Quantcast First-timer--couple questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First-timer--couple questions

So...very last minute we decided to take DD for Disney World for her 4th birthday next week. We're staying off-site because we're basically squatting with a friend who will be there for a convention. As a west coaster, I've been to Disneyland several times, so I know the basics of Disney, but I have a couple specific questions.

On her actual b-day we have breakfast reservations at Crystal Palace. As I said, last minute, so the only time slot was 9:50. Here are my questions:
    1. If I want to get into the MK when it opens at 9, what time do we actually need to be there?
    2. How long do you think it typically takes to get there from a hotel in the Lake Buena Vista/Downtown Disney area?
    3. If we get into the park at 9, will I have time to get her birthday button from town hall before we have to be at crystal palace (I guess by about 940)
    4. Do I need her birth certificate or anything to prove it's her b-day?
    5. If we go to AK the next day, can she get another b-day button there, even though it's not her real b-day? I am not trying to game the system, I just know it will make her feel extra special.

Thanks so much...I am in awe of the knowledge on this board...and getting freaked out by my lack of planning!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anchorgirl View Post
    So...very last minute we decided to take DD for Disney World for her 4th birthday next week. We're staying off-site because we're basically squatting with a friend who will be there for a convention. As a west coaster, I've been to Disneyland several times, so I know the basics of Disney, but I have a couple specific questions.

On her actual b-day we have breakfast reservations at Crystal Palace. As I said, last minute, so the only time slot was 9:50. Here are my questions:
    1. If I want to get into the MK when it opens at 9, what time do we actually need to be there?
    2. How long do you think it typically takes to get there from a hotel in the Lake Buena Vista/Downtown Disney area?
    3. If we get into the park at 9, will I have time to get her birthday button from town hall before we have to be at crystal palace (I guess by about 940)
    4. Do I need her birth certificate or anything to prove it's her b-day?
    5. If we go to AK the next day, can she get another b-day button there, even though it's not her real b-day? I am not trying to game the system, I just know it will make her feel extra special.

Thanks so much...I am in awe of the knowledge on this board...and getting freaked out by my lack of planning!
    1. If you're driving, be IN the MK parking lot and monorail/ferry boat station (called "TTC") by 8AM. You still must ride from there to MK on the monorail.

2. Figure 35-45 minutes, in case of traffic slowdowns.

You'll want to be through the MK ticket turnstiles and place to see the MK "Rope Drop Ceremony" that takes place on the Train Station platform starting about 10 minutes before the 9AM opening time.

(What is the DATE of your MK day? Hope it's not an AM Extra Magic Hours date.)

3. Yes, but I'd do that before the park opens at the outside-the-park Guest Relations, or at the Guest Relations at MK's parking lot monorail station, TTC.

4. Nope.

5. Yes. But, she can wear the same button the entire trip.

Post Thanks / Like

The opening show to MK is wonderful and very magical for a 4 year old, it starts about 10 minutes before park opening. I'd be there by 8:30 if the park opens at 9 that morning.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

BelleBeauty Guest

I definitely recommend being at MK early to watch the rope drop ceremony. If it is her birthday, you might want to arrive very early in the hopes of possibly being picked to help open the park. You will definitely have time to get a birthday button before your breakfast ADR, and you can actually get one almost anywhere in the World and save it for her actually birthday. She can also wear it for the rest of the trip

Post Thanks / Like

First, to Intercot!

As others have said, allow 45 mins from the time you leave the hotel until you get to the TTC and take the ferry/monorail to MK. You can get the birthday button at guest relations while you're waiting for the park to open. You don't need to show proof of age/dob to get a button. The buttons are the same, regardless of where you get them. Not a problem getting one from AK too...just realize it's the same as the one you'll get from MK.

The biggest shock for you (compated to DL) will be the shear size of WDW. Where you can walk pretty much everywhere at DL, things are spread out at WDW. Only parks you can walk between are Epcot & DHS, and that's a good 10 minute walk. Allow plenty of time for transportation.

Hope you guys have a magical vacation and that it's a birthday your little one will remember forever!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tygger7 View Post
    Only parks you can walk between are Epcot & DHS, and that's a good 10 minute walk.
    For most guests, that walk would be 20-30 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone.
    We'll actually be taking the hotel shuttle to MK. It's not an extra magic day. Does the shuttle stop at the monorail or can it take you right to the gate? I didn't realize you could get through the turnstile before the rope drop...never really thought about it and never got to disneyland that early!
    Brilliant to get her button the day before--that never crossed my mind!
    and thanks for the heads up the buttons are all the same, for some reason I thought each park had its own

Post Thanks / Like

Off site shuttles drop you off (and pick you up) at the Ticket & Transportation Center (TTC) and you will take the monorail or ferry to the MK (10-20 mins more.)
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone.
    We'll actually be taking the hotel shuttle to MK. It's not an extra magic day.

Does the shuttle stop at the monorail or can it take you right to the gate? I didn't realize you could get through the turnstile before the rope drop...never really thought about it and never got to disneyland that early!
    If it's not a Disney-owned hotel, its shuttle will drop you at TTC, then you must ride the monorail to the MK gates.

Sadly, many times a non-Disney resort shuttle bus will not get you to the MK area in time for the opening of the park (Rope Drop.)

You need to inquire about that.

If the shuttle does not leave your resort by about 7:30-7:45AM, you may not get to the MK gates in time for the Rope Drop Ceremony (or you may be far back in the crowd.)

Staying off-site and not driving your own car can be a real problem. Non-Disney buses are often unreliable and unpredictable, especially for arriving early and/or staying late.

Certainly a much less flexible transportation choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would definitely prefer to stay on-site...but we got the room free so we can't complain too much
    Thanks again for all your help. I want to make this as magical as possible for her without over-stressing her

Post Thanks / Like

You and your family will have an amazing time...what a wonderful birthday for a little girl!! As most have said....leave plenty of time for transportation, but other than that, it will be wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI, if you are planning on going to Downtown Disney before going to the parks then you can get a button at Guest Relations there. It's behind the Ghariddelli shop. And there is nothing wrong with wearing a Happy Birthday button AND a First Time button!
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would definitely prefer to stay on-site...but we got the room free so we can't complain too much
    My comment is not about where you are staying, but that the timing of getting to the parks (which was your specific question) from a non-Disney resort without a rental car can be problematic.

The non-Disney hotel shuttles are not run with the attention to detail and timing offered by the many on-site Disney buses.
    The off-site shuttles may not leave early enough in the mornings, and they certainly run with far less frequency, and they don't drop guests at the same areas as do the Disney buses. It's quite possible that your bus would serve more than one park, and who knows what order those parks would be visited?

Hitting proper timing for Rope Drop and/or an early ADR may be difficult, if not impossible.

Just be prepared to not be able to get around with accurate timing and ease.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, no I didn't take your response negatively at all. Two days ago, I didn't even know about a rope drop, and now I am sad I might miss it! I can see how this all gets so addictive!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bleukarma View Post
    Just an FYI, if you are planning on going to Downtown Disney before going to the parks then you can get a button at Guest Relations there. It's behind the Ghariddelli shop. And there is nothing wrong with wearing a Happy Birthday button AND a First Time button!
    Awesome! We can get it the day before, which is the day we arrive! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The Opening Ceremony is such a fun thing to watch. I was able to record it the last time we were there. Also, after the you enter the park, make your way down Main Street, USA and on Main Street right across from the Crystal Palace they do the Main Street, USA Trolly show. That was such fun to watch.

And also, make time to watch The Dapper Dans. Something about Barbershop music on Main Street, USA that feels so comfortable, like an old slipper.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could take a taxi that day so you can get there early, that is if your hotel shuttle doesn't run early.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

It is cool to have on a birthday button. Everyone will speak to you. If you stay for the parades the characters will wave to you and some will wish you a Happy Birthday. Make siren she wears it all day! Also I have seen people wearing lots of buttons. I hope it is a great birthday! Enjoy your trip!

Shannon

Post Thanks / Like

Birthday buttons are great! We usually visit a week or so before my son's actual birthday so that he doesn't miss any school! A CM once told me as long as your birthday is at least 6 months before or after the day you are there, you can get a birthday button. It took me a second, but then I a had a good laugh!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we just got back after having an AMAZING time. Yeah, she spent her birthday character breakfast cowering under the table, but other than that, she was enchanted. She was too tired and jet-lagged to do everything I had planned, but I took it at her pace and it was truly magical.
    Thanks so much for all your advice...it was a wonderful week!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: