is my favorite park because of all of the memories we've made there - Star Tours and SWW included. I am so glad that today was full of memory-making time for you, too. I would also agree that Backlot Tour needs to go - it's just a shell of what it was, and it is depressing. But you sure had a wonderful time, and closed out the evening in a perfect way.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

What an awesome day! I love how you give Sam some choice in what you do! It's his vacation too right?! Love reading your reports, and can't wait for the next one!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam sounds like a really great kid!! What a day you had with a mixture of great times and the ridiculous behavior of folks who are supposed to be adults in Fantasmic!! Why should someone be able to prevent someone from sitting in front of him? How silly!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I have to agree with Dsnygirl, one can feel the happiness! Enjoying your reports. What memories for you and your family.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Your wife isn't kidding, the grilled vegetable sandwich at Backlot Express is the best fast food item at WDW! Love listening to the old television music there as well. We always try to guess the song. Incredible how you recognize some but can't place which show they were from. Part of getting old I guess, but the day I am so old that I fight for a seat at Fantasmic, somebody put me out of my misery please.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for reporting!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, adults acting like children...good example to all the kids...

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO