Quantcast Beach club or Poly?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beach club or Poly?

We are looking at the pros and cons for each.
    Do they both have some form of counter service breakfast? We only eat breakfast at the resort usually a quick Mickey waffle or fruit cup. Are these available at these resorts?
    Are there any real obvious differences between the two I should consider?

Very much appreciated
    Caribbean beach...were jammin'

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would choose the Poly though both are nice resorts.

The quick service at the Poly is a dedicated quick service which means that it serves no other purpose other than being a quick service location with places to sit down after you select your food. The Beach Club quick service shares space with the shop which I found to be a bit strange. I could go to the same register to purchase my meal or the magazine I just selected.

Poly - pros:
    Lovely resort
    Walking distance to the Grand Floridian
    On the monorail (though the new monorail operating hours make this less of a pro than in the past)
    Walking distance to the Transportation and Ticket Center
    Proxmity to the Magic Kingdom
    Boat service to the Magic Kingdom
    View of evening fireworks at the Magic Kingdom

Cons:
    As this is my favorite resort, I can't really think of any cons.

Beach Club - pros:
    Walking distance to Epcot and Disney Studios
    Close proximity to Boardwalk as well as the Swan and Dolphin
    Boat service to Epcot and Disney Studios
    Best pool on Disney property

cons:
    No bus service to Epcot or Disney Studios
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly! Especially if you plan to spend a lot of time at MK, so convenient to that and Epcot via monorail. Yes, Poly's Capt Cooks is a counter service (CS) restaurant and it has the big Mickey Waffles. It is nice because you can eat your breakfast on the outside patio every morning, with the view of the lush landscaping and beautiful birds. Just a great way to start every morning. I don't believe Beach Club has a CS restaurant.

The grounds of Poly, lit tiki torches, music, the view of fireworks at night, and electric water parade, great restaurants, monorail. You can't go wrong with Poly.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Only word of caution on the Poly: the rumor mill is buzzing that there will be major construction starting at the resort. No specific dates or announcements, but if you are planning to go in 2013 be prepared. In fact, we were planning to stay at the Poly for our 25th anniversary next May and decided to go to the Yacht Club instead. No way I want to deal with ANY major resort construction if I'm spending that much money.

If you are planning to go this year, you should be fine.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Faline summed it up pretty well, but here's my 2 cents:

Poly:

Pros:
    24 hr. Dole Whip available (and other food too) at Capt' Cook's

Cons:
    No hot tub

Beach Club:

Pros:
    Stormalong Bay is a bit more than a pool. Very nice!
    Lots of stuff you can walk to, restaurants, Epcot, HS

Cons:
    Usually shares bus service with YC, BW, Swan, Dolphin and the BW and BC Villas. This makes the bus rides long and sometimes too crowded.

I'll probably stay at the Beach Club this year. It is hard to beat the location.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Others have added many pros and cons and I will try not to repeat too many of them. Both resorts are very nice, so you won't make a "bad choice" either way.

Poly

Pros - lots of fun stuff going and the enjoyment of staying at a truly iconic resort (which is a rather intangible quality that means a lot to some people and nothing to others).

The Monorail is not just convenient for travel to Epcot/MK and the eateries at GF and CR...it is super cool to watch go by form your room if you have view where you can see it. It adds to the whole disney immersion feeling the resort offers.

Cons - While the lodges have interior hallways, you do have to go outside and into the weather anytime you want to eat, go to the gift shop, or whatever. We prefer accommodations (especially in very hot or rainy weather) where that is not an issue.

No true hot tub at the poly

If you have kids, the main pool at the Poly is kind of like the grinch's heart...three sizes too small...it always feels very crowded.

Also at the pool you have lots of foot traffic coming through at a fairly constant rate requiring you to keep a much closer eye on kids and stuff.

The interior of the rooms are fairly dark (not an issue for me) but for some we have traveled with it has been.

Overall the resort has a very busy feel....constant flow of guests through the lobby and gift shop with folks arriving to eat and enjoy the restaurants and simply look around.

Beach Club

Pros - if you have park hopper passes and thus daily access to Epcot, the dining options become almost unlimited when you take the combined eateries of BC/YC/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin and World Showcase into account. ( I purposefully left out the studios because they are far enough away to make eating there less convenient).

The pool area will likely be the best pool you or anyone in your party have ever experienced. It is genuinely unique, especially with the sandy floor, beach area for kids, and very long slide. It can also handle a tremendous amount of people without feeling overrun.

There is not lot a lot of foot traffic through the actual resort itself and to enter the pool area at all you need your roomkey or pool bracelet.

Beaches and Cream ice cream.

Walk to minigolf

Cons:

While the rooms are much more bright and cheerful, they have a more generic feel than those at the Poly.

While Epcot is an easy walk, be aware that the walk to Hollywood Studios is a bit more robust...we usually walk it, but at the end of a long day or on a very muggy Florida morning it can be a bit of a chore.

Kids have to cross through a common walkway open to all WDW guests to get to the slide entrance.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not a huge fan of Y&B.No real quick service food area.Great rooms.We find that the pool is always busy so we opt fot quiet pool.Great location to Epcot.We will stay again but The Poly has it all.I used to miss the hot tub but we found a spot on the end of the pool that has seating and jets and is almost like a built in hottub and the ambience of Hawaii is unmistakable.Monorail service to both MK and Epcot plus all the wonderful restaurants on the loop.Go with the Poly!
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather be able to walk to Epcot than MK (dinner at a different country every night! ), so I prefer Y&BC and Boardwalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Two great resorts. I would always go with the Poly as it is my favorite resort at WDW. For me it is the feeling of being in the heart of WDW. You can always see the castle, riding the monorail, and being close to the MK. The food at the Poly is fantastic with Kona and Ohana. The atmosphere is very relaxing compared to many of the other resorts.

As for the Beach Club it is very nice, has a great pool, and we love the Epcot area. It is a very short walk to Epcot and the World Showcase to eat. We enjoy the boat to DHS as well.

Can't go wrong with either resort but the Poly edges out every other resort IMHO.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Pros - if you have park hopper passes and thus daily access to Epcot, the dining options become almost unlimited when you take the combined eateries of BC/YC/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin and World Showcase into account. ( I purposefully left out the studios because they are far enough away to make eating there less convenient).
    AND because most of the food choices at DHS are pretty :-)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: