Quantcast Sanibel Island help?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Sanibel Island help?

We're already starting to plan our next WDW trip in May 2013, and we'd like to add a couple beach days at the front end of the trip. We're looking at Sanibel Island, but none of us have been there before and don't know much about it. Can any of my fellow Intercotees offer any information or advice on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc. in Sanibel? We were looking at hotels and resorts over the weekend, and found the Island Inn. It looks nice online, but I've learned the hard way before that looks can be deceiving! Has anyone ever stayed there before? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Sanibel. We were planning to add it to the end of our Universal trip last year, but decided to try Cape San Blas instead because it was on the way home (direction-wise). Sadly, the beach portion did not happen because of work.

However, I have a friend who vacations with extended family on Sanibel every year. He just returned from a trip and said they rented condos on Signal Inn. He said they were very nice, but Sand Dollar and Compass Point were better, though. Also, suggested looking into Sea Grape. As far as eating, he suggested eating on Captiva Island. Mucky Duck, Bubble Room. Best raw bar and great grouper on Sanibel is at the Lazy Flamingo.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

My parents and grand parents all retired to Ft Myers Beach and we always spent time on Sanibel. Great beaches and a very tropical feel to the island. Its also a great place to look for shells.

We like to swim near the Lighthouse and many time seen Dolphins swimming with us and the sunsets are awesome.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We lived in Naples and went to Sanibel/Captiva for day trips. A must do for us is a visit to the Bubble Room on Captiva for lunch or dinner. We love the nostalgia and the Bubble Scouts (servers) can't be beat. The Mucky Duck is another great restaurant on the beach on Captiva as previous poster noted. I'm sure there are plenty of great restaurants on Sanibel too. I always check TripAdvisor for hotel reviews.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great suggestions! We might have to check out the Bubble Room for one of our meals. Any more suggestions are welcome!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Sanibel For a weekend. It's great for shelling but because of that, it's hard to walk on! SHARP!

My family has discovered these beaches to be our top 3:
    1- Vero- staying at Disney vero beach resort!
    2. Longboat Key / Lido key - w/shopping and dining at St Armand's Circle - NICE!!!
    3. Ft Walton / Destin
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    It's great for shelling but because of that, it's hard to walk on! SHARP!
    I agree, impossible to walk on many of the beaches there, bring beach shoes! Even sandles may be a bit tough to wear sometimes.

As far as hotels, I have only stayed at the Sundial and it was very nice and right on the beach. Most of the time we rent out a house, which are usually super nice! The people renting their places out are great people who have multiple houses and are simply away at those dates. Ive never run into issues with those places and prefer them over hotels now.

The BEST beach on Sanibel Island (in my opinion) is Bowman's Beach. The shells there are amazing and it always seems to be nice and quiet there. Be sure to bring change, there are parking meters in the parking lot there and YES there is a person who inspects these meters.

While you are there you MUST eat at The Bubble Room and get the Famouse Bubble Bread! Not to mention there is like an 8'foot tall stuffed Mickey hiding in there!

~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~
    Stayed: Contemorary (1), Polynesian (Many), Old Key West (Many), Floridian (1), Yatch Club (!), Boardwalk (1)

Post Thanks / Like

Snorkeling off the beach at Sanibel/Captiva is great, if you are enjoy that. Really all you need is a good swim mask. Clear water and lots of shells on the bottom in the shallows just offshore.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: