Quantcast Say goodbye to FastPass as we know it. :-(

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Say goodbye to FastPass as we know it. :-(

So you could call this a rumor, but I have heard some information recently (from someone within Imagineering) that regular Fastpass is going to be gone soon. I know we've discussed the Next Gen/X-Pass thing a lot, but we were never sure if it would be something new, in addition to the current Fastpass system... or if it would be a complete replacement of the current Fastpass system. Sounds like it's the latter.

Here's what I've learned:
    - The average guest uses between 1-2 fastpasses per day at the parks. Most people collect more than that, but never use them, or they lose them.
    - Because of this, Fastpass is becoming a reservation-only service, being called Fastpass+. They don't feel that enough guests will be upset by this, because again, the average guest only uses one a day. In her words, "it's not a big enough dent in the system", so "day-of fastpasses will become a thing of the past."
    - You can see evidence of this in that the kiosks for the Next-Gen/X-Pass/Fastpass+ are temporary plugins and aren't needed for very long. As well, there are no Fastpass kiosks slated for the Fantasyland expansion.
    - She tells me that all current Fastpass kiosks are slated to be removed.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's what I've heard!

Some other things she mentioned:
    Basically, the system breaks down like this: Fastpass was/is broken because a minority of people were exploiting the system. Who were those people? They were the FP super-users on the high end of the spectrum. They would send out "runners", collect FP tickets en mass, and return well past their posted windows. They would send out "runners", collect FP tickets en mass, and return well past their posted windows. FP+ is designed to appeal to these people who can plan in advance and be secured a spot while making sure they don't break the system. It has also been expanded to other attractions on a sliding scale of investment. Spend more money, get more fastpasses. The big ticket spenders will get more passes. Value Resorts? Not so many. So to the generic guest, this is no change, and there's also no more visible infrastructure outside every attraction. The FP signage and machines and all that caused far more confusion than they were worth. So, yes, if you're an AP holder or whatever, the system changing basically isn't aimed at you. The good news is that the system popping up at other attractions, like Mansion, should have next to zero effect on standby. And at those attractions where the line gets clogged, its usually because of the super users exploiting the system. So let's take a collective deep breath about the FP+ system. It will be an improvement. NextGen itself is going to be a huge fiasco but some of it will be stuff that needed to happen.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    NextGen itself is going to be a huge fiasco but some of it will be stuff that needed to happen.
    There are some interesting points in there, but you ended with a comment that "NextGen itself is going to be a huge fiasco." It's a cliffhanger. What are the concerns there?

Post Thanks / Like

I recenlty read a speculative article on this new system. From my reading I got the impression that you will get more "Fastpasses" based on how far out you book your trip.

The article I read also said they will take into account DVC members and annual passholders but not Disney Cast Members and those using their guest tickets.

I really don't think this is going to be the end of the world. It's not going to stop you from using the standby line if you want to be spontaneos. Even using the current FP system requires some planning. I think I will wait and pass judgement until after the system is in place and running instead of getting myself all in a dither over something that I am unsure of.
    Last edited by disneynarula; 05-17-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: grammar fix
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity the area which you quoted, was that what your source was saying? I found one sentence funny I don't know if I am alone in this but if your source said this:
    They would send out "runners", collect FP tickets en mass, and return well past their posted windows.
    I find that funny, because I ultimately blame Disney for that. When FP were originally designed with the return window it was pretty clear that if your ticket stated return between 3 - 4pm then you would need to return between 3 - 4. It is ultimately Disney's fault that they ALLOWED these "runners" and the like to return hours later. It should have been clear from the beginning between Disney and the CM's that anyway past x-time should not be allowed on the ride, I mean heck the back of the tickets clearly states these rules. But when these "runners" people found out that they were ALLOWED to do so by pretty much every CM at every ride then that alllowed the system to be abused. But that's my own two cents. lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Concerns

I guess for me the concern is for those like myself who own a timeshare off Disney property or stay at other off property resorts. I visit usually twice a year and spend 4-5 days at the parks for each visit as well as dining in the parks and a couple of non-park character restaurants, but none of this will get me access to Fastpasses under the new Fastpass+ system. If they take the machines out of the park and I have to ride standby for everything I think I will stop going.

I recently did a 1 day course through the Disney Institute where the instructors mentioned that the average park guest is worth $62K in lifetime revenue, I know that some will be more and some will be less, but that would seem like enough to keep most companies happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a REALLY hard time believing that Disney will revert to a Fastpass system that is ONLY for onsite guests.

They have said over and over again that "Fastpass will always be free" as well as available to ALL guests.

I have no problem with this new Fastpass Plus (or whatever) system where you make reservations in advance being restricted to onsite guests, but for them to just up and remove a system that has been around and successful for over a decade...I don't think so.

As for the "there are no fastpass kiosks in the Fantasyland expansion" line, so what? Who's to say that those rides will even OFFER Fastpass? Little Mermaid at DCA does not have Fastpass. Dumbo never has. Ditto Barnstormer. They may decide to make NONE of the Fantasyland expansion attractions FP attractions. Means nothing. Or maybe these will have only the new FP+, and not traditional FP. Who knows?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potzie View Post
    I guess for me the concern is for those like myself who own a timeshare off Disney property or stay at other off property resorts.
    Not to offend anyone who stays off property but you are not the type of guests Disney is really hoping for.

This is the ideal Disney Guest they are looking for

1. Takes Magical Express to and from Resort
    2. Purchases a Park Hopper Ticket & Dining Plan
    3. 3 Stays at a Disney Resort (preferably at Deluxe)
    4. 4. Spends all their vacation money on property

Universal offers extra perks to their resort guests and Sea World is also starting to do the same thing. Disney started it with E-Ride Nights and now EMHs. This is just the next logical step. It all comes down to a competition for the tourist money.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Disney really needs to release some news on the system, they are losing the PR battle big time.

I've said it a million times, if I have to reserve a fast pass months in advance, then I'll take my kids once every 3 to 4 years instead of every year.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

I am fine scheduling in advance. I'm not sure if we would actually do that, but we don't use fp a lot now anyway. However, I don't like the idea that it could be tied to your level of accommodations. Part of the magic at Disney is an escape from everyday realities. A lot of things in life aren't fair leading to many reasons why some people may be able to afford more expensive accommodations, but a line is the great equalizer. There has been a lot of research on the psychology of lines and people are most satisfied when they feel things are fair. I would benefit if people at deluxe resorts got more fastpasses, but I don't think it's fair. I also don't like the profit aspect of Disney as a business being so obvious in the parks. I know Disney is a business and I know the function of any business is to be as profitable as possible, but I don't want to be confronted by that while I'm on vacation. To me that's one of the things that cheapens the experience at Universal and I don't want Disney to become that.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to wonder. For all the people who say they will stop / reduce the amount of time they spend in Disney b/c they can't get a few FPs... makes me wonder if they are truly Disney fans?

Said differently, seems that they are not the demographic Disney is going after b/c they have very little loyalty to the brand...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing something? It sounds to me like you need internet access and computer literacy to use this new system If so, Disney risks alienating the people who are neither. I know it's hard to believe, but there are many people out there who don't have a smart phone, and who don't know what a mouse is used for.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that bothers me about this is that we are not huge planners. We made 2-3 ADR's for a week long trip, and as AP holders, we make decisions about what parks to go to pretty last minute. It won't cause us not to go to Disney, but it will be a frustration to us and the way we travel.
    Also, what about the average Disney guest who has no idea that ADR's need to be made months in advance? They will also not be knowledgable about the fastpass+ system and will leave Disney with an even worse taste in their mouth. Of course there are still the people who will come home from a trip to Disney complaining about how the lines were so long and Disney wanted them to put a credit card in the machine everytime they wanted to get a fastpass, so maybe this won't change things as much as I think they will.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadowden View Post
    I have to wonder. For all the people who say they will stop / reduce the amount of time they spend in Disney b/c they can't get a few FPs... makes me wonder if they are truly Disney fans?

Said differently, seems that they are not the demographic Disney is going after b/c they have very little loyalty to the brand...
    What is a "true disney fan"? We are fans, no doubt, we've spent a lot of money at WDW in the past few years. We are taking a couple of years off because we have a 10 month old son and another one on the way now. If we werent in the middle of having children then I'm sure we would be going to disney 3 to 4 times this year.

However, as much I love Disney, its still a vacation to me. My wife and I work hard year round and when we go on vacation we like to sit back, relax, and have a great time. For us scheduling rides out months in advance isn't fun.

We are schedulers, we plan everything out on a spreadsheet, so it sounds like we would be the one's that love this, right?

Wrong, you should see our spreadsheet when we get to disney, it ends up getting trashed because we change our minds about what we want to do. We've been at DHS before and looked at each other and said "Why are we here?" The answer, because our spreadsheet told us we were supposed to be there. We hopped on the boat and went to Epcot and had a great time.

I want to be able to do what I want to, when I want to while I'm at Disney. With this new system, it doesn't sound like you'll be able to.

My children will grow up going to Disney, some of the best memories I have growing up were at Disney. Under this fast pass plan we will not take our children every single year, we'll take them other places and put Disney on a 3 or 4 year rotation.

So I guess in your eyes, because I don't say "yes" to everything Disney says, I'm not a "true Disney fan". So be it then.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoToo View Post
    Am I missing something? It sounds to me like you need internet access and computer literacy to use this new system If so, Disney risks alienating the people who are neither. I know it's hard to believe, but there are many people out there who don't have a smart phone, and who don't know what a mouse is used for.
    People with money probably do...
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So you could call this a rumor, but I have heard some information recently (from someone within Imagineering) that regular Fastpass is going to be gone soon. I know we've discussed the Next Gen/X-Pass thing a lot, but we were never sure if it would be something new, in addition to the current Fastpass system... or if it would be a complete replacement of the current Fastpass system. Sounds like it's the latter.

Here's what I've learned:
    - The average guest uses between 1-2 fastpasses per day at the parks. Most people collect more than that, but never use them, or they lose them.
    - Because of this, Fastpass is becoming a reservation-only service, being called Fastpass+. They don't feel that enough guests will be upset by this, because again, the average guest only uses one a day. In her words, "it's not a big enough dent in the system", so "day-of fastpasses will become a thing of the past."
    - You can see evidence of this in that the kiosks for the Next-Gen/X-Pass/Fastpass+ are temporary plugins and aren't needed for very long. As well, there are no Fastpass kiosks slated for the Fantasyland expansion.
    - She tells me that all current Fastpass kiosks are slated to be removed.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's what I've heard!

If your source is who I think she is, this is very reliable information.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadowden View Post

True fans can and will change alliances/teams if their team/brand is not performing
    That being said, we will take a wait and see attitude on this... by the way, it sure seems the new Fantasy land editions and BTM are looking like winners so far, maybe we will be able to say the same about FP+!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This all seems a little strange to me. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater so to speak.

Runners? Presumably its still one ticket per person and one FP at a time (or thereabouts). Its not like someone is magically getting 50 FP's when they should only get one is it?

If seems the only problem recited that makes sense is the window issue and the fix for that is far easier than redoing the system, just start enforcing the rule.

I think what we are going to see is that fewer people use the FP system at all. If i have to pick what ride I’m going to be on October 27th at 2pm I will skip it. I find it hard to believe I am the only person who thinks this.

I can’t help but think this is painfully obvious which leads me to believe (if the rumor is true) that Disney is trying to back off of FP in total.

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who feel that the new system will create an "unfair" situation, how? You will have NO idea which guests are staying Deluxe vs. Value. You will never know how many FP any particular guest has scheduled. This will be very non-obtrusive. Everything will be encoded onto RFID devices (cards, probably) and people will simply show up at the attraction at their scheduled window, swipe their card, and walk in. There will be no way to tell who is who and who has what.

There already IS a "class system" set up at WDW with the different tiers of resorts, and within those resorts, club level, suite level, etc.

If you think that having more money at WDW does NOT equal more perks already, you are sadly misinformed.

BUT, I do think that Disney would be making a HUGE mistake to eliminate the current free FP system altogether in favor of something that relies SO heavily on technology that they have not ever proven to be able to master (i.e. THE INTERNET)

There are already reports of glitches in the system from testing. They need to first of all, figure it out so that it works 100% of the time, and THEN they can think about switching it all over.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

People, what did you do before the Fast Pass???? It's not the end of the world!! So you have to plan a little more in advance which rides are the most important to you on the day you are there and make your way to them and wait the time to get on. I do like the fast pass, but it’s not going to stop me from going or riding what I came to ride. What do you do when you get there and they are all out? Do you leave or make the best of what you have for the day. I guess since I have been to WDW so many times it’s not something we think about any more (which rides we are doing) we make the best of the day and ride what we can. When my kids were little there was no “fast pass” We had to wait it out like everyone else.. The only place I would say you definitely need a “fast Pass” is Universal during Halloween Horror night.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW a Novel concept - WAITING IN LINE!!

That's what you'll do if you choose not to use the new FP system if they choose to go with the XPass system.

While some people refuse to wait in line if it will be over XX amount of minutes, I find myself enjoying the lines. People watching, 'mind games' while waiting, chatting up the nicer line fellows to the front or back of you, discussing life with your children, etc.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: